• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best Reason's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Got thinking of reasons people buy bulls and alot of times it has nothing to do with production-here are some of the better ones I've heard.

1. I shouldn't of had that tenth whiskey Dad needs a bull and I was going to fall asleep.

2.The owners daughter is hot if I buy bulls there I can go visit. The young guys Dad told me this story-the bulls were real hard calving-he was not amused.

3.If I buy the high seller I get a trophy.

4.If I buy his he'll buy mine-grrrrr!!!

5. The auctioneer said he was good.

6. Did you see the breed ad in Cattleman magazine!!!

7. He goes back to 'Old Fuzzy Nuts of Ding Dong'

8. I had cows in heat this morning.

9. I wasn't going to let that SOB buy that bull

10.He looks pretty.

I've lost all desire to buy bulls. I have more interest in raiseing my own.I'm not going to AI any this spring we have a great selection of home raised bulls I'd rather try. Our best calves this spring are out of a home raised bull they are out growing the older AI calves go figure.

14.Kill prices are high so I can trade for even money.

I don't like raising them. Maybe someday, but probably not.

#17 Because the breeder is a reputable and honest rancher who's bull will improve my cattle. That should be number 1 and then the list ends!

katrina said:
16. So when I sell my calves the salebarn can tell everyone how much I spent on bulls..

That kind of makes me laugh- as yesterday I got a call from a former neighbor that moved to Idaho...He asked me when I started using an alias :???: When I couldn't figure out what he was talking about- he told me my picture was in this weeks Western Ag Reporter buying bulls at Bowles J5 Sale- but they had my name listed as Larry See (and me and Larry are miles apart in looks or size, with me having a foot of height and 200 lbs on him)....

Finally figured out that a couple weeks ago Larry (who is a neighbor that I winter his cows and help calve for- and used to partner with on haying) had called and wanted me to buy another red bull for him- and they must have took a picture of me when I bought his bull... :wink: :lol: :lol:

That's a perfect deal you get to spend his money and get your picture in the paper. I heard one day I'd bought some Limo bulls 200 miles from home-that ringman needed a better imagination.

At the only bull sale I went to this spring, a brand new handmade $400 hat was given to the buyer of the most expensive bull and another hat was given to the buyer who purchased the most bulls. The volume buyer bought eight bulls and got a new hat. The gentleman I sat across the table from at supper was lamenting the fact that he had bid in and bought nine bulls, but used two buyer numbers. He said he wouldn't do that again. :roll:

#20. The money goes to a good cause.

Northern Rancher said:
That would be a sticky wicket.

According to my Google connections, sticky wicket means a difficult situation. Yes, it would be a sticky wicket under the circumstances. Thanks for leading me to new-found knowledge. :wink: :)

Denny said:
I've lost all desire to buy bulls. I have more interest in raiseing my own.I'm not going to AI any this spring we have a great selection of home raised bulls I'd rather try. Our best calves this spring are out of a home raised bull they are out growing the older AI calves go figure.

14.Kill prices are high so I can trade for even money.

My calves out of home raised bulls are the same way Denny; noticeably better than than the AI calves! Why is that? Are we not using the right AI sires? Or is it AI'ing for what seems like forever, our sires are better than the studs! :p 8)

Latest posts