• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branding cattle with just 3 letters and 3 numbers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

myersfarm said:
your header BRANDING CATTLE WITH JUST 3 LETTERS AND 3 NUMBERS....and knowing ranchers how many ranchers HAVE 35 branding irons hot to brand cows at one time instead of the 6 as in

BRANDING CATTLE USING ONLY 3 LETTERS AND 3 NUMBERS

YOU GOT ME ON THAT ONE

How many Ranchers you know that have 17,576,000 cattle, why would any rancher need 35 branding irons.
How many cattle can you brand with just 6 irons 3 letters and 3 numbers ? I think I only made a half dozen posts explaining the task ?
I guess a better question would be how many Ranchers you know that is going to brand 17,576,000 of their stock the day you think they need to keep 35 brands hot ? :D
Adios boy, been fun :wink:

myersfarm, I went back and reread your questions/answers and I dont think you understood that "ANY" three meant any three letters out of the Alphabet or "ANY" three numbers out of the American numbering system.
It did not mean pick three and use only them, my mistake for not explaining this better, thanks for the tenacity, You were right my post heading was misleading................good luck

google searched this and check out my very first guess
which you said was not right.....why I then thought you meant pick 3 numbers and 3 letters

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090424182620AASg7lh

you first said ANY COMBINTION

then you said this These are combinations which are content driven.
the brand A1B2C2 is the same as ACB212 because each one is made up of one A one B one 1 and two 2's

which I do not understand at all why take these BRANDS OUT if a cow had those brands on them Anybody could tell apart....

yes your right I do not give up easy when it comes to math

The math experts would look at this problem and simply say take it to the "3rd Power".
An uneducated hick like me would simply do some cowboy arithmetic and it would go something like this .

26x26x26x10x10x10=17,576,000 same thing.
good luck

26x26x26x10x10x10=17,576,000 same thing

THAT IS THE MOST BRANDS YOU CAN HAVE WITH LETTERS STARTING FIRST

BUT YOU SAID ANY COMBINTION..so you formula does not account for numbers first ..

not same thing 26 is letters and 10 is numbers

yes you get the same answer if you do 10X 10 X10 X 26 X 26 X 26 = 17,576,000

so you have to figure the varibles

but with the 10 x formula you would have numbers starting first instead of your letters....

SO that is more brands RIGHT THINK WHAT I AM SAYING

and 26 x 10 x 26 x10 gives same answer as

10 x 26 x 10 x 26....

but the variebles of both make more brands

as in short starting with numbers and starting with letters gives same number of choices but different brands

GOOD LUCK

you please give it more thought..... ABC 123....123ABC ARE TWO DIFFERENT BRANDS. and it takes two of your formulas to cover both

but both will not work on the same formula
because you have the variables of only starting with one or the other in your formula...and you need to account for both since any combintions
.so look at my link and think again

this is right if it has to be three consecutive letters and three numbers such as aaa 111, but if it can be a1a 23b, it will be much greater. Not sure I can figure it out, but I'll think on it a while.

Sorry, this is redundant, I missed a whole page of posts.

Think I'll give up. If you said without repeating a number or letter, I think the answer would be

as there are 26 x 25x 24 x 10 x 9 x 8 = 11,232,000

unique combinations of 3 letters and 3 numbers without repeats.

Each of these unique combinations could be arranged 6! = 720 ways resulting in

8,087,040,000 different unique brands without repeats. I can't remember how to solve this with repeats. Pretty high level statistics.

I think I have explained the task in minute detail, and the correct answer is 17,576,000.
good luck

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
I think I have explained the task in minute detail, and the correct answer is 17,576,000.
good luck

Did you mean Black cows? :D

Not all of em hafta be black a couple red ones might be ok. :D
good luck

Silver said:
I'm guessing tens of thousands, depending on your area. Considering there are 6 different locations on the animal it can be put, and each character can be oriented several ways, arranged side by side and one above the other or a combination of the two..... kinda makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Let me back up here, as the previous answer I give Silver was wrong.
If you used multiple locations, and had no set way of determining which letter or number was read first or last, I dont know what the answer would be, really not an issue because it would have no logic.
So the six spaced brand I refer to would be in one location, read left to right with 3 single digit numbers and any 3 letters, or 2 three space brands one directly above the other,read left to right,top to bottom.
And the answer would be 17,576,000, ....................Good luck

PS Im not saying some locations that use multiple brand locations are not logical, just clarifing the question at hand.

I sure can 0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, take your pick :D ..................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
I sure can 0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, take your pick :D ..................good luck

Hay Maker, here's something I just thought of. Whether used in the same brand or not, how are ya gonna distinguish between a 0 and an O? :???: :???: :???:

Latest posts