• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bud Williams has died

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bverellen

Reaction score
Bud Williams Has Died
Posted by Ann Barnhardt - November 25, AD 2012 10:13 PM MST

The man who taught me the cattle business and largely enabled everything I have accomplished, no matter how far afield from cattle that might seem, has died. Clyde Leland "Bud" Williams passed away from pancreatic cancer today, per his wife of 60 years, and also my cattle marketing teacher, Eunice.
Bud was a genius and possessed all of the eccentricity and difficulty that comes with bona fide genius. There are few, and perhaps no "normal" geniuses. Nor should there be.

The last time I saw Bud in December of 2008 he made very, very clear that he did not want any sort of funeral or memorial of any sort. I'm sure Eunice will honor his wishes. Please pray for the repose of Bud's soul, and for Eunice as she transitions to life without Bud.

Here is a very fond memory. This is the first Livestock Marketing School I participated in during my apprenticeship with Bud & Eunice. This was November 5, 2004 at the VFW hall in Bowie, Texas. It seems like yesterday. It also seems like a lifetime ago.

Thank you for teaching me, Bud. Thank you for teaching all of us.

I have never met Bud but he has influenced a lot of people in the cattle industry. I would of liked to of met him when he was in Alberta but just never worked out. Doubt there's many that cant recall not hearing his name mentioned.

I've never heard his name outside this forum, but I gather from what I've read on hear that he had plenty of cattle smarts and folks like that seem to be getting fewer and farther between.
On top of that, it appears that he was well respected in his circles and will be missed. Hate to see the good ones go...

I had the pleasure of meeting Bud & Eunice when they put on a demonstration day at a local feed yard. Bud was very laid back & quite unassuming in the explanations of his methods..... his demonstrations easily proved that his livestock handling worked & worked extremely well. It was Eunice that had to take the opportunity to do the detailed explanations & to do any bragging on Bud although it can't be called bragging when the man easily accomplished every task & difficult scenario we could come up with.
Bud has left a lasting legacy to the cattle industry in his personal quest to pass on his acquired knowledge to as much of the industry as possible!

I never attended any of his schools, but Bud has had a huge impact on my thinking about stockmanship. He challenged me in ways that often times has left me frustrated and irritated, but it has also made me a much better cattle handler. I really wish that I had had an opportunity to see him in person.

My favorite Bud story is about him herding reindeer. :D

The odd time that we get an animal in on foot or treated or loaded a little "Unconventionally" Dad or I will say" Bud would have been proud" :D

Latest posts