• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

border collie puppies

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hopalong said:
the other one I donated to the VFW to be trained as a service dog for PSTD patients,,, second one I have donated like that.

That's really nice to hear. Good on you.

I have used my dog in cattle that have never seen a dog, and where there have been a lot of coyotes. It was tough for about a week, until the cattle got used to her. She/we would get swarmed when I would ride through them, but as long as Tators stayed with me and the horse, the cattle eventually got used to her.
A good down is extremely important, in my books. No I AM NOT a dog trainer, but my dog save many miles on me, my horses, and the 4 wheeler.
She is a female, and if I tease her wrong before we leave the house, she MAY just decide to take the day off. I kinda think she may be union, or something. She will work 5 days, then takes a day off.

Cattle can definitely be 'dog broke.' It just takes awhile, as you mentioned and it takes a dog with a lot of confidence and perserverance, or the cows win. We just never had to take our dogs where cattle weren't used to dogs. Having them in those kind of cattle for one day would be really hard on the dog.

I reduce the "picture size" to 80% before trying to down load them. Hope it helps.
Leave me an personal message if I can help further.
Mustang

We recently subjected our lives to the presence of a little black terror/angel. Her mother and I have a bond as did granddad. Around 3/8th's Border. I haven't had a pup for better than 40 years. May be delusional, but so far so good. Stay tuned.

Still so far, so good. No ruined shoes but it takes a while to find them. Just started growling out the window at feeding time. Darn sure watches the cows and we have come and sit figured out. DOWN is a priority now. She will be the last pup around here, but may be worth it.

We got a pup about a month ago. The old dog is 12 now and has a bum wheel from a mauling she took a couple years ago. She still wants to work but certainly can't go to the hills to gather. This pup is a monster. I feel sorry for the barn cat and the old dog. She is a smart one but still has the puppy attention span. She is quick to learn things but stay is certainly not in her yet.

Patience is key Webfoot. My varmint is 3 times the dog she was 60 days ago. Loves to irrigate and ride the 4 wheeler. Obedience is about 80 percent locked in. She'll be ready to think about cows when haying is done. Our cats are recovering.

Posting a picture is more complicated than a cow dog pup. That is fact. The varmint will be a finished dog by the time I break a smart phone to lead. 10 years ago I had a bag phone. Not a weather station, not a camera, not a computer. A phone. That worked every place it went, and that old Pete got off the beaten path pretty regular.

Latest posts