• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

bi-directional?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

strawking

Reaction score
My old new holland 1118 header finally gave up on me, don't think I can weld it back together this time. So im looking for a newer swather cuz it doesn't seem like there are any headers for that machine that aren't worn out. Was considering a bi-directional and was wondering if any one out there has one that they have a header on and how well it works. I just figured an extra loader to use in the winter would be handy.

go get a disc bine header with the mow max cutter bar NH dealers have them with 3 year warranty & 0%fo 4 years . hard to beat that deal when you factor in depreciation ,repair costs,&improved technology.

we ran a swather head on the TV140 for a couple years. usually just the first cutting to speed everything up. got tired of dropping the head to use the loader, but it really was not that big of a deal. be sure you get the BIG pump for the header...
I think the Bi was better than a swather. smoother, sat higher up, and more comfy...

jigs said:
we ran a swather head on the TV140 for a couple years. usually just the first cutting to speed everything up. got tired of dropping the head to use the loader, but it really was not that big of a deal. be sure you get the BIG pump for the header...
I think the Bi was better than a swather. smoother, sat higher up, and more comfy...

And compared to a self-propelled swather, it takes 40 acres to turn a bi-directional around...... :???:

I have never had a bi directional but the concept seems to make sense to me.

I know the loaders I have sure beat any tactor mounted loader I know of but I don't know if a bi directional would function as well.

With the loaders you have no clutch and with a tourque converter they change directions at the flick of your wrist but they substantially slow down on hills - - - for field work I would like the clutch better but could not live with it for loader work.

If the bi directional had a torque converter with a positive lock up you could engage for field work I think that would be the best of both worlds.

loomixguy said:
jigs said:

And compared to a self-propelled swather, it takes 40 acres to turn a bi-directional around...... :???:

I will take comfort over productivity any day !

A lot of guys around here that run a bi-di use a pull type swather along with it. Can cut slot of acres that way, and they make a dang good loader also.

There were a few of those at a large dairy I used to soil sample for when I was working in Western NY. Head on one end, toed discbine on the other end. Made for a pretty big swath. Deere seems to be promoting the idea of front PTO/Link arms with their new 7000R series. Not made to run backwards like the NH though.

I have one of the first bi di made a 160. Its loaded thousands of bales and now I can't stand to run my frontend loader. We tried to farm with it a little but its not any good for that. And it would be awesome to pull one behind to but I have a hard enough time watching one header. :lol: I would like to try one out before I bought one for sure. I have spent a few winters feeding with a tv140 and my only problem was it was kinda big to move around after being used to my little 160.

I use a tv 6070 with a 18 ft head and it works pretty good, a little noisy in the cab and under powerd. they have had some issues with over heating in heavy crops.. I really doubt that I could handle pulling another one,, I would not recomend farming with one, and as far as a loader tractor they are unbeatable.. I will never be without a bi as long as im ranching..

At the feedlot I used to work at they ran a tv6070. Awesome tractor for picking rocks with, and way easier to maneuver then our mxm130. I'd also rather run the 6070 on the baler too, other then the fact that the air conditioning was non existant. Easy to move, and you can pick the EXACT speed you want to run the baler at. BUT I ran it on flat land with the baler so I couldn't tell you what it ran like with a load behind it going up a hill. As for cutting hay with it, it was hooked up to an 18' New Holland Haybine for 3 hours while the 8670 got fixed. It didnt get hooked back onto it for a reason.

I was considering a bidirectional purchase last summer too for mowing and an extra loader. When I started pricing good used machines I was shocked at how fast they depreciated in price with just a few years age on them. That seemed to mean that there were maintainance issues with them as they got some hours on them. I decided to keep the JD 4255 I bought 10 years ago since it is probably still worth what I paid for it. I decided to just trade off the NH 1475 pull type for a new one.

I use a tv140 with a mounted HS 16 and pull another 16' haybine. Works great and sure speeds the cutting operation. The only time power was an issue is if there are large hills but just had to slow down a bit, still cuttind 32' so i was OK with that

Latest posts