• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull Sale Season

Help Support Ranchers.net:

elwapo

Reaction score
Hi all. We have got our website updated with new pictures of this years private treaty bulls for sale.
http://www.watsoncattle.ca/listings.php?ltype=1

Thanks Guys. The interest this year is great and the first two calls produced three sales. I have yet to completely finish the descriptions and pedigree info so check again. My web site is giving me fits because it randomly ads the bulls to the list. I would like to have them show in numerical order!

the bulls look good!

take that sold logo of the montana bull out of the rankin cow. i'd sure like to see a picture of him. that place isn't very far from here - mrs. rankin is a tough old bird. i wintered a handful of bulls that another neighbor of ours bought off that place, pretty decent bulls...

h76
Jeanette is a great lady. We bought a pile of cows off of KHR back in the 90,s because they are run in conditions very similar to ours. are her and George still out on the ranch?

last time i drove by there she was on a 4wheeler with a hole in the muffler chasing a big old red bull straight thru a fence - her cussin drown out the quad.

Just came in from my calving check....nice little heifer on the ground, outside. Didn't bring the girls in tonight, they are quite fine where they are.(-5 C) Next check at about 8:am.......getting pretty lazy in my old age. Sure beats last year though, more than couple of "scuplted ears" and they were in the barn! Some even got them after they were a couple of weeks old.
Synced and AI'd cows last year, 2 groups of 30, due on the 15th and Mar 1st by the calculator.......have 12 on the ground already....but 10 heifers. Theory is bulls will be later calvers, will see.
Good luck with March....these days you are never quite sure what to expect!

Did I say I wasnt calving yet....oops. I had a cow calve in may last year (bred to a neighbours bull after I pulled mine), she went in the cull pasture and i threw a bull in early. I didnt get my cows home from pasture until two weeks ago, so i have not sold the culls yet. Be darned if the old gal didnt calve yesterday!

elwapo said:
Did I say I wasnt calving yet....oops. I had a cow calve in may last year (bred to a neighbours bull after I pulled mine), she went in the cull pasture and i threw a bull in early. I didnt get my cows home from pasture until two weeks ago, so i have not sold the culls yet. Be darned if the old gal didnt calve yesterday!

Back in the spring of 1980 when Peach and I were starting out, fifteen calves were born after our branding day which was the last Saturday in April. Twelve of those fifteen cows calved in the first third of our cows the following year. After seeing that evidence, I've never culled a cow for being a late calver. Very often they won't be again.

Interesting observation Soapweed. I would presume that calving on green grass provides more nutrition which allows cows to cycle sooner? Have you ever tracked the number of early calvers that move to the late group?

Soapweed said:
elwapo said:

Back in the spring of 1980 when Peach and I were starting out, fifteen calves were born after our branding day which was the last Saturday in April. Twelve of those fifteen cows calved in the first third of our cows the following year. After seeing that evidence, I've never culled a cow for being a late calver. Very often they won't be again.

i agree with you, Soapweed. i've never culled late calvers for that very reason, plus there is demand for those lighter calves as we get closer to spring.

Justin said:
Soapweed said:
elwapo said:

i agree with you, Soapweed. i've never culled late calvers for that very reason, plus there is demand for those lighter calves as we get closer to spring.

We don't either... But at the ABS meeting last monday, the big wigs were all pushing for first cycle calving and had a graph to prove that money was better.. pounds across the scale.. I know they had a product to sell..

katrina said:
Justin said:
Soapweed said:

We don't either... But at the ABS meeting last monday, the big wigs were all pushing for first cycle calving and had a graph to prove that money was better.. pounds across the scale.. I know they had a product to sell..

While they are correct, the "experts" conveniently forget that "we" don't live in the perfect world of the board/classroom. :roll:

The past few years I have been keeping a database on my cows. I have noticed that some cows will calve at the very end and be in the very beginning the next. I will not cull a cow that calves late unless it has been year after year....you get the point. We only breed for a 60 day season so some late calvers weed themselves out by becoming open. I agree that a late calf is okay, because a late calf is still a calf that we can sell(better than no calf at all.)

We keep all our calves and it is amazing the weight difference at weaning between early calves and late calves but come next September as yearlings the weight gap really closes.

Latest posts