• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull Buying

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleCo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
543
Reaction score
0
Ok, let's forget BSE, R-Calf, NCBA, the broken hay baler, the bad pump, etc, for awhile.
I would like to know if $$$$ was no object where would you buy your next herd bull (s) from AND who would you NOT buy a Herd Bull from AND WHY for both questions! You might add what is the top 5 criteris you use in amking a herd bull purchase. #1 being the MOST important and #5 the LEAST important to you. :) Maybe we have a discussion on subject that really we can do someting about!
 

Aaron

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
625
Reaction score
0
Location
Stratton, Ontario
If money was no object eh?....Hmmm....well whiteface has some pretty good looking calves off of her Hattrick and Magna bulls, and I generally like what I see of her cowherd pictures. Some have a little too much leg for me, but other than a few, I like the bunch of them...good udders, lots of length, capacity, perfect teat size, good feet and legs. Provided she isn't too liberal with a feed bucket, I would definately recommend them. Little too pricey for me, but probably worth it :) . Generally I like to buy bull calves and grow them out to yearlings as I like to know how they are being fed out. I would never buy a bull from Remitall Cattle Company, nor would I consider buying from Hereford herds that are primarily Remitall bloodlines. Too much of a focus on providing quality show cattle, less on range and rough commercial cattle that can hack poor pasture and climate conditions. I want cattle that mimic mine in thinking that golden rod and dandelions are the staple and alfalfa is a treat.

Top 5...geez..dunno...but the important ones for me are....Disposition, Feet and Legs; Quality of Dam, Sire and siblings; NATURAL thickness, Moderate frame, Length, EPD's, Capacity, Strong muscle pattern, good set of nuts, ability to walk smoothly, and hair. Colour markings are never of any importance.

I know that Disposition and Feet & Legs are the top 2 important ones for me, but the rest of the traits have about the same importance after that.
 

Northern Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,247
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
We all know there's not much difference between a 5,000 bull and a 50,000 dollar bull-just whiskey and b.s. most times. I'd still buy my bulls at Fraser's in Hussar, Alta.-the most practical run purebred cattle I've ever found. I don't buy alot of bulls but the ones I buy I buy there for the most part. Semen coming on my new Hereford bull for our synched heifers on Wednesday-I can't wait for the baldies to start popping out.
 

whiteface

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Thanks Aaron for the vote of confidence! Sorry about many of them being pricey, they still all seem to find homes and do quite well for their new owners. I agree with the qualities you listed when selecting a new sire. I personally have a hell of a time when it comes to bull purchases...there are so many things I require out of a bull and frustratingly few people demand these same qualities (and certainly not altogether as well) out of the cattle they breed. I'm looking for a new bull also, I'm always looking for a new bull and haven't found one since the calf I brought up out of Texas more than 2 years ago. I'm doing a lot of embryo work to make myself a new bull as well. Magna's calves are looking real promising but I'm going to say that I haven't found a bull yet of any breed that can do what our old Hattrick still does. Have a good day all and thanks for reading from Canada.
P.S. to answer your question CattleCo...I demand damn near everything in a bull and can't name you 5 people that demand the same things I do in the same animal at the same time. Sorry. Most breeders are more focused on one or two traits, not more. I need more than that. Have a good day!
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
CATTLECO your software got???:

Disposition, Feet and Legs; Quality of Dam, Sire and siblings with Pedigree; NATURAL thickness, Moderate frame, Length, EPD's, Capacity, Strong muscle pattern, certified good set of nuts, ability to walk smoothly, and has color an records plus pictures.good udders, lots of length, capacity, perfect teat size,milk to weaned records ,good feet and legs that can work on open range and rough country an cattle grazing records that can hack poor pasture and climate conditions.. like Northern Michigan winters of -40 below.

If not use scoringsystem's www.scoringag.com database CattleCo!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
First you need to determine your herd's weaknesses and find bulls out of PROVEN SIRES or AI directly to the proven sires that have the strengths you need to improve your herd.

First and foremost you need genetics that fit your environment and feed conditions.

I like balanced EPDs for growth and birth traits, no runaways in any certain category.

Breed average on milk with at least 70% accuracy in the milk EPD.

Special emphasis on ribeye and depth of rib (feed conversion).

Marbling is highly overrated. Reduction of seam fat will be the future of this industry without sacrificing fertility.

Moderate framed or whatever frame you need to strengthen your herd's weaknesses. No more than a 6.5 frame!

Sound easy traveling cattle. Like to watch how certain bloodlines do in the showring for this very reason.

Good udders with small teats.

Scrotal circumference of 35+ on yearlings.

Natural thickness and muscling. Not some ALL TOO COMMON hatchet assed pencil gutted purebred angus bull with no nuts.

Best bull I ever laid eyes on was a frame score 5.5 EXT x 600 U. This bull was in the champion simmental pen of 3 in Denver. Tremendous natural thickness and a big ribeye. Both sides of this pedigree had proven bloodlines in two seperate breeds and each side strengthening the weaknesses of the other side.

Nothing but crossbred bulls for me.

Oh, and stay away from those floopy eared cattle near BOARNE TEXAS BY GOD.


~SH~
 

Northern Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,247
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
Good Lord an EXT X 600U-I got some of those curly wolfs here-we breed them Brahma to try and settle them down-I think they could be Canada's next wildlife problem lol. Don't think the showring is really the place to find easy travelling cattle-they should just rename it 'THE MY CATTLE CAN EAT MORE CORN THAN YOURS RING" would be alot closer to the truth. You find a bull out of a 10-12 year old cow whose done it all on grass I'll garantee you she has good feet and legs,is fertile and has a good udder. A good rule of thumb is that rancher's don't buy bulls from farmer's.
 

jigs

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
8,439
Reaction score
0
Location
KANSAS
Aaron said:
If money was no object eh?....Hmmm....well whiteface has some pretty good looking calves off of her Hattrick and Magna bulls, and I generally like what I see of her cowherd pictures. Some have a little too much leg for me, but other than a few, I like the bunch of them...good udders, lots of length, capacity, perfect teat size, good feet and legs. Provided she isn't too liberal with a feed bucket, I would definately recommend them. Little too pricey for me, but probably worth it :) . Generally I like to buy bull calves and grow them out to yearlings as I like to know how they are being fed out. I would never buy a bull from Remitall Cattle Company, nor would I consider buying from Hereford herds that are primarily Remitall bloodlines. Too much of a focus on providing quality show cattle, less on range and rough commercial cattle that can hack poor pasture and climate conditions. I want cattle that mimic mine in thinking that golden rod and dandelions are the staple and alfalfa is a treat.

Top 5...geez..dunno...but the important ones for me are....Disposition, Feet and Legs; Quality of Dam, Sire and siblings; NATURAL thickness, Moderate frame, Length, EPD's, Capacity, Strong muscle pattern, good set of nuts, ability to walk smoothly, and hair. Colour markings are never of any importance.

I know that Disposition and Feet & Legs are the top 2 important ones for me, but the rest of the traits have about the same importance after that.


Looks like I would be a good bull for Aaron..I have a great disposition, sound legs and feet, great family treemuscled, and believe me, I got BIG nuts!!!

starting to lose my hair though.......
 

CattleCo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
543
Reaction score
0
Porker,
I think you're on the wrongpage....YEP we have it all! :wink:
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
~SH~ said:
First you need to determine your herd's weaknesses and find bulls out of PROVEN SIRES or AI directly to the proven sires that have the strengths you need to improve your herd.

First and foremost you need genetics that fit your environment and feed conditions.

I like balanced EPDs for growth and birth traits, no runaways in any certain category.

Breed average on milk with at least 70% accuracy in the milk EPD.

Special emphasis on ribeye and depth of rib (feed conversion).

Marbling is highly overrated. Reduction of seam fat will be the future of this industry without sacrificing fertility.

Moderate framed or whatever frame you need to strengthen your herd's weaknesses. No more than a 6.5 frame!

Sound easy traveling cattle. Like to watch how certain bloodlines do in the showring for this very reason.

Good udders with small teats.

Scrotal circumference of 35+ on yearlings.

Natural thickness and muscling. Not some ALL TOO COMMON hatchet assed pencil gutted purebred angus bull with no nuts.

Best bull I ever laid eyes on was a frame score 5.5 EXT x 600 U. This bull was in the champion simmental pen of 3 in Denver. Tremendous natural thickness and a big ribeye. Both sides of this pedigree had proven bloodlines in two seperate breeds and each side strengthening the weaknesses of the other side.

Nothing but crossbred bulls for me.

Oh, and stay away from those floopy eared cattle near BOARNE TEXAS BY GOD.

~SH~



"Boerne"..........You mean those ole "floppy eared bulls" like this one?



IMG_0219.jpg
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Maple Leaf Angus said:
Good lookin' crossbred there HAY MAKER. I'm tryin' to figure out if he's crossed with a rhino or an elephant.

Rhinos and elephants are grey.
Mcrino.jpg
[/img]
 

Maple Leaf Angus

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,823
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Ontario
Mike - I'm sure that if Porker would dig through his scoringag.com records, he could post the pedigree on that handsome fella and HAY MAKER would be so impressed that he'd want to add him to his stable too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mike - I'm sure that if Porker would dig through his scoringag.com records, he could post the pedigree on that handsome fella and HAY MAKER would be so impressed that he'd want to add him to his stable too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Naw not enough ear................good luck
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Northern Rancher said:
Hate to be picky there Haystack but most of our Canadian bulls have testicles.


well next time I'LL spin him around and take a picture of his balls for you :D :D untill then look at this one.........good luck


IMG_0162_2.jpg
 

Latest posts

Top