• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bonsai...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
Picked this up about a week ago.
263668_10150211836919624_661889623_7292525_6977428_n.jpg

It seems to go anywhere (we have been testing it), holds two adults or 1 adult and three kids, has heat, 4WD, axle lock, 6' box, radio and is plated for the public roads. It gets about 40MPG hiway and 60MPG cow checking. It won't break any land speed records on the road, but it might off-roading.
I am pretty happy so far.
You can get blades, lift kits, spotlights, etc. and it was much cheaper than a side by side or even a cheap quad. Plus you can roll up the windows and keep the mosquitos out. It had 40,000 km on it when I got it (25000 miles).
With fuel and depreciation savings on our big trucks, we figured out it would be paid for in under a year with fuel much cheaper than it is right now. 3/4 of a tank the other day took not quite 4 gallons of gas.
It won't chase cows like a horse, but it hauls minerals and fencing supplies a bit more handily.

after watching the gas/diesel debate unfold on the other thread. i was just about to search backwards for your posts on the little trucks. go figure eh

keep us posted with any further developments with the truck :D :D

how do you like driving on the right or should i say the wrong side :???: :?

A friend of mine bought one of those with air conditioning and auto matic transmission and a 3 cylinder diesel.

Top speed of 45 MPH and can't get it plated in Indiana but loves it - - - claims about 50 MPG and with the 4X4 it seems to go anywhere he wants to go.

He reciently bought a dump kit for the bed to make it even handier.

I understand if you buy one from Kentucky where it has been issued a Kentucky title you can then get an Indiana title and plate. Go figure!

I can see where it would be much handier than an ATV and if you can get parts could be much cheaper.

I've been interested in those little devils for a few years now, they're pretty incredible little machines, especially with a little lift and ATV tires. I did have opportunity to ride in one a few times though and that's where I found out I was claustrophobic. Who knew :shock: I like the climate control idea, and quieter than a side by side by far. I don't like the unhandiness of getting in and out of them in situations where you need to do it frequently.
I still hope to end up with one one day.

NR - Stony Plain at Western Mini Trucks.
Burnt - That mud and cowpie camo. It blends right in now...

Oh so it's the same job as I have on the 4 wheeler. :wink:

There are a couple of those around here and the guys that have them seem pretty happy with them. Not as good as they had hoped on fuel but better than the pickup and pretty handy to just hop in and go.

Cattleman said:
We were looking at one last fall.

Any idea how they would do in the snow?
few here with snow plows, plow about the same as a 4 wheeler
alot are parked in the winter here the runts in snow are not wide enough kind of throw them around

We use a 95 Nissan Pathfinder and the neighbor a Jeep Cherokee. They don't have open bed but are nice keeping bags of mineral out of the weather. I can angle half a dozen posts my bar and slip hammer in the back along with lots of other stuff. I put some bigger tires on last fall. Gets lots of places .

jodywy said:
Cattleman said:

alot are parked in the winter here the runts in snow are not wide enough kind of throw them around

I realize they're a pretty small truck---but if runts in the snow are giving you trouble, maybe put in a few sacks of gravel? Or make some snow balls and fight back? Or start chores later, when them little devils have gone to school? :D

littlejoe said:
jodywy said:
Cattleman said:

I realize they're a pretty small truck---but if runts in the snow are giving you trouble, maybe put in a few sacks of gravel? Or make some snow balls and fight back? Or start chores later, when them little devils have gone to school? :D

In seriousness, I look at these off and on--I like having the comforts of a truck. I like the way the sideboards fold down. Some have low range. There's evidently a 'short' and 'long' wheelbase--can't hardly tell if you don't compare, but some front axles are set farther ahead---learned this from a big 'ol boy who was cussing about the front fender well, when he was getting in and out a lot with his irrigation boots on. I think they run way cheaper than a 4 wheeler, bigger wheels and tires oughta give a tad more clearance.

littlejoe said:
littlejoe said:
jodywy said:

In seriousness, I look at these off and on--I like having the comforts of a truck. I like the way the sideboards fold down. Some have low range. There's evidently a 'short' and 'long' wheelbase--can't hardly tell if you don't compare, but some front axles are set farther ahead---learned this from a big 'ol boy who was cussing about the front fender well, when he was getting in and out a lot with his irrigation boots on. I think they run way cheaper than a 4 wheeler, bigger wheels and tires oughta give a tad more clearance.

I am not worried about road travel, but more in breaking in fresh snow driving through the pasture/fields in the winter. I think you would need different tires to better handle snow, and give more clearance. Just curious how it handles in snow vs a quad.

Wouldn't be hard to add weight either though.

The fellow we got this from said he puts 13" snow tires on year round. It will go more places than his quad in the snow.
I know I tested it the other day in mud with crappy tires and it will definitely outgo anywhere the F250 will make it.
Some guys put tracks on them, or lift kits and quad tires.
The weight seems really well balanced as the motor is low and in the centre of the frame.

That's all anyone drives in Australia when I was there. All sorts of models and styles, but I only saw 2 full size trucks in a 10 day trip, and they were both parked on lots for sale. Anyone who works or farms had these smaller trucks, and love 'em.

RSL said:
The fellow we got this from said he puts 13" snow tires on year round. It will go more places than his quad in the snow.
I know I tested it the other day in mud with crappy tires and it will definitely outgo anywhere the F250 will make it.
Some guys put tracks on them, or lift kits and quad tires.
The weight seems really well balanced as the motor is low and in the centre of the frame.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes Purecountry, the Aussie's all had a UTE's, but the ones I drove were all bigger than this type of vehicle. I saw the odd ford, and one GMC in ten months.....this was about 10 years ago.

Funny thing was they just drooled over the NA pick-ups.

Latest posts