• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bred cow sales

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Buyer

Reaction score
Two more good bred cow sales today and yesterday at Burwell and Ericson. Bred heifers $1250 to $1560, dispersion cows 3 to 7 years old $1450 to $1650 older and short term $850 to $1300. Standing room only.

Bred cows are a hell of a lot cheaper than that up here. Good time to invest in cows up here with the price of feeder calves but not a lot of people have the money to invest in them. The agriculture sector is really hurting up here.

Buyer said:
What are your bred cows worth? Tried to buy some out of there before the BSE but didn't work out.

My bred cows are worth 2200.00 ea. But what I would get for them at auction would be $800 - $1,200 depending on the day. Am I bitter? hmmmmmmmm.... :?

The neighbor was looking for some tax relief (some still are making money) and needed some more cows, he got 6 reds at $1100 and the last 5 cows in the ring were second calving blacks he got for $800 everyone else seemed full and 1 bid was his.

The best young cows are still bringing 'decent' money although not where they were prior to BSE.

I went to the local sale barn today and I don't know what adult cattle would bring as there were none there. :???:

Some of the worst looking calves I have seen still walking averaged around 400# and brought $1.48 to $1.60 per pound :? - - - these were in groups of 4 to 6 head and would have totaled 50 head. I guess the factory farmer with 5 to 20 acres must be buying them as I don't feel I'm good enough to keep half of them alive and sure would not want to try to make money on them. :(

There was not a good looking calf in the barn. I have not been there for several years but have been hearing these stories so I thought I would go a few weeks to see what is happening. :roll:

As cheap as corn and hay are I was thinking of buying a few to add to the 30 I have and feed them out. :) Not today!!!! :!:

Latest posts