• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Burned a little hair

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Had to finish working a little bunch of calves. Note to self- don't let them get so dang big next year. 😳
They were a handful but they all got vaccinated and branded and turned bulls into steers. Had the kids and they are all fine hands so I just kinda supervised. Here are a few pics my wife snapped.
D6C98A35-31D9-489D-9F29-EF4F5B639719.jpeg

Littlest H makin smoke. He is a such a good kid, he simply can't be mine. 😁

E8D30859-2863-4FC4-B448-5AA85AF1EC87.jpeg

Always been proud of how good my brand looks on a beef. The next generation has it all taken care of on our outfit.

D0281252-83FE-4127-9AF1-B4E1630DC009.jpeg

The world famous Leaning H Livestock ranch. Y'all have heard of the four 6's and the Pitchfork and the Bell? Ours is just smaller 😁😁

80DD1A13-DA45-4729-A116-6FC9A28B0D08.jpeg

Three good hands watching one old, below average one cut a bull calf.

A20352EE-87D8-436D-9B9A-4178411E0350.jpeg

The kids wanted to see if branding them tipped over was easier. Decided it wasn't 😁 But sometimes we learn better when we try it.

AEC40A98-C431-44CF-9F43-A6898CDA9A8C.jpeg

Little H's new fiancé even got to put a brand in a few. Figured since he is joining our crazy bunch he better get used to pitching in. Plus it allows me even more chances to be lazy.

CB568733-0D3F-4225-8400-42E560469A24.jpeg

Speaking of little H, she was designated vaccine giver. But she said what men can do, women can do better. So she slapped a few off kilter H's on some calves too.

762B502C-28BE-4DA2-9695-A34CB6D9DF9C.jpeg

One last calf for the day. A chocolate chip flavored steer calf. Got them all done and turned onto a pasture a fresh grass. We worked the cows too with pour on and vaccine. Preg checked the last cow that hadn't calved yet. She has a calf but my best guess is at least another month til she does. So I'm going to ship her. No reason she is so far behind except age. So she heads to town. A great day!!! Working with family is simply the absolute best. I'm blessed beyond measure.

And here I thought this was a cowboy/buckaroo outfit..... a calf table and not a horse in sight?! I guess that saves me from inviting you to any of the brandings around here.

First of all I am not a duck. A Washington State Cougar not some quack. Second I have never cut a redwood in my life. Some real big Douglas Fir, Sitka Spruce, and Western Red Cedar but not a single redwood. And third Spotted Owls have wings. They are able to fly and thus are on their own as far as escape plans go.

When I first moved here nearly 4 years ago I was nearly ostracized from the community because I had a calf table on the trailer. It is still sitting right where it was unloaded. I do have a very good condition Powder River calf table if anyone is interested. I will never need it as long as I live here.

I remember old Soapweed giving anybody that didn't rope the gears, They had a great system for a small crew to rope with his wheels on the bale deck arms but as time went on we got to see Soap riding a Side x side and using a calf table.
I loved old Soap but I kind of hope he swallowed hard on the crow he was eating. lol

I remember old Soapweed giving anybody that didn't rope the gears, They had a great system for a small crew to rope with his wheels on the bale deck arms but as time went on we got to see Soap riding a Side x side and using a calf table.
I loved old Soap but I kind of hope he swallowed hard on the crow he was eating. lol
Yup, nothing more irritating than people telling you how you should be doing things. Cory was bad about that too.

It's all good too me. One of the funnest things about this place is how we all do things the same and totally different. I bet ya Webfoot would still let me mug calves if I showed up come branding time. 😁

I wasn't telling H how to do it. I was just pitching a little at him..... because.... well he deserves it. He will turn around and pitch it right back.
Here they say that 30 years ago everyone used calf tables. They went back to roping and dragging because it helped make rope horses and ropers. Both of which are needed from time to time when the cows are in the hills. There is generally no outside help at the brandings here. Just neighbors helping neighbors. No whiskey and just a little beer. A meal after but nothing over the top. Just a simple meal of good food. Heck at one we roasted hot dogs over the fire after we were done. His Mom always fed us better but she passed away last winter. No one complained we just joked and laughed as we roasted hot dogs.

It's all good too me. One of the funnest things about this place is how we all do things the same and totally different. I bet ya Webfoot would still let me mug calves if I showed up come branding time. 😁
H because of all my wisdom acquired with age I will tell you the secret to good calf wrestling at a branding. When a calf is coming to the fire take one quick step followed by a pause. That will allow the young people to beat you to the calf. You would have done it but these youngsters are just too fast. They will beat you to the calf every time. You then stand back and give then advise on how to do it. Once you get enough grey hair they will not allow you to wrestle even if you did beat them to a calf.

As long as the job is done right. I quit going to the big get together branding here, calves with two of the same vaccine or none at all, branded wrong side, horns missed, calves lame from improper handling. Easier on my old nerve cage to just stay home.
A year ago, at the big Discount Fuel Place in Gillette , After filling my red fuel tank in back my ruck. I saw a trailer behind a ranch truck. It had a Cow Country Hydraulic calf table and a long calf alley hooked on. Guy was a hand on a bigger ranch. Said the Boss got tired off the hands being gone May and June , helping everybody that helped them brand. Thus the new calf table
1652743110329.png

Latest posts