• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BRAVO ! Agman's corn analysis is the nuts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MRJ said:
Econ, both you and Sandhusker imply frequently that packers make use of illegal trade practices, that USDA and NCBA take orders from packers and then take actions benefitting packers and hurting cattle producers.
That is not "personal attack". It is fact!

You and Sandhuskers' sly "guilty by implication" tactics do nothing to help cattle producers! How do you benefit from having the cattle producers divided and pitted against the rest of the beef industry?

MRJ

MRJ, I don't think you have the unbiased judgment necessary to come up with your conclusions. Go read my post replying to you in "Hey Boys".

You and SH make me wonder how the west was ever won.

In your quest to take up for packers you pull out of your hat that I am saying cattle producers are pitted against the rest of the beef industry? If there was more competition in the market and no market power abuses, I wouldn't be saying anything. The individual producer could go do business with the company that isn't cheating them and the rotten tactics of the packers in their competition game would not work. Unfortunately that is not the case and you don't have the intelligence to see it.

I support my local butcher who process my cattle. I think he should have as much of a chance to compete with the big boys as anyone. From all the illegal things that the packers are doing, it is hard for him to compete for the local markets.

I am not against the "beef industry", I am against the illegal, unfair, and unjust actions the big players seem to get away with all the time and never pay the price for them. You seem to excuse their actions as often as you can and hence I say you are against the producer.

I like to eat good meat as much or more than anyone. Trying to weed out the bad in the industry is not anti beef. It is actually pro beef. I am sorry that you have made the commitment to overlook that fact.

Econ, I'd bet everyone here supports their local butcher, its not an either or deal. But if me as a cattle producer hed to absorb even half the extra expense of the lower efficient processing (on all my production), well Aussie/Canadian beef and pork and poultry would and should replace me as unfit. Yes the boutique beef of the local butcher is superrior to comodity beef - especially southern comodity beef, but as local butchers are struggling, there simply isnt alot of demand at those higher prices. Its a little hard to remove retailing from processing at the local butcher unless we go to custom processing that most locals do right along with retail beef. guess what, custom rates are about 10X the cost ibp is pushing beef.

As for claims of illegal activity, your claims are just unfair. Can we agree that you could hire an IRS agent to figure your taxes and the next agent would figure it differently? I'm convinced most illegal activity committed by packers is inadvertant or accidental. Profit maximization excludes illegal activity - especially on a margin player. Furthermore, given the same scrutiny, the small processor would easily commit more infractions on a per unit basis - and they're trying to follow the rules.

As for packer concentration, nobody is more aware of potential market manipulation than me, but I have an empty sack full of proof. bring the proof of market manipulation, and I'll lead the lynch mob. Here's a little stumble my packer concentration mantra suffers: beef has shifted to a higher price structure (Agman predicted it and history proves it) with processors getting less of the new revenue than producers. I can't show inadequate competition in this environment. I can be suspicious as hell when 1 packer buys half the beeves, the proof eludes me. If you have the goods - we all want to see the plan, but nothing is more insulting than a bunch of corporate hating group think hippies that are all dogma.

Brad S said:
Econ, I'd bet everyone here supports their local butcher, its not an either or deal. But if me as a cattle producer hed to absorb even half the extra expense of the lower efficient processing (on all my production), well Aussie/Canadian beef and pork and poultry would and should replace me as unfit. Yes the boutique beef of the local butcher is superrior to comodity beef - especially southern comodity beef, but as local butchers are struggling, there simply isnt alot of demand at those higher prices. Its a little hard to remove retailing from processing at the local butcher unless we go to custom processing that most locals do right along with retail beef. guess what, custom rates are about 10X the cost ibp is pushing beef.

As for claims of illegal activity, your claims are just unfair. Can we agree that you could hire an IRS agent to figure your taxes and the next agent would figure it differently? I'm convinced most illegal activity committed by packers is inadvertant or accidental. Profit maximization excludes illegal activity - especially on a margin player. Furthermore, given the same scrutiny, the small processor would easily commit more infractions on a per unit basis - and they're trying to follow the rules.

As for packer concentration, nobody is more aware of potential market manipulation than me, but I have an empty sack full of proof. bring the proof of market manipulation, and I'll lead the lynch mob. Here's a little stumble my packer concentration mantra suffers: beef has shifted to a higher price structure (Agman predicted it and history proves it) with processors getting less of the new revenue than producers. I can't show inadequate competition in this environment. I can be suspicious as hell when 1 packer buys half the beeves, the proof eludes me. If you have the goods - we all want to see the plan, but nothing is more insulting than a bunch of corporate hating group think hippies that are all dogma.

Brad S., they wrote a book for/about you:

"What's the Matter With Kansas?"

It should be a good read for you.

Great comments, Brad! Reason is so refreshing on this site!

Econ, you need to give your conspiracy theories a rest!

Grow up! Get a life! You have gall, I'll admit, when you accuse me of being biased, therefore not worthy to comment or have conclusions. How amazing you are, really.

Yes, you may be a bit correct. Rather than saying you claim cattle producers are pitted against the rest of the beef industry, more correctly I should have said you write things obviously designed to lead, or pit, cattle producers against packers (and possibly the rest of the beef industry).

I have no "quest to take up for packers", only to encourage people to look at all the possibilities and probablilities rather than taking your innuendoes, implications, and accusations against packers and others as 'gospel' without some serious, independent checking of facts.

I support my local butcher shops very much. However, they darn sure can't supply the world with beef, nor even process and sell the beef I or my neighbors produce in a year. They should have the right to sell beef across state lines, however what I've observet is that it is more the lower tier of Federally inspected plants who fight that, rather than the 'biggies'.

As for your claim that I "excuse their actions".......when did I 'excuse' anyone who was CONVICTED of a crime?

My "committments" have been totally to supporting and improving the cattle/beef industry by improving beef quality, doing the research to show consumers the high quality beef nutrient profile, and working to assure all cattle producers the freedom to choose how and to whom they market their cattle.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Great comments, Brad! Reason is so refreshing on this site!

Econ, you need to give your conspiracy theories a rest!

Grow up! Get a life! You have gall, I'll admit, when you accuse me of being biased, therefore not worthy to comment or have conclusions. How amazing you are, really.

Yes, you may be a bit correct. Rather than saying you claim cattle producers are pitted against the rest of the beef industry, more correctly I should have said you write things obviously designed to lead, or pit, cattle producers against packers (and possibly the rest of the beef industry).

I have no "quest to take up for packers", only to encourage people to look at all the possibilities and probablilities rather than taking your innuendoes, implications, and accusations against packers and others as 'gospel' without some serious, independent checking of facts.

I support my local butcher shops very much. However, they darn sure can't supply the world with beef, nor even process and sell the beef I or my neighbors produce in a year. They should have the right to sell beef across state lines, however what I've observet is that it is more the lower tier of Federally inspected plants who fight that, rather than the 'biggies'.

As for your claim that I "excuse their actions".......when did I 'excuse' anyone who was CONVICTED of a crime?

My "committments" have been totally to supporting and improving the cattle/beef industry by improving beef quality, doing the research to show consumers the high quality beef nutrient profile, and working to assure all cattle producers the freedom to choose how and to whom they market their cattle.

MRJ

Archie Schaffer was convicted of bribing the Sec. of Agriculture for Tyson.

Tyson does have over 70 felonies.

Why would you constantly give the benefit of the doubt to a multiple felon, and a company who obviously was given political preference in the market place?

On the greater questions of competition: Why do you not yet understand them?

Were not the big companies, Swift, and Tyson hiring illegal aliens to work in their plants and gain comparative advantage over many smaller companies who did not decide to break the law and hire "cheap" easily bullied labor? Do you need a "conviction" before you believe these things to be true? And yet you have a different standard for anyone who says anything different than your own bias. Where have I been convicted of a "conspiracy theory" that you have alleged?

MRJ, it is just plain simple to see that you think you have the world figured out and everything must fit in your biases, the facts be da----.

You willingly take the word of people who have been shown to not be truthful and forthcoming except when it is a producer who doesn't fit into your "everything is rosey" picture of the events.

I have called for the facts and evidence to be made available to the "little people"--producers--- and you have come up with a plausible (yes I will admit it is plausible) excuse for Swift. You sidestep the issue that the evidence was not presented to the producer, in this case Van Dyke, and instead championed you plausible excuse. You didn't even ask for the evidence to be presented. That is how biased you are against producers. Make up an excuse for packers that sounds good in your head, and don't even ask for back up evidence.

I have lamented the fact that Swift acted as judge, jury and executioner, against the producer and you have called for Swift and others to be "convicted" before you recognize this obvious fact.

You, in your actions and inactions, have shown yourself to favor your own view that everything is fine and you have ignored the evidence or even a call for the evidence. Talk about the devil's advocate!!!! When will you or your organization (NCBA) become the producer's advocate? I fear you are too old to change your ways or your mind to current facts.

I fear you are not intelligent enough to ask for the kind of evidence required to get the facts straight and that your idealistic view is more important than the realistic view based on facts. This, of course, is the critique of your organization, the NCBA.

Call names if you have to summarize your opinion without thought. It epitomizes your inability to rationally come to the truth.

There you go AGAIN, Econ, practicing your "do as I say, not as I do" tactics. Your mind reading skills just aren't up to par. Nor is your crystal ball gleaming with accurate information for you!

Where is the 'rule' for ranchers.net saying only Econ may RIGHTEOUSLY call people names reflective of their comment on this site?

Where is it documented that only Econ is "intellitent enough" to comment accurately or honestly, or never posts based on his own biases and agenda?

Who named you king of "realism", "rationallity", and champion of "the little people"?

Isn't it true that Tyson has paid fines or has other punishments for convitions such as you headline?

I don't give "benefit of doubt" unless there IS doubt. You post plenty of it and expect us to accept your word for everything you post. Given your history here, I can only say: Fat Chance!

Where you see "questions of competition" and stopping certain trade practices, I see suppression of cattle producers' to choose how to market. our cattle. "Nanny government" is so tiresome and limiting! Too bad you can't see the dangers in it.

Were not Swift and Tyson forced to operate under laws/rules restricting what they may ask potential employees about their origin?

From your self-proclaimed pinnacle of knowledge and information, how much more money would you say the consumer will put into the beef market in order for packers to pay workers what those workers want for an honest days work, done on a slowed down, safe chain speed, with as many inspectors as the unions deem necessary to produce a 'pristine' product? If the money consumers would pay isn't enough, how low will they have to drop cattle prices to make a 'reasonable profit' for doing business in the 'kinder, gentler' manner you seem to espouse?

I do tend to look on the positive side, and am an optimist by nature. However, I don't believe i have EVER said "everything is fine" for the entire beef industry. We do have enemies. Have you ever addressed or worked against the REAL enemies of the cattle/beef industry???

I damn sure know enough pessimists to realize they simply will not allow "everything to be fine" in life nor industry.

MRJ

MRJ said:
MRJ:There you go AGAIN, Econ, practicing your "do as I say, not as I do" tactics. Your mind reading skills just aren't up to par. Nor is your crystal ball gleaming with accurate information for you!

Where is the 'rule' for ranchers.net saying only Econ may RIGHTEOUSLY call people names reflective of their comment on this site?

Econ: I have addressed the reasons for my conclusions about you and I wish you would do the same instead of just dismissing my reasons based on your unsubstantiated opinion. I don't mind you having a different opinion--as long as it is substantiated based on real facts. Put up some good reasons for calling names as I have, and I will address them.

MRJ:Where is it documented that only Econ is "intellitent enough" to comment accurately or honestly, or never posts based on his own biases and agenda?

Econ: It isn't. You have called me on spelling errors and errors of form, not substance, and I will do the same to you now. "intelligent". I have biases, but they are based on experience and the facts that are shown. I often show a bias in questions when it comes to the USDA and their opinions. I want them to show facts and let the people be the judge of the facts, not the government. You seem to want the opposite. My questions are meant to help develop the facts that I deem relevant to the understanding of the truth. Yours seem to be relevant only to your idea of the truth. I ask for facts and data, you ask for opinions and come up with excuses for packers because they are part of "the beef industry".

MRJ: Who named you king of "realism", "rationallity", and champion of "the little people"?

Econ: I will let others decide after tough questions are asked, not a plethora of excuses you seem to put forward.

MRJ: Isn't it true that Tyson has paid fines or has other punishments for convitions such as you headline?

Econ: Yes, and no. In some cases they have paid fines but they rarely stop the actions, as the repeated violations show. Tyson is out to win the competition game however they can and our system is not making them pay the complete costs of their actions. It is like continually giving a $10 parking ticket with no other penalty. It seems that the regulatory agency, GIPSA, tries to hide the facts in cases where they investigate so the damages to Tyson and other big players is minimized. They do this behind the excuse of "trade secrets" and confidentiality.

MRJ: I don't give "benefit of doubt" unless there IS doubt. You post plenty of it and expect us to accept your word for everything you post. Given your history here, I can only say: Fat Chance!

Econ: As I said before, I don't expect you to change. What is they say about an old dog learning? The least you could do is ask for the facts, not the opinions of your beloved NCBA. It has been shown time and time again, you don't care about the facts as much as you care about the opinion of someone who you agree with. My question to you is, why is this always against the producer and for the packer?

MRJ:you see "questions of competition" and stopping certain trade practices, I see suppression of cattle producers' to choose how to market. our cattle. "Nanny government" is so tiresome and limiting! Too bad you can't see the dangers in it.

Econ: I have no problem with ANY cattlemen to market their cattle they best way they see fit. It is the basis of competition. I do, however, have problems with the packers breaking the operative economic section of the Packers and Stockyards Act. You do not seem to. Is it because you believe in competition for producers and not packers who have market power (this is the whole reason the Packers and Stockyards Act was passed). Does this come under the heading for you, "Can't teach an old dog new tricks?"

MRJ:Were not Swift and Tyson forced to operate under laws/rules restricting what they may ask potential employees about their origin?

Econ: So you bought that line of bull? It shows how gullible you are. I am sure Tyson skipped asking those kind questions you ask when they were busy coyoteing (sp) illegal immigrants from Mexico to their U.S. plants. Perhaps you should use that as a defense for Swift. You really do like excusing these guys don't you?

MRJ: From your self-proclaimed pinnacle of knowledge and information, how much more money would you say the consumer will put into the beef market in order for packers to pay workers what those workers want for an honest days work, done on a slowed down, safe chain speed, with as many inspectors as the unions deem necessary to produce a 'pristine' product? If the money consumers would pay isn't enough, how low will they have to drop cattle prices to make a 'reasonable profit' for doing business in the 'kinder, gentler' manner you seem to espouse?

Econ: So you think that we should have an economy where housing prices increase at huge rates compared to the food people consume? You have talked about increasing the pie and not griping about the size of the pie before. I see a shrinking pie when it comes to food in relation to other goods. You claim to use this bull argument. I think the legal market should set the rate of pay, not the illegal alien suppressed prices. You may disagree. You might even enjoy the benefits of child labor, if it reduces your costs at Wacky World. I have a much broader view. If beef prices have to climb a little so workers are safer and our food supply is safer, then yes, I think that is a good trade off. When Tyson or Swift are blocked from paying the full costs of illegal activity, the people who do not engage in these activities are at a comparative disadvantage. It leads to a consolidation in the industry and abuse of market power. It becomes more imperative that the PSA is enforced.

MRJ: I do tend to look on the positive side, and am an optimist by nature. However, I don't believe i have EVER said "everything is fine" for the entire beef industry. We do have enemies. Have you ever addressed or worked against the REAL enemies of the cattle/beef industry???

Econ: So you just overlook the problems to keep your optimism. Talk about having your head in the sand!!! If you don't think suppressed prices for the overall market is an enemy of producers, think again!!! You have yet to show where the Beef Checkoff has helped in relation to poultry, beef's main competitor. You have yet to comment in a vociferous manner over the uncovered abuses of GIPSA against producers at the political level, and instead have spouted off the party line handed down by the NCBA. Just who are the REAL enemies of the cattle/beef industry if it is not the stupidity you exemplify?

Econ: You miss the bigger issues, MRJ.

MRJ: I damn sure know enough pessimists to realize they simply will not allow "everything to be fine" in life nor industry.

Econ: I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin.
* Leonard Cohen

Sandcheska: "If you can find where I have been untruthful, post it"

You claimed the current firewalls are not adequate to protect consumers from domestic bse. That is not only untruthful, that is an out and out lie. Even Leo McDonnell acknowledged that our firewalls will protect US consumers.

That's one lie of many!

~SH~

CORN CORN CORN......I did not find Agman's predictions, but last Fall was a prime example of how unsettled the market can get. As for cheap Corn in the future...............it is NOT going to happen. Ethanol is the real deal and anybody that thinks this is a fart in a whirlwind is still drinking STAG Beer!
If we plant all these corn acres,( I think we will plant s few more but no where near all these fat cat Corn guru's think) we will still come up short with a good crop......PROBLEM DROUGHT in the Corn Belt, Planting delays, Pollination, Early Frost..........we have a lot of Market Drivers left.!!!!
Feeder Cattle will be priced under Fats in the Fall or sooner............DEAL WITH IT! HAVE A GREAT MARKETING DAY!

~SH~ said:
Sandcheska: "If you can find where I have been untruthful, post it"

You claimed the current firewalls are not adequate to protect consumers from domestic bse. That is not only untruthful, that is an out and out lie. Even Leo McDonnell acknowledged that our firewalls will protect US consumers.

That's one lie of many!

~SH~

Calm down and grow up, Junior. That is not a lie.

Econ, your condescension, arrogance, and agenda against packers, USDA, and NCBA is overwhelming your common sense......AGAIN.

Since your "real facts" consist of your implications that the above groups are all acting in collusion to cheat the cattle producer, with your apparent expectation that we are to believe you that they all are getting away with that collusion and no one has been able to stop them, my opinion is that your premise is ludicrous, at best.

So, only your own biases are based on experience and fact, leaving you pure in heart? What a joke!

You really should have more of a clue what I want than you exhibit. I've stated often enough that I want honesty and integrity from everyone, good government, which IMO, is the least government we can get by with.

You won't accept any facts that do not support your biases and agenda.

When did you ever answer a "tough question" with verifiable facts?

Jow many peoples' minds must you read to get the "facts" for your claims that GIPSA deliberately tries to hide facts for the specific reason of minimizing damages to Tyson and others?

I ALWAYS ask for facts. Does NCBA have "opinions' rather than properly based stands on issues? I don't think so, and it is an insult to the many members from across this nation who work out our stands on issues.

BTW, my "beloveds' are my family and close friends. My professional organization, the biggest and best in the nation run by and for CATTLE PRODUCERS, is NCBA. Many people find it wiser to reserve love for people, not 'things', nor even organizations.

I will address you on the competition issue later after reading the report, and the opinions about it of respected industry economists , educators, and other leaders, so don't think you are off the hook on your biased comments there.

BTW, your slights about me being "old" are a wasted effort ......I know very well that I'm old, and very happy to be so, since I've lived well past the 63 year life-span of both my mother and my maternal grandmother.

It is a fact that there are regulations preventing real pressure on people to learn whether or not they are illegal. It is a fact that some of them use fraudulent papers and ID which are very difficult to detect. Did you inadvertently neglect to show your "proof" that Tyson was "coyoteing" illegals into this country?

I never mentioned housing costs, so that has to be your diversion to screen the fact that higher costs for processing food is going to be paid by someone if wages and other costs increase.

Certainly, food has been subsidized to keep costs low for those voters, just as the liberals also want more illegals here to make more legal babies for future constituents!

What I've said before about "the pie" is that we are better off with a smaller piece of a larger pie, (meaning that smaller piece will 'weigh' more or be more money, than the bigger piece was, therefore is a better deal!) not your gibberish!

The only 'child labor' I'm interested in benefitting from is when my grandchildren and their friends help me around the house or yard, or the community. And I generally pay them quite generously, one way or another.

Which brings up a personal gripe. Why shouldn't pay for jobs, including minimum wage jobs, be determined by the value of the work done, return it brings to the business? It would be wonderful if all jobs could be a "living wage".......but what if there isn't enough income generated to the business to pay that wage?

My, but you have insulted a lot of optimistic cattle producers with your comments about optimism! We don't have our heads in the sand, we are only looking at the glass as half full, rather than half empty.......and taking action to keep the level rising!

The Beef Checkoff has successfully shown the benefits of nutrients of beef over chicken. It has been demonstrated that when people can afford the best, they do buy beef. The new convenience beef products to compete with those of the poultry industry are moving, and more are coming soon. Price is a somewhat limiting factor, but just watch (with as much honesty as you can muster, if any) the new beef convenience products in the future!

Perhaps you should look in your mirror to see one of the worst enemies of the cattle/beef industries.........people with bias and an agenda to break up the system which processes and distributes our beef, with only hopes and dreams that smaller packers can do it just as efficiently.

However, the real enemies of cattle producers are those who would regulate us out of business; EPA, Peta, and others allied with them, an opinion many other ranchers share with me.

Realizing you will twist and attempt to mind read and crystal ball gaze my comments into something they are not, the cattle/beef industry would be better served if you stop attempting to play your little mind games and post something the least bit useful.

MRJ

Econ "Brad S., they wrote a book for/about you:

It should be a good read for you."

Ahhh, ad hominum dismissal by a feeb = high praise by double negation.

MRJ:
You won't accept any facts that do not support your biases and agenda.

When did you ever answer a "tough question" with verifiable facts?

Jow many peoples' minds must you read to get the "facts" for your claims that GIPSA deliberately tries to hide facts for the specific reason of minimizing damages to Tyson and others?

I ALWAYS ask for facts. Does NCBA have "opinions' rather than properly based stands on issues? I don't think so, and it is an insult to the many members from across this nation who work out our stands on issues.

You mean the way you dismissed the GAO and OIG investigations into GIPSA? My argument with you is that YOU DON'T recognize facts that don't meet your agenda.

Put in some of the common interests of cattlemen and packers and poof, dismiss the interests of producers. It is an old political tactic that you have fallen into at the detriment of producers and the benefit of packers. I think at your age, not being able to understand this, you are hopeless. I, as others, have accepted this fact.

Keep the excuses coming. I think that we have a cheap food policy and that more of our disposable income should be spent on quality food. That is growing the pie. You give reference to the bigger pie but are inept at achieving it. Do you not think that workers who make more money will eat more beef over chicken? If so, why would you advocate a policy of helping decrease wages for regular workers for the benefit of those at the top who reap those rewards (Tyson)? I guarantee you that all those workers earning more money will eat more beef that Tyson at the top earning that money. John Tyson can eat only 1 steak at a time.

I have no doubt you believe what you say. I wish you would just put your thinking cap on from time to time instead of using your simple mentality that ends up cheating producers and benefiting packers/consumers. You must agree with the NCBA nutritionist that beef is just too expensive and producers should give it away.

Brad S said:
Econ "Brad S., they wrote a book for/about you:

It should be a good read for you."

Ahhh, ad hominum dismissal by a feeb = high praise by double negation.

Brad S., there is probably a site for debating tactics you may be interested in.

Latest posts