• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf catcher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

per

Reaction score
Soapweed or others, I am not sure of the key words that take me to the many post of calf safety cages that attach to quads. My son wants to build one to attach to a ranger to keep him and his mother safe. I like the challenge.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Here is a link to the one Soderglen built http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=15576

And yet another one http://www.agriculture.com/machinery/tools/calf-catcher-makes-it-safer-f-operat_244-ar7659

If you didn't live so far away you could just buy ours. I, like per, prefer the challenge. I have discovered that I can cover more ground quicker and more efficiently with my ranger and shepherds hook (for safety). The cage was invaluable when peach blossom was tagging everything but I don't have much use for it these days. I don't think I even hooked it up last year.

My routine attire during calving consists of a vest that is essentially a fanny-pack full of assorted calf tags, my telescopic shepherds hook that doubles from 5'-10', and a short floppy rope that I can catch calves with and hog tie. I highly recommend the shepherds hook because when a cow isn't giving you your space a gentle tap on the nose from the hook gives a convincing whack. It doesn't even have to be very hard of a "tap" but the inner aluminum shaft vibrates against the outer and I think it scares them more than anything. You just have to be careful not to hit with the side of the hook because those have a tendency to break. Between the hook and strategic parking of the ranger have allowed me to work with calves in a rather safe environment without use of the cage.

I don't look very punchy roaming through the calving lot but I have found these tools to be the most functional for the job.

I have a safety zone catcher. This is my second one first one lasted me about 8 years.
My thoughts on building one is make sure there is enough savings in building your own. There are so many times a person can spend more trying to DIY then just calling a dealer and writing the check. I know the safety zone types have a mounting styles for what ever you want to hook them on too. The best bet is to put it on one machine and leave it on for the season.

I just purchased a safety zone catcher, I like the way it is made and hooks up and unhooks in a couple of minutes, it seems to handle real nice, just waiting for the calves to start coming and put it to use, will feel a lot safer using it since I am getting older and the cows more protectful of their calves.

Latest posts