• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf Shelters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
Anyone got pictures of yours, we have one and are building another, would like to see pictures of others so we cansee if theres anything else we could change for the better when we build the next one, only have one picture so far, will try get more tomarrow, post the pictures of yours if you you can :D
trailcampictures2011046.jpg

make the skid frame out of pipe so that when its froze down you can whack it with a fel to break it loose to move when needed. put flapping panels in the ends so that when you pull it the bedding inside will clear out.

If you have access to some skylights or old windows every bit of light you can get in there sure helps. We used some old house windows in the end so they can see out. We bought some kits from stur dee and ours aren't that tall but I think the taller ones would be better. It seems like the calves stay healthier without calf shelters some years.

have a cold one

lazy ace

Lazy ace, the one in the picture is only about 5 feet tall inside, so the one we are building now is about 6 1/2 feet so we can walk around in there ( me and my dad are both over 6 foot) without haveing to crawl around, and we are thinking that on the next one a skylight would be good, we would use pipe as a base, but where we have them, they pretty much never have to be moved, and if they do its not very often maybe only once every few years and can be done in the summer.

AngusCowBoy said:
Lazy ace, the one in the picture is only about 5 feet tall inside, so the one we are building now is about 6 1/2 feet so we can walk around in there ( me and my dad are both over 6 foot) without haveing to crawl around, and we are thinking that on the next one a skylight would be good, we would use pipe as a base, but where we have them, they pretty much never have to be moved, and if they do its not very often maybe only once every few years and can be done in the summer.

yep sounds like you got a great plan they look good lets hope they rust where they are placed and you won't need any bedding in them. :lol:

have a good one

lazy ace

I do not have a picture, but if you want a cheap indestructable, windproof shelter that looks like a baby Quonset, here is an idea. Find a four foot or larger in diameter culvert, split it on one side from end to end with a metal saw, then open it up like opening your hand (visualize the culvert being your thumb and fore-finger touching, then just open to make a giant C.) It opens real easy with 4 or5 chains hooked onto each side of the split and attached to two tractors going in opposite directions. Two drivers working in unison make it easy to keep the culvert symetrical, having only one driver results in lop sided Quonsets once they are flipped over onto their feet. Wooden or metal ends can be added if desired, or else just butt one end up to a south facing windbreak or barn wall. Calves love them and cows can't get in but are happy to be able to see their babies. Easy to make, easy to move!!!

JDBalerman said:
I do not have a picture, but if you want a cheap indestructable, windproof shelter that looks like a baby Quonset, here is an idea. Find a four foot or larger in diameter culvert, split it on one side from end to end with a metal saw, then open it up like opening your hand (visualize the culvert being your thumb and fore-finger touching, then just open to make a giant C.) It opens real easy with 4 or5 chains hooked onto each side of the split and attached to two tractors going in opposite directions. Two drivers working in unison make it easy to keep the culvert symetrical, having only one driver results in lop sided Quonsets once they are flipped over onto their feet. Wooden or metal ends can be added if desired, or else just butt one end up to a south facing windbreak or barn wall. Calves love them and cows can't get in but are happy to be able to see their babies. Easy to make, easy to move!!!

how's the weather down south?

I didn't think you would need calf shelters that far south. :wink: :lol: :lol:

gcreekrch said:
Most folks call the ones we have "spruce trees". :lol:

Mine is prickley Ash. Never had much luck with the home made scour factories I'd rather bed heavy in the woods than use one my luck sucks when ever a calf has to be inside.

Denny said:
gcreekrch said:

Mine is prickley Ash. Never had much luck with the home made scour factories I'd rather bed heavy in the woods than use one my luck sucks when ever a calf has to be inside.

Fred Engebritsen was an old time rancher that was born and died in this country. The ranch he lived on was homesteaded by his father in about 1896. The home quarter is Lot 1 in the Coast District of BC.

Fred always referred to calving barns and calf shelters as "scour houses". :D His generation never started calving before April 10.

Laid up for a bit over here - should be back on my feet in another week or so - just in time to leave this schitte hole and come home for good - hoping for March time frame - so thought I might just answer this one to let folks know I am still kicking

We just use pine, spruce and cedar - they can lay right on the snow in the bush as far as I am concerned - or the waste hay from bale grazing - it all works for us.

Seems the wife has added us to the sheep community while I am away - cows AND sheep - what is the world coming to?

Shows how little control I have. To think I actually thought I was the boss....

Best to all

BC

Good to hear from you, BC. Glad that you are about to come home for good. You have certainly done way more than your share in helping the cause of freedom, and you are to be greatly commended for your efforts. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

The sheep deal is a small price to pay for your wife's efforts in keeping the home fires burning. Maybe you can regain some control after you get home permanently. Good luck. :wink: :)

Welcome back. Hope to hear more about the sheep....got shoer talked into a few chickens and a milk cow LOL working on the sheep ...I want to learn to spin and what better source than wool. Oh and a nice rack of lamb is awesome for a special meal.

Denny said:
gcreekrch said:

Ours are called sage brush and cedar trees. :D We have permanent sheds that i clean out every spring and lime the heck out of them to kill what i can. Someday i will own a little piece of good brush to turn out into after they hit the ground.

MsSage said:
Welcome back. Hope to hear more about the sheep....got shoer talked into a few chickens and a milk cow LOL working on the sheep ...I want to learn to spin and what better source than wool. Oh and a nice rack of lamb is awesome for a special meal.
Sue has two wheels and a loom, I used to wash and use a drum card to get it ready to spin.

Sorry it took so long, have been busy with school and working, but heres some of the pictures of the one we have done and the one were working on.
Heres the one we did a few years ago (front is paneled off so nothing goes into it yet)

Picture259.jpg

Staked down
Picture258.jpg

Inside
Picture257.jpg

Side veiw
Picture256.jpg

One thats being built
Picture244.jpg

Picture242.jpg

Picture243.jpg

Picture245.jpg