• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BC Lookout or Matrix Observations???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redbull

Reaction score
We're considering using Lookout or Matrix for a shot of moderation and rib for some future replacements. Any thoughts or experience with the bulls? Do you have other recommendations in bulls that will add a shot of rib and fleshing abllity while keeping udder quality. Thanks in advance.

We've used matrix and the hiefiers are awesome... Real nice and I can find no fault yet..Good mothers and we haven't assisted any with calving. Ask me in a couple of years.... And I guess the bulls have no fault also..... But we're not a purebred outfit.... So the trash behind us might make a differance!!! LOL....

We were going to use Matrix, but the information I found is that he
is BIG. I think it will depend on your definition of big. I think in
Katrinas country, they have the forage so size isn't as important
as it is in our country. So if you truly want moderate, you might try something else.

I've seen some Bennett Totals that were awfully good. FWIW
Magnitude will do what you want...616 is another...good rib, good
udder. Watch the feet with 616, or so I've been told.

We have used Matrix I retained 7 heifers that calved this year. They have all done a good job with their calves maintained body condition and bred back five of them on the first AI the other two natural service. I was a bit concerned about size being from Florida we want moderate cattle, big just won't work, but these cows are moderate deep ribbed and efficient. I will use him again. It will be intresting to see how the cows do now on their second calf.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

Used Matrix on some fall calvers and if you want to moderate size and add fleshing ability there are probably better Emblazon sons. The hundred or so pounds of yearling weight are for real and that won't moderate most cows unless they are elephants.

I would go with lookout thicker and will moderate better. The matrix bull is narrow in the hip but, does have wonderful profiles.

Both bulls are direct oppsites in my opion. Lookout is normal sized . They claim he is a 5 frame, he is bigger than that. I have seen him as a mature bull. He has a great top hip loin and leg on him . Really impressed the way he is put together. However many bulls have more growth from weaning to yearling than Lookout. Lookout is a stock beef bull with eye appeal. I am going try a Lookout X 004 son this year.
I think one of the owners of Lookout is more of a ranching operation than Matrix. Semen on Lookout is down to normal price right now 17.00

We have used Lookout pretty heavily the last 2 years of AI as a followup to Bando 9074 and have been impressed with the heifers. They frame out a little bigger than I expected and he is reported at, but they have fit pretty well here. Call me in 20 years and I will let you know if they made money...
We will be breeding our first Lookouts this summer. We have not helped any of his calves at birth and he was AI'ed to cows 3 years and under and first calf heifers. The heifers are pretty little (700 pounds when AI time rolled around) and have had no problems having his calves.
Matrix was WAY too much power for what we use an Angus bull for.

Saw a couple of Matrix calves this past weekend, personally I was very impressed with them. The year older half brother and half sister by Morgan's Direction were there as well. On those cows Matrix did a better job than MD did. The guy asked me if rebreeding them the same way was the right call and I said absolutely.. Very nice rib shape, decent thickness, the right combination of length and depth of rib, good calves.

Just wanted to add that when I saw Lookout last summer and fall. Bennet Total and Bando 9074 were pened by him. Bennet is a good bull but much smaller than Lookout or Bando 9074. Lookout is not a stud now but Bennet and Bando 9074 are residents at the Strafford facilty ( I assume) Bando 9074 still looks good and still standout in the barn over many of the others as of last week. Personally not impressed with the new yearlings comming in. I have not seen any SAV bulls.

Latest posts