• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BSE CASE CONFIRMED IN ALBERTA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rkaiser said:
You know --- I really wish that more Asian and European consumer would actually read this thread or words like this more often. Canada could well export all of the extra beef we have off of this continent. The money and the need are out there. If those folks would know more of the truth about the USA and it's deception and Rcalf's admitting of that description - hell Asia and E.U. be damned - we would be selling more beef in to the good old USA. The longer this BS goes on the better chance Canada has of becoming "the " export nation of the world.

Keep it up Sandhusker - keep it up Oldtimer. We are getting closer to BSE testing our product every day. And when we do - we will be replacing beef from Montana in California meat cases. Montana meat that "could' be BSE infected and is being deceptively hidden - according to the Rcalf boys themselves.

I hope you are able to market tested beef. There is no flipping reason that it should be banned in a free market society that we're supposed to be living in.

R-CALF is simply admitting what should be obvious to anybody who has half-way followed the story. It's called not running from the truth, usually a good policy. Sure would be nice if the USDA would adopt it.

rKaiser ,That's why I know Ron's live BSE test for a herd would be great . Those animals beef could be exported with full traceback records right down to every tested animal. SA has the traceback and Country of Origin technology now and Rons BSE test will be here soon.

rkaiser said:
You know --- I really wish that more Asian and European consumer would actually read this thread or words like this more often. Canada could well export all of the extra beef we have off of this continent. The money and the need are out there. If those folks would know more of the truth about the USA and it's deception and Rcalf's admitting of that description - hell Asia and E.U. be damned - we would be selling more beef in to the good old USA. The longer this BS goes on the better chance Canada has of becoming "the " export nation of the world.

Keep it up Sandhusker - keep it up Oldtimer. We are getting closer to BSE testing our product every day. And when we do - we will be replacing beef from Montana in California meat cases. Montana meat that "could' be BSE infected and is being deceptively hidden - according to the Rcalf boys themselves.

Randy,you and that simple minded questionable are the the only folks that believe testing will improve your export markets,the packers and your government know better............you start honestly testing cattle up there you canuckleheads be broke by spring,then you would have the prime minister creating another subsidy.
consider yourself lucky packers wont allow testing.
good luck

and if you start honestly testing cattle down there what would be the result and how much subsidy (i mean assistance) would american cattlemen be asking for? you might want to reflect that if canada tested every otm the pressure would be for the usa to do the same and you might not like the result. i hope we do start testing for market access and then we'll hear the whimpers from south of the line about the level playing field! the stooges of r-calf keep painting the corner smaller and the packers are laughing their butts off because you're their best friends. you can pontificate about the canadian herd being captive supply but with the anti-export antics of your big four packers your cattle are every bit as captive as ours. i think haymaker, oldtimer and simplehusker are the real packer backers!

don said:
and if you start honestly testing cattle down there what would be the result and how much subsidy (i mean assistance) would american cattlemen be asking for? you might want to reflect that if canada tested every otm the pressure would be for the usa to do the same and you might not like the result. i hope we do start testing for market access and then we'll hear the whimpers from south of the line about the level playing field! the stooges of r-calf keep painting the corner smaller and the packers are laughing their butts off because you're their best friends. you can pontificate about the canadian herd being captive supply but with the anti-export antics of your big four packers your cattle are every bit as captive as ours. i think haymaker, oldtimer and simplehusker are the real packer backers!

When you get close to passing some packer laws then you can crow,as it stands you are just another canucklehead spreading canuckmanure,like I said .good thing you have those American packers tending your canuck ass otherwise you would be broke by spring.................good luck

Grandad said:
Good to see you've joined in Hay Maker. The other two amigos were starting to sound rhetorical.

Good to be back,but sad to see you canucks have another positive BSE cow,The Canadian Food Inspection Agency must be slipping,not a good thing to miss one.
good luck

Tam said:
Sandhusker said:
Kaiser, "At least if she would have gone south in a box and been eaten; and caused some old Montana fart to start walking around in circles; they could have traced the box she came in back to Canada."

Because of the incubation period of the disease, he'd have to keep the box around for 15-20 years, then prove the disease came from beef from that box. Even if he could, would be impossible, what good would it do him? Would he somehow be less dead knowing where it came from?

Funny how when it was the Texas and Alabama cows that were born before the feed bans it was no big deal but this cow was born before the feed bans and we are back to we are all going to die if we import Canadian beef. :roll:

Actually, in Canada, the age of the cow means little or nothing, unless it was born after July 2007- since the CFIA has admitted the presence of/spread of BSE in Canada since 1991- and that the 97 feedban didn't work in Canada...The only ones that can't see the 97 feedban didn't work is the USDA :roll: :( :(

Oh OT you have come over here to lick you wounds. The reality is the animal was voulenteered to be tested. None of her made it into the human or animal foodchain. All the fear mongering and hypothedical situations do not change that. The CFIA is finding the statisically predicted numbers by the OIE based on their predicted incedent rate, my question is where are the 3 head the OIE predicted should be found every year since 2003. You guys have found 2 when you should have found 12 where are the other 10 indeginous USA positives???? In the animal foodchain or human foodchain or buried in the back 40 ? Or do the laws of averages and statisical anaysis not apply in the US :roll: the CFIA is finding because they are testing and producers want to elinimate the disease. Funny how nobnody wants to adress that.
As for HM's comment that testing will break the Canadian government even manditory testing of OTM as of today will not break the robust canadian ecomony. In fact the canadian goverment as others in the world have raised interest rates to stimulate investment of the US economy. It is the US that is borrowing all they can to simply pay the bills.
Hm concerning the packer ownership you are crowing about it must be nice for the government to say who can own what. I remember reading about that sort of thing it is called fascism maybe you can praise mousilini while you are at it. HM a piece of advice, If you are going to throw stone don't do it in front of your picture window and complian when it gets broken from return fire.
I am getting off topic i guess it happens when you deal with r-calfers and their convoluded discussions.
Face facts guys these r-calfers are like coyotes that find where a calf was born 2 days ago they howl and lick the grass they found a meal :!: which would have been good if they were there 2 days earlier :roll:

"Had this 13-year-old cow not been detected under Canada's limited, voluntary testing program, the meat from that cow would have been eligible for export to the United States," Thornsberry pointed out. "OTM cattle in a BSE-affected country bear an inherently higher risk for the disease, and USDA is acting irresponsibly by allowing both higher-risk beef and higher-risk cattle into the U.S. food supply.

I think that right there says it all...It wouldn't be so bad if the US producer/consumer were getting a benefit from these higher risk imports- or if they could even make an informed choice-- but as it is right now- we take all the risk with no gain...

The least USDA should do if they are going to import Canadian higher risk beef is require it all be labeled thru to the consumer- so the consumer can make that decision.....

HAYMAKER Wrote:

Randy,you and that simple minded questionable are the the only folks that believe testing will improve your export markets,the packers and your government know better............you start honestly testing cattle up there you canuckleheads be broke by spring,then you would have the prime minister creating another subsidy.
consider yourself lucky packers wont allow testing. good luck

Testing is a real opportunity for cattle/beef producers to eapand their markets and to break into more foreign markets that are currently not being supplied. The cost of testing appears to be an issue here in this thread and I am here to tell you guys that the cost is nowhere near what you think it is.

The CFIA and the USDA were told by myself back in 2003 that the cost to test each animal will be less than $ 25.00 per head. That was 4 years ago. We can now test at less than that to ap oint where it reflects only pennies per pound of product. Of course, the Packers will not do it because their concern is the "Bottom Line!" And only the "Bottom Line - Period!!!"

Randy is absolutely correct that if this animal had entered the slaughterhouse kill floor a year or three back it would have simply walked down the ramp and nobody would have been aware of it being an infected animal. The real question should be "How many others have done that and entered the human food chain, not just in Canada but everywhere else?"

Instead, some of you guys here seem to think that this is a Canada/USA feud. Get over yourselves and wake up. This problem is not going to go away and the amount of testing that is being done currently is an obscenity that is designed to only appease the minimum standards required to qualify under OIE Regulations. So, in short, testing a very very small percentage of the National Herds gives us what - a plastic sense of security? I cannot look at a steak or beef product without wondering if that came from an animal that walked onto the kill floor without displaying a single symptom but was, in fact full of PrPsc and only days away from clinical manifestation. Think about that next time you fire up the BBQ or go to Safeway. And to think that some of you guys think that the Packers actually care?? Too funny!! They don't give a rat's arse about testing because it will cost them money and that would be wrong in their eyes.

Instead, we have the same old syndrome here that smacks of putting out a product knwoingly being aware that it does come with risks and yet they classify it under "acceptable losses." The current governments/administration sees only a problem that will not manifest itself in their term of office (incubation period) and for them it is easier to leave it for others to worry about than to fix it now.

But for a producer to say it is too expensive and that it will lead to Government Subsidies - do some homework before you write your posts. Testing - LIVE TESTING THAT IS - is not expensive and it will enhance your market and maybe, just maybe it will make the packers realize that the world will be safer and the health of our children really is important.

Packers will not look at testing simply because of the bottom line and also being forced to hold the carcass for a day or so until the results come back. The current practice of marginal testing is like telling a woman that she is only a "little bit pregnant" and it soon shall pass.

Hey tester i have no problem making test manditory for every animal not just OTM's. In reality there is no live test on the market yet and with the amount of testing and research that needs to be done before such a test is provided to the world markets it will be quite some time.
Funny no r-calfers wants to adress where the predicted 10 BSE/BASE positive indeginous cows went or are?
But just look at the r-guys to the south already spreading rumors the border is shut to canadian cattle :roll: The CFIA and USDA have said nothing about the border closing just wishful thinking of r-calfers. Just because you say it does not make it true. Not going to happen r-calf. This is like standing on a mole hill and announcing you just conquered the matterhorn :roll:
Ifs and buts from the past will drive you nuts. There are a million theroetical situations maybe we should deal with what is going on rather than what could have happened :?:

Question, " The CFIA is finding the statisically predicted numbers by the OIE based on their predicted incedent rate, my question is where are the 3 head the OIE predicted should be found every year since 2003. You guys have found 2 when you should have found 12 where are the other 10 indeginous USA positives????"

The CDC says you have 26 times more than we do, so the question is; Where are your other 13?

You want to call down the thunder well here it is. The OIE is unbias they have nothing to gain. The CDC is Run by the US govenment are there any politicians that have anything to gain. :roll: The CDC numbers you speak of are based on the actual number of positives found in both countries. It has been widely acknowledged that there have been more positives that have not been properly identified in the US consequently the CDC numbers are inaccurate. So keep quoting bias numbers it won't change reality.
Now answer my question what about the other 10 bse/base positives in the US are they buried, or have they been put thru the human or animal food chain. All canadian cattlemen want to do is eliminate bse that is why we voulenteer target animals for testing. Why do you want to hide the fact that BSE and /or BASE is circulating and spreading with the continental USA. Do you realize that you are neglegent if not complicite in the spread of this disease. If only you could be held fianancially responsible and liable for anyone who gets BASE-vCJD, then maybe you would realize what the the right thing to do is. The sad thing is that it would be too late for an innocent victim.
You guys want to play games, up here we do not. We have been forced to live in the real world and it is is a cold nasty place where ifs and buts cannot be afforded. Get real there is a problem that must be eliminated and playing games won't do it, maybe get a dose of reality.

The OIE was set up to facilitate trade, don't tell me they aren't biased toward trade. The CDC is going against the politicians with the special interests and USDA, they aren't concerned with "trade." Considering the date the USDA said your feed ban was effective and their claims of a "low" risk without being able to define "low", "medium", or "high", the CDC seems much more credible on the subject.

If your true intentions were to protect the innocents, you wouldn't sending non-tested beef down here. Your intentions are centered around your wallet.

Maybe familirise yourself with the OIE. The primary concern is animal health of the world they are the animal version of the WHO. It is a long way down from that ivory tower but here we go, until pressured by the USA repesentatives a country could not export animals for 6 years after finding a BSE/BASE positive animal so under the old rules the US would not be able to export anywhere in the world for another 4 1/2 years. Who got the risk levels system put in to allow some trade - your US representatives. You guys want to change rules - OK , but you do not get special rules that only apply to the US.
As i have told you before Sand h I market all my own slaughter animals and you know that, so don't do the whole holier than thow act.

QUESTION said:
Maybe familirise yourself with the OIE. The primary concern is animal health of the world they are the animal version of the WHO. It is a long way down from that ivory tower but here we go, until pressured by the USA repesentatives a country could not export animals for 6 years after finding a BSE/BASE positive animal so under the old rules the US would not be able to export anywhere in the world for another 4 1/2 years. Who got the risk levels system put in to allow some trade - your US representatives. You guys want to change rules - OK , but you do not get special rules that only apply to the US.
As i have told you before Sand h I market all my own slaughter animals and you know that, so don't do the whole holier than thow act.

You're right, the OIE did change their guidelines on trade after being pressured by the US. That should tell you something about their credibility on health issues/trade. If they were unbiased and purely a health organization, why did they change their tune? Did the USDA have some new science to update their knowledge on the disease?

Sandhusker said:
QUESTION said:

You're right, the OIE did change their guidelines on trade after being pressured by the US. That should tell you something about their credibility on health issues/trade. If they were unbiased and purely a health organization, why did they change their tune? Did the USDA have some new science to update their knowledge on the disease?

You got another coon treed here? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts