• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bargain Basement Bulls in Canada?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SASH

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea how bull prices are this spring? I know that at the Douglas bull sale last year they passed alot of pretty good quality animals. Of course they have an $1800.00 floor price. What are bulls going for out there this year? Any light on the horizon? Also what are guys going for as far as breed and frame size. I've heard alot of guys seem to be trying to bring their frame size down a bit. while keeping birthweights and weaning weights fairly high. Are there alot more short stocky bulls then there were a few years ago?

It is amazing how different people value bulls. Some try to save on buying bulls but loose in the market. We sell all our bulls at home, and are having good success.

We don't over price them but do price them fairly. Sell 80% of our bulls to repeat buyers or referals.

As for the size of cattle, their does seem to down sizing, however they have to watch that the calves have length at birth to still calve easily.

We sell semen here for a major company and they do try to have the cattle moderate and thick at yearling age. Here we don't chase fads but try to be middle of the road and then we are right more often than not.

It may not be what some like, but to chase fads your are always three years behind.

CA :shock:

but to chase fads your are always three years behind.

I hear you loud and clear on that one. I've been slowly turning all my cattle black over the past few years. I have no doubt that I'll just finally get them how I want them and the market will want something else. :roll:

So far demand for 2 yr old Angus bulls in Southern Alberta is strong. The first sale had some over feds average close to $3000.

I have been selling from $1500 to $4000 on 2 yr olds in the yard. They aren't fat by a long shot, and were just wintered as calves. The feed savings alone are worth it.

Latest posts