• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Been a year.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
Been a year since my uncle passed away. I had wanted to purchase the property but it was'nt worth near what he had wanted. Well the banker wants his dues and my cousin decided to sell and I'm one happy fella tonight. She chose to keep some acerage but did sign a lease on that property also. I ended up with 320 acres at $800 an acre quite a buy for this market here.The whole place is 520 acres and will run around 80 pairs year round I'm long on land and short on cows now.

Good for you - - - around here most of the land is being auctioned off and the so-so ground is bringing $5,000.00 per acre and the last two places brought right at $10,000.00 per acre

I saw this right before Jimmy Carter got elected and about 80% of the farmers around here had to file bankrupcy - - - I sure hope this does not happen again. My son and I are only buying places we can pay for - - - growing slow but hopefully still making progress. We have not bought any ground for about 3 years now - - - putting money back and making accelerated payments on inputs - - -

good for you! and as an added benefit, we can discuss on here what cows to add to grow your operation....been a while since we have had a hereford / Angus fight.....

jigs said:
good for you! and as an added benefit, we can discuss on here what cows to add to grow your operation....been a while since we have had a hereford / Angus fight.....

I ordered 100 bags of Pioneer Seed corn were going to try and pay for it with gold nuggets.Graze stalks, hay the meadows and graze everything thats pasture at some point. I really did'nt need the grass so filling it maybe on a custom deal the next couple years. I'd like a 100 black baldies bred charlaios can you spot them to me.

I'm really happy for you, Denny.
On another note, I think it was Cole Creek Angus catalog that
had some bulls that went back to Viking GD60. I'll have to
go recheck that, tho, because as I was typing that it didn't
seem quite right--but that's the catalog I was looking at. :?

Do you have some sons in this year's sale? And when and where
is it going to be held again?

No sons this year some off the cow side in the blood lines I will have some grandsons next year as I used 3 GD60 sons here last year. Sale is Noon Central time May 10th Mobridge Livestock Mobridge SD 28 bulls minus 2 for me.

I have 13 straws of GD60 left in my tank but I'll be saveing that for 20 years from now when the Angus world needs a reality check.

Faster horses said:
I'm really happy for you, Denny.
On another note, I think it was Cole Creek Angus catalog that
had some bulls that went back to Viking GD60. I'll have to
go recheck that, tho, because as I was typing that it didn't
seem quite right--but that's the catalog I was looking at. :?

Cole Creek has GD60 lineage in a lot of their cattle- as they have a lot of cattle that trace to Shoshone Encore 6310 and his son HBR Encore 0544 (who is double bred Viking).....
I just got their catalog yesterday and have quickly glanced thru it... Looks like they have a good offering and are selling more heifers (29) than usual this year...

I think Jack McNamee has quite a few cattle that trace to the old Viking bull too....
The young herdbull I'm using now Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X traces back to Viking about a half dozen times- and back to Rito 707 over 20 times...

Latest posts