• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BJD (Bovine Johnes Disease)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds said:
Oh nortex I guess being a wife, mother, farmer, rancher, volunteer fire fighter, volunteer EMT-B, plus working a town job for 8 hours 5 days a week means your better then me.
I seriously doubt it.
As for raising cattle I doubt your better then anybody. Never want to eat one of your steaks.

Nighty nite!
I gotta go to my job tomorrow and be on call for our ambulance service for 6 hours too!

:roll:

We heard presentation after presentation about Johne's before BSE then it went quiet but it's coming to the fore front again. Back in the day they said the biggest danger of spread to beef cattle was colostrum from infected dairies.

Not a pretty thing and long term un-thriftyness is one of the biggest cost besides of course culling.

I had it in my first little herd of 33 head of cattle. I'm trying to figure out how to word how bad it sucked.....very, very very, hard on me. I learned a lot on it in a short time. I ended it the best way I thought how at the time, to know I won't have it again....from that herd anyway. The guy I got it from kept selling privately after I told him why his cattle were dying....he didn't know and I didn't know he had cattle dying until I asked him if he did and he said yeah. I think about it everytime I go to do something and do accordinly, but man, since the carriers can look so good until they start shedding it, it's a tough one, IMO. I pray I never get it again!

Thanks Big Muddy and RA that is what I am wanting to know.

Been reading every article I can find and each one pretty much says the same thing but is totally different on other things and are confusing.
One will say there is 2 tests for it another will say there are 3 or 4 tests. One will say there is a vaccine another will say no vaccine.

So I figure it was best to ask those who have had dealings with it and know more about it.

RA did you have tests done?

Heard the vaccine is not affective on preventing it.

I had one of the ones that clearly had it, tested. Fecal sample. It came back positive.

My vet knew a lot about it. ...and I talked to the state vet also and googled it and started in reading everything it brought up.

It popped up with me on coming 2 yr old heifers about to have their first calf....like a week or two away from calving probably. I bought them as weanlings from the same place. They were reg. longhorns. The stress of that set it off.

They started out just getting skinny and the runs set in. I thought they were wormy. So I wormed them. They were on grass. I put them in a lot and started giving them grass hay. That seemed to help some, but they slowly just wasted away.

We put one to sleep and cut the calf out c-section. I saved the calf, it wouldn't suck...I got it sucking and all that after some time. The state vet said there was a chance the calf could have it. I put it down when I put the rest of my stuff I shouldn't sell down.

I only had 20 acres at the time...had 33 cattle and horses on it. Way overcrowded. I'm guessing the older stuff might of been fine, becuase I just started building my first herd. ...but I was wanting to move to a bigger place and had been looking. With everything being exposed adn in such tight quarters, I decided to just send all the fleshy healthy looking stuff to slaughter, that probably didn't even have it, and I took care of the rest. Everything was halter broke, but the ABBI reg. bucking bull I just got. One was a pet reg. brahman bull I took everywhere with me that I took horses. Two were riding steers that were coming along nicely. The rest were reg. longhorn cows and bulls. Stuff was trying to get back on the trailer at the sale barn....Hightower, the pet brahma, did get back on the trailer and wouldn't get out. I had to push him out. I've never been close to family except my wife and two boys....my cattle have always been my family as crazy as that sounds.....I don't know if I could go through all that again. It was the only way I knew that no one would get it from me and I wouldn't be scared I kept something that had it and brought it to my new place. I waited a year with no cattle at that place, rented ground for a couple months just so I could have a bull again and I moved. I sold to horse people and to this day I drive by there once a year and no cattle have been on it. Actually the place is run down big time.

The vets told me not to do anything rash, I could test everything, but chances are, even the ones that have it will come back neg until they are about to die. They said the other thing I could do was get rid of everything, wait a year and start over. Before I knew what was going on, it was sad to see them waste away. They smell like walking death.

I'm probably overly concerned about it now. I don't haul other people's cattle. I wouldn't ever breed anything for anybody. I like to buy older stuff. I'll probably use a bull until he can't walk. Spread everything out, etc...

Everything I kept seeing and was told by my vet and the state vet is, prevention is the only thing that can be done.

There's a well known bucking bull that a well known bucking bull breeder/hauler had that supposively had it. Some how they kept him alive longer than I thought they would.....he still died at 5 or 6 I think.

....that's a little more of my dealings.

I'm not good at transferring that kind of stuff from my head to the computer... :D Sorry if it is unclear, confusing, or wasted your time!

RA it is a pleasure to know you. I'm glad you are on this forum.
You exhibit great ethics, something the people seem to be losing
more and more of. My hat is off to you for not passing something bad
along to the next guy! You are a great example.

:tiphat:

Thanks, Faster horses! Same to you! All the time you have taken to pass on what you know to me has helped me a bunch!

I try to be like ol' Chef on those new Chef Boyardee commercials.....RA don't judge.... :D :D ...but feel there is some responsibility that goes with this hush hush subject. I was told not to say anything. Lots of people have it, nobody says anything, lots of people have never heard of it.

I just did what I thought was right in my situation and keep things where I could sleep at night. I was getting geared up to raise bucking bulls.....keeping everything or selling seedstock and bucking bulls. It could of been a real mess and I can say I am not having to deal with it now.

Thanks RA.
Boy that just made me feel bad for you just reading what happened.
I agree with FH that you are an AWESOME example of how a cattleman/woman should be. :tiphat:

You're welcome! ...and I thank you!

You two are too kind though! It was a no brainer to not possibly send johnes down the line. You just don't do that stuff, IMO....even the small stuff.

Wish more breeders were like you RA.

That is why I got my azz chewed earlier by nortex. I spoke the truth and no one wanted to hear it.

Give me the truth every time!

Latest posts