• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Blue heeler removing horse's tails and injuring goats- help?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

My son, who lives in town, has a blue heeler that is a very smart and well-trained dog. When my son and his wife go somewhere for a week-end, they leave our little "grand-dog" with us on the ranch. Ringo behaves pretty well, if there aren't cattle around nearby. The last time he was here, cattle were pastured quite close. He continually chased and worried the cattle, so I locked him in an empty horse trailer for the next couple days until his "parents" returned. It solved the problem, and he had food and water and the right to remain silent. :wink:

A well known rancher and dog handler that lives near here said a long time ago, when he leaves the yard he knows where his dogs are. Either tied or keneled. I`ve assumed the same routine. These dogs can be a real asset if you let them, but they can be a real problem if you let them also. There`s been more then one that got "lead in the head" . You can give them away sell them but you`re not getting rid of the problem. Starting young pups right is no different then starting a colt. Also you can`t use another dog to train the younger pup.

I would compare a bad dog to getting up every morning and putting on socks with sandburrs in them. It ain't fun. :wink: There are two ways to eliminate the problem, in my book. A. Get rid of the dog. B. Don't get the dog to start with. I have used Plan A with success. In recent years, Plan B has worked very well, and there is no guilty conscience associated with it.

Working cattle is easier around this outfit, if the bovines are not continually distracted with a nippin' yippin' dingleberry dog. :? :wink: :)

You all probably think I'm a dog-hater, but I'm not. I just don't like "cow dogs" and house dogs (dog hair on the couch makes me a grouch :wink: ). We have a good old half Rotweiller-half German Shepard. She is sweet and friendly and eats out of the same dish as the cats. She stays close to home, and only gets in trouble once in a while when her city cousin comes to visit. Scarlett is everybody's friend, including mine. :)

I know what you mean Soapweed and I was at that point once too. I finally learned how to make them work with me. Heck I know dogs aren`t for everyone. Who knows someday I may even own an atv. As for right now HECK NO.

I know people down here that if it wasn't for dogs they wouldn't get their pastures gathered. To much brush to maneauvor or gather in, but them dogs can get the job done. You have to have some well trained dedicated dogs tho.....you can't just throw any poodle out there and expect it to do what you want it to.

kelpies
borders
Blue Heelers
some use curs/lepords

those are the main breeds used

In all these years, we never have had a dog problem. My husband loves them and works extensively with them. He uses them to work cattle and for companionship.

For whatever reason, now we have a dog problem. I think it might be because, even though they are both spayed and neutered, one is a male and one is a female. As I mentioned before, we have not had a male dog in 37 years. The problem is, my husband says the male dog is not the culprit. So I guess Dixie has to go.

What I found was a vet clinic in Miles City that will take her. WE pay $55 and they keep her until they place her for adoption. Unless she is a problem and then they will do something different. I hate to take this way out, but I think it is best under the circumstances. She is a very attractive dog and minds well. It is just that she gets in trouble and it is hard to stay a step ahead of her. We have never confined our dogs or tied them up, so I need to train the hubby if that is what the answer is; and he doesn't want to have to tie them. We have no kennel, so that means we shut them up when we leave. He was gone for just a bit yesterday and she killed a kitten. That is 2 that we know of. We just can't have that.

I am going to tell the vet clinic the problems she has. I would hope that someone with kids would take her and play with her A LOT. She will work cattle, too, but the family deal would be the best for MY PEACE OF MIND.

I have a somewhat similar philosophy about "cow dogs". I won't have them because they just tend to be too hard-headed for my taste. And I've met too many that were unpredictable.

Give me a border collie. They're just dying to please you and you can trust them around your kids...

They're not as good of a cow dog as a heeler to be sure, but for my family's purposes they work better.

Faster horses said:
In all these years, we never have had a dog problem. My husband loves them and works extensively with them. He uses them to work cattle and for companionship.

For whatever reason, now we have a dog problem. I think it might be because, even though they are both spayed and neutered, one is a male and one is a female. As I mentioned before, we have not had a male dog in 37 years. The problem is, my husband says the male dog is not the culprit. So I guess Dixie has to go.

What I found was a vet clinic in Miles City that will take her. WE pay $55 and they keep her until they place her for adoption. Unless she is a problem and then they will do something different. I hate to take this way out, but I think it is best under the circumstances. She is a very attractive dog and minds well. It is just that she gets in trouble and it is hard to stay a step ahead of her. We have never confined our dogs or tied them up, so I need to train the hubby if that is what the answer is; and he doesn't want to have to tie them. We have no kennel, so that means we shut them up when we leave. He was gone for just a bit yesterday and she killed a kitten. That is 2 that we know of. We just can't have that.

I am going to tell the vet clinic the problems she has. I would hope that someone with kids would take her and play with her A LOT. She will work cattle, too, but the family deal would be the best for MY PEACE OF MIND.

FH:

I'm sorry to hear that you'll have to get rid of Dixie...I know how much you loved her...that's kinda how we met...braggin' about our new pups. We'd be devastated if we had to get rid of Holly, and are thankful that she's mindful and doesn't bother the cattle or horses.

Keep your chin up and hang in there--

Cheers (sadly)

TTB

FH - sorry to hear about Dixie, it's always hard to get rid of a dog. I'm sure they'll find her a good home.

Faster....how old is she? Border collie? Husband use commands on her?How far from Alberta border are you?

We aren't real far from the Canadian Border. And she is NOT border collie. This is the second dog we have gotten from these people and the first one was the best dog we ever had. You can see her as a pup on my avatar and I put a picture of her in the "Dogs" catagory of the photo contest. She is the last picture, the red pup; she is a year old now.

She obeys commands, "Go Back", "Sit", etc and she comes from a long line of working dogs. She will work already, but she needs some guidance. She needs to be on a leash when working cattle up the chute. She does okay, then she gets excited and will heel the cattle that come out of the chute. We dont' like her doing that, but we are usually short of help, so this doesn't get addressed like it should. If she were on a leash, she couldn't do that. It isn't her fault, she just needs worked with. My husband usually works with them right there in that particular spot, but he has been bringing the cattle up to the A-pen and the dog is along the alley. And he has never had to put a leash on a dog. So therein lies the problem.

She is starting to bark when people drive up, and I like that. The other dog won't say a word.

Did you ask because you might be interested in her?

I'm sure Greg asked because we are looking for a stock dog and are having a terrible trying to get a started dog...he doesn't want to start from scratch and train one...the only problam being hes VERY stuck on it being a border collie,last stock dog we had was border and hes the best hand we ever had!Our summer pastures thick river land and dog needs to get into trees and bring cows out.Thank-you for the info and if Greg is interested he'll let you know.

THX,guess didn't pay attention.Wifes right want started Border collie.Can get lots of pups don't want the work and need the dog started for the summer like you don't have hands avaiable and really need dog for down at pasture,Thx anyway

Greg did you try Norm Close at Delia/Hanna? He has very good dogs, and if he has none available at this time he might know of someone who does.

DJL,we did call Norm he had no started dogs,that was a few months ago,We will try him again,he did seem interested in helping us.Thank-you for the reminder.

I know of several pups available, but of course you want a started dog. My male came from him, and he trained my female, and they are both very good dogs. My male is aggressive enough to get the job done, but not one to bite first and try to fix the wreck later. If all dogs were like him, Soapweed would even like cow dogs.... I couldn't do my pasture job here in the hills without good dogs.

try some rat shoot in your 22. It'll sting and maybe bring blood but gets thier attention.

Latest posts