• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Be sure you smile!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jeannie said:
nr said:
Hurtfully, thinly-disguised racism. :(

nr, I'm curious as to how you arrive at the conclusion of 'racism' from a simple photograph taken by a photographer who obviously was not very good at his/her art?

I showed this photograph to my main man "Willie" this afternoon after the controversy, and asked him if it was racist. Now bear in mind "Willie" is a black man I have known for many years and he is "Family" to me.

His comment was, "well, nigga shoulda smiled". Was that racism too?

Those that are looking for racism can find it anywhere they want.

Wife don't allow couch potatoism!

katrina said:
Excuse me for poking my nose in.......BUT WHAT THE HECK IS FURNITURE DISEASE :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:
Mikey You're pudgy????? I would of guessed you short and skinny... :wink:
And Bama with a pony-tail which I know is not.......Isn't it amazing how one imagines each other????

Katrina---so glad you asked so that i did not have to!! :wink: I have also heard it called "dinkey do" disease!!! :shock: :shock:

Mike said:
Jeannie said:
nr said:

nr, I'm curious as to how you arrive at the conclusion of 'racism' from a simple photograph taken by a photographer who obviously was not very good at his/her art?

I showed this photograph to my main man "Willie" this afternoon after the controversy, and asked him if it was racist. Now bear in mind "Willie" is a black man I have known for many years and he is "Family" to me.

No, Mike, that was not racism. Neither was the picture - the whole point of asking how nr arrived at the conclusion of 'racism'. As far as the couch potatoism is concerned, I had never heard of furniture disease, did not read far enough to find the answer, and that was all I could think of. :oops: I hope I did not inadvertantly insult you or anything, but I'll apologize in advance, just in case.

Jeannie said:
Mike said:
Jeannie said:

No, Mike, that was not racism. Neither was the picture - the whole point of asking how nr arrived at the conclusion of 'racism'. As far as the couch potatoism is concerned, I had never heard of furniture disease, did not read far enough to find the answer, and that was all I could think of. :oops: I hope I did not inadvertantly insult you or anything, but I'll apologize in advance, just in case.

You haven't insulted me one bit. :wink:

Jeannie said:
Mike said:
Jeannie said:

:D :D

Jeannie said:
nr said:

A person probably first has to experience being in a looked-down-upon minority to understand how a joke/picture/comment can be hurtful and damaging. Some can take a racial joke in stride, but many would interpret that picture as one more slap at their dark skin. And they're already feeling inferior, put-down, criticized. Is it really worth causing pain for a laugh?

If you want to know what really thought when I saw that picture was" Don't all men become invisible when they get married" :cowboy:

P.S. Reader is it OK to call you "READER the MAMA"

nr said:
Jeannie said:
nr said:

A person probably first has to experience being in a looked-down-upon minority to understand how a joke/picture/comment can be hurtful and damaging. Some can take a racial joke in stride, but many would interpret that picture as one more slap at their dark skin. And they're already feeling inferior, put-down, criticized. Is it really worth causing pain for a laugh?

Darlin, you are using your high-handed holier-than-thou crap on the wrong person!!! I was married for almost 10 years to a black man, so I know about racism and I also know about going to the supermarket/pet store/department store/ and every other place you can imagine and having white people treat us like we were lepers or from another planet. THAT WAS RACISM, a photograph taken by a photographer who cannot be bothered to check and make sure a man's face is going to be discernible from a equally black background IS NOT!

P.S. I might also add that for the duration of our marriage, we lived in the Deep South!

Jeannie said:
nr said:
Jeannie said:

Darlin, you are using your high-handed holier-than-thou crap on the wrong person!!! I was married for almost 10 years to a black man, so I know about racism and I also know about going to the supermarket/pet store/department store/ and every other place you can imagine and having white people treat us like we were lepers or from another planet. THAT WAS RACISM, a photograph taken by a photographer who cannot be bothered to check and make sure a man's face is going to be discernible from a equally black background IS NOT!

P.S. I might also add that for the duration of our marriage, we lived in the Deep South!

Jeannie, don't get upset. It's always the one's who aren't around black people who are always biatching about racism. I will comfortably say that I have more black friends than anyone here and none of them would find this racist. Let it go, they are brainwashed and ignorant to the real world.

Mike said:
Jeannie said:
nr said:

Jeannie, don't get upset. It's always the one's who aren't around black people who are always biatching about racism. I will comfortably say that I have more black friends than anyone here and none of them would find this racist. Let it go, they are brainwashed and ignorant to the real world.

You are right, of course. Thank you, Mike! :)

reader (the Second) said:
Jeannie said:
nr said:

I can't match you but I'll tell you it was disgusting how people on the phone would treat my husband because of his SPANISH accent. I would get on the phone and give 'em h**l. Funny thing is this is a very educated (Physics M.S.), trilingual, cultured guy from Argentina. People treated him well in person.

Although no competition exists, I know what you are saying. A lot of people equate Spanish accent with Mexican and, while giving them hell has its own rewards, I doubt that it made a difference in the long run. When it comes to that kind of ignorance, I have found that the best policy is to consider the source and let it slide.

Jeannie said:
nr said:
Jeannie said:

Jeanie, using your own quote from the "Fat Butt discussion and the "I Gotta Ask" discussion where you talked about hurtful comments and feelings : " My ex did it on a regular basis, all of my friends ex's did it also. There are a lot of men out there who can't get past themselves long enough to even consider how their wives feel, much less show some consideration for her feelings or stop to think how a comment might make her feel."

I'm only saying, extend that same thought (negative comments about anatomy from a spouse) to those dealing with racial slurs from earliest childhood on through life. They've received it not just from within the family but from the community at large. Day in, day out. Judging from your exposure to it, you didn't like it either. So why perpetuate it? That is all I'm asking.

If I came across as holier-than-thou that was not the intent. :oops: Just a reminder that we really need to be sensitive to where others may be coming from as much as is humanly possible in order to not pass on more pain.

First let me talk about Big Women

There was a time when I managed two Topless/Bottomless Clubs - - an attrective Big woman came in asking for a job. I felt it was only fair to let her "Interview" 8) in the same way all the ladies Interviewed

:shock: This lady could dance :shock: - - :?: What to Do :?: :?: :?: - - :roll: Monday nights are Slow :roll: I'll use her on a monday and let the crowd … :wink: (My copout)

The second Monday night she worked we were Packed - - I added 2 more big ladies - - Mondays became our big night :?

I added big women to every shift 7 days per week and learned my lesson - -
"Big Ladies, there's men out there that Love You :!:

I'm the father of girls from sizs 20+ to a 22 year old size 1

The Picture - - I see both sides of it - - if I had posted it none of the people that know me would have thought anything about it and gotten the funny side.

That said - I think that making such a post here was in pour taste - - the poster should have known that there were to many unknown personalities here - - :???: or was that their plan :???:

I'll extend them the benifit of a dought :!:

When I get in V¬ white car I have friend That'al Look Around and say - "Where'd you go :?:

Racism is the way your look at it:

Jean was a very Sharp Red Headed girlfriend of mine – in the days we would sit around in the dark or semi-dark and lesson to music (I know – you don't have to say it) the subject up. I told her that she was a RACIST to her protest and the attention of our Black Friends.

If we walk into a room full of people and there is one lack in the room you work your way over to that person - -

You see Black – I see people :D :) :) :( :? :shock: :eek: :lol: :x :mad: :evil: :cry: :oops: :p :twisted: :roll: :wink:

nr said:
Jeannie said:
nr said:

Jeanie, using your own quote from the "Fat Butt discussion and the "I Gotta Ask" discussion where you talked about hurtful comments and feelings : " My ex did it on a regular basis, all of my friends ex's did it also. There are a lot of men out there who can't get past themselves long enough to even consider how their wives feel, much less show some consideration for her feelings or stop to think how a comment might make her feel."

I'm only saying, extend that same thought (negative comments about anatomy from a spouse) to those dealing with racial slurs from earliest childhood on through life. They've received it not just from within the family but from the community at large. Day in, day out. Judging from your exposure to it, you didn't like it either. So why perpetuate it? That is all I'm asking.

If I came across as holier-than-thou that was not the intent. :oops: Just a reminder that we really need to be sensitive to where others may be coming from as much as is humanly possible in order to not pass on more pain.

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, I would have to think that if it had been a white man and woman in this picture with the sun behind the man so his face was not discernible, you're philosophy would be the same? You are comparing apples to oranges. There is a helluva lot of difference between having a check-out girl become rude, obnoxious and ugly the moment your black husband walks up beside you, or losing a job because your married to a 'socially unacceptable partner' as opposed to being the subject of a picture gone wrong. I would be willing to bet that if the picture in question was shown to the man in it, he would be able to see the humor in it. After all, if one cannot laugh at their own follies, then one will create one's own hell and really does not have to worry about others being 'sensitive to where others may be coming from as much as is humanly possible in order to not pass on more pain'. Before you set out to save something, you might want to check and see if they need saving. Racism is ugly, but just because something is regarding/about/dealing with a black person does not mean it qualifies as racism.

Jeannie said:
nr said:
Jeannie said:

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, I would have to think that if it had been a white man and woman in this picture with the sun behind the man so his face was not discernible, you're philosophy would be the same? You are comparing apples to oranges. There is a helluva lot of difference between having a check-out girl become rude, obnoxious and ugly the moment your black husband walks up beside you, or losing a job because your married to a 'socially unacceptable partner' as opposed to being the subject of a picture gone wrong. I would be willing to bet that if the picture in question was shown to the man in it, he would be able to see the humor in it. After all, if one cannot laugh at their own follies, then one will create one's own hell and really does not have to worry about others being 'sensitive to where others may be coming from as much as is humanly possible in order to not pass on more pain'. Before you set out to save something, you might want to check and see if they need saving. Racism is ugly, but just because something is regarding/about/dealing with a black person does not mean it qualifies as racism.

Well, at least we agree on one point: racism is ugly.
We raised an inter-racial family so we know a good deal about the topic and how some comments have cut youngsters to the core.
I'll leave it at that.

Latest posts