• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BSE case details

Help Support Ranchers.net:

foodmarket

Reaction score
http://www.foodmarket.com/newsemail.asp?key=267581

Also, any questions, ask me, I'll tell you what I know.

Pete

Wherever it was, it was somewhere "remote enough" that it had no access to the BioRad tests at any universities or other labs....

Since the sample was taken and preserved in April, the USDA has changed policies to prohibit freezing and preservation before testing, except in extreme case.

I see the sample was taken back in April, I guess they must had to walk out with the sample to get it to the lab to test ,hopefully its negative as beef does not need any more negative publicity.[/code]

I would expect the US to find other cases now that the cat was let out of the bag. I would think now that something as important as a suspected sample would not be forgotten from now on!

Get serious Remote isn't the word for it, what did the winter snow just melt and the Pass open to allow travel out of the high country in the Rockies? This is a world of four wheel drives on every ranch and this vet couldn't get the sample out for testing within a reasonable length of time. Isn't it nice that the USDA will again be following a four month old cold trail. I guess they were lucky it was a remote herd if test samples couldn't get out maybe the rest of the animals born in the herd are still on that remote ranch. :roll:

Tam said:
Get serious Remote isn't the word for it, what did the winter snow just melt and the Pass open to allow travel out of the high country in the Rockies? This is a world of four wheel drives on every ranch and this vet couldn't get the sample out for testing within a reasonable length of time. Isn't it nice that the USDA will again be following a four month old cold trail. I guess they were lucky it was a remote herd if test samples couldn't get out maybe the rest of the animals born in the herd are still on that remote ranch. :roll:

The article says the attending vet "forgot" to send it in. So... not a distance or accesibility issue, but a dumbkopf issue.

I don't see this as any different than the first Canadian cow. The head sat in the freezer at the lab for what, three months? No one thinks they have a BSE cow and must get it in to be tested . I'm sure if they thought it was posative they never whould have sent it in.
I can see the rancher and the vet standing there. Hey, this looks like BSE. Lets send it in and become well known and respected. Yea, right!
Fortunatly, the media doesn't see it as more than a 5 second clip. It's only big news if it effects you directly.

greybeard said:
I don't see this as any different than the first Canadian cow. The head sat in the freezer at the lab for what, three months? No one thinks they have a BSE cow and must get it in to be tested . I'm sure if they thought it was posative they never whould have sent it in.
I can see the rancher and the vet standing there. Hey, this looks like BSE. Lets send it in and become well known and respected. Yea, right!
Fortunatly, the media doesn't see it as more than a 5 second clip. It's only big news if it effects you directly.

No Greybeard, you are correct. It's not unlike the May 2003 Canadian cow. Except that the USDA screwed up the Washington cow (big questions as to whether it was a downer), screwed up the Texas cow (we all know the story) and now the public (and media) will question this one also because of the circumstances. We've had 3 possible cases and the USDA has botched all 3. When does the insanity stop? We should have professionals running the show here.

Above I say Rancher. The safe bet will be Dairyman. I can't figure why we in North America are seeing a majority of beef cows. In England it is mostly dairy, and some beef breeds have never had a confirmed case.

maybe the feeding practises are different, or like others have suggested, an environmental factor. I can't imagine the feeding practises are that much different!

greybeard said:
Well that is true with the Canadian cow but up until then BSE was not an issue in North American herd. It was just another random test that Canada and the US had been doing for the last decade with no positives. Since May 20th 2003, that is not the case. Both the US and Canada have enhanced their testing programs to cover these on farm dead and dieing cattle. This vet was authorized to take the sample from remote areas and it was his duty to make sure that sample was tested. It took him 4 months to remember he had a BSE sample in his clinic :???: I see that as a big different when you look at the two cases. That BSE test, with the new enhanced system that is always being cheered by the USDA as doing such a great job, should have been out of his clinic within hours not months. I'm sure the ranchers in Alberta didn't stand around saying Hey, this looks like BSE. Lets send it in and become well known and respected. but the vet that was called in and that was authorized to take the samples made sure the samples were sent in for testing.

greybeard said:
Above I say Rancher. The safe bet will be Dairyman. I can't figure why we in North America are seeing a majority of beef cows. In England it is mostly dairy, and some beef breeds have never had a confirmed case.

How is it a save bet that it is a Dairyman? you said yourself "we in North America are seeing a majority of beef cows." :?

Tam, stop being so tough on these Americans, they have obviously not had the time to deal with two cases, in such a short period of time!

The first one was tested the first time and it took them seven months to find the true result, the second was found in April, they are getting better, it only took them three months this time!

At least they know they are not capable and are sending the sample to England for confirmation.

Hell, RCALF should have fun with this eh? Unsafe, untested meat, from a contaminated country!

Wouldn't it have been great if they would have left it alone, and just agreed with the USDA, CIE on safety standards? I wonder how many more RCALF willl have to make excuses for?

I guess they wish they had started when Canada did, and had the same standards as we have today, instead of denying the fact!

Well Murgen I have to say I'm glad the USDA is sending the sample out of the country because their testing credibility is a bit weak. :nod:
When Canada found two in a short time, we had an epidemic :x but I'm sure R-CALF can spin this to make it look as if they still have the safest beef in the world. :roll: They don't have LIEING LEO to cover their butts anymore but givin' a chance i'm sure Bulls**t Bullard can come up with something. I just hope they don't have a CCIA tag in that remote area of the US. I believe BSE could have been a non issue if R-CALF had shut their lieing mouths and kept their lawyers at bay but what can you except from a group called Ranchers-Cattlemen Action LEGAL FUND that is lead by men that have no conscious. I can't believe Montana is a home to such people. Do you think TAM should stand for Truly Ashamed of Montana.

Tam said:
Well Murgen I have to say I'm glad the USDA is sending the sample out of the country because their testing credibility is a bit weak. :nod:
When Canada found two in a short time, we had an epidemic :x but I'm sure R-CALF can spin this to make it look as if they still have the safest beef in the world. :roll: They don't have LIEING LEO to cover their butts anymore but givin' a chance i'm sure Bulls**t Bullard can come up with something. I just hope they don't have a CCIA tag in that remote area of the US. I believe BSE could have been a non issue if R-CALF had shut their lieing mouths and kept their lawyers at bay but what can you except from a group called Ranchers-Cattlemen Action LEGAL FUND that is lead by men that have no conscious. I can't believe Montana is a home to such people. Do you think TAM should stand for Truly Ashamed of Montana.

You guys forget that R-calf wanted to test them all. Then the truth would come out how big of a problem it is. I say test them all over 30 months if that is what it takes.

Oh, we don't forget that or the other statements they have made. We'll keep reminding you, if you don't remember. I think you will be soon be reminded by the other ranchers in the US too.

they too are getting sick of RCALF's bull sheet!

Tam, I said "I can't figure out why we in North America are seeing a majority of Beef cows ".
How much MBM did you feed you range cows in southern Saskatchewan? The big users were the dairy barns.
They start the calves on milk replace after the first 2 doses of colostrums. It used to have MBM. Most eat pellet supplement every day of their life. Most beef guys feed home grown feeds.
At least 2 of the Canadian Beef animals were raised as purebred breeding stock. Anouther group that uses pellets to increase performance. Was the Texas cow from a purebred operation or a hobby farm that would use pellets?
Someone on another thread suggested killing all pre "97" cows. Maybe send the meat over to the Brits. They seem to have developed immunity to BSE. They ate an estimated 700 thousand before it was considered dangerous. With a long incubation period they were suppose to be dropping like flies by now. They expect less than 5 to die of vCJD this year.
Bears killed 2 people in Canada in May. Maybe we should spend a couple of billion studying bears.
As I said , I can't figure it.

Latest posts