• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calving heifers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
After much thought and consternation I came up with a grand plan for efficiently calving all my 1st calf heifers in as short of a time as possible. It required a great deal of research and scientific study. I've watched on this very site as you all have worked to shorten your calving seasons and it gave me inspiration to do the same. After all my planning and scheming today I was able to pull it off!!! Every heifer on this place calved in one day!!! I'll probably be asked to write a book and speak at cattlemens conferences throughout the west. It will be a burden but I feel up to the task.

So without further ado, here is the result and the secret to how I pulled it off. I'd appreciate if y'all keep it under your hat until I can trademark my idea.
4BEDCB79-9B78-47D0-8A67-00B21B8F495E.jpeg

B197CBD2-98BB-42C6-BFC3-20FDF7F24AA9.jpeg

The secret to a single day of calving out your heifers is to only keep one!!!!! There, I said it!! In the immortal words of Augustus McCrae- "It pays to be lazy "!😁

Hope y'all have as uneventful and smooth of a heifer calving season as I did. The little sister had it unassisted sometime today while we were all either work or school. I'm as happy as deceased liberal on Election Day.

I will have to tell neighbor B of your successful planning. I helped him on Saturday we ran his registered cows and the bred heifers through the chute. I don't know how many cows it was but we counted the bred heifers to make sure they were being fed correctly. There is 132 of them. Somehow I don't think he will be as successful as you on single day heifer calving. Also somehow I don't think he would want 132 heifers to all calf on the same day.

Only 150 heifers to calve here this year. 180 last year, half of them bought, pulled 17 of them. Was a fun year to calve heifers, hope we can come close this spring.

After much thought and consternation I came up with a grand plan for efficiently calving all my 1st calf heifers in as short of a time as possible. It required a great deal of research and scientific study. I've watched on this very site as you all have worked to shorten your calving seasons and it gave me inspiration to do the same. After all my planning and scheming today I was able to pull it off!!! Every heifer on this place calved in one day!!! I'll probably be asked to write a book and speak at cattlemens conferences throughout the west. It will be a burden but I feel up to the task.

So without further ado, here is the result and the secret to how I pulled it off. I'd appreciate if y'all keep it under your hat until I can trademark my idea.
View attachment 1633
View attachment 1634
The secret to a single day of calving out your heifers is to only keep one!!!!! There, I said it!! In the immortal words of Augustus McCrae- "It pays to be lazy "!😁

Hope y'all have as uneventful and smooth of a heifer calving season as I did. The little sister had it unassisted sometime today while we were all either work or school. I'm as happy as deceased liberal on Election Day.
Can you imagine if something would have happened to it? You would have had a 100 % calving lose😀

Ulrichs specialize in Horned Hereford heifer bulls.
I'm on my second bull from Peter Ulrich. I really like them. One benefit of Peter's bulls that people might not be aware of is they dont go through fences. I'm not sure if it is because the bulls grow up around Peters high voltage electric fences. But the bulls I have stay home. I used to rent at a place with neighboring bulls on both sides of me. My bull would hammer the other bulls when they would break into our place but our Hereford Ulrich bulls would never break out.
I just have barbwire for the most part but they won't touch it even with cows on the other side.
Peters bulls are really nice to handle and work around. Good minded.

I'm on my second bull from Peter Ulrich. I really like them. One benefit of Peter's bulls that people might not be aware of is they dont go through fences. I'm not sure if it is because the bulls grow up around Peters high voltage electric fences. But the bulls I have stay home. I used to rent at a place with neighboring bulls on both sides of me. My bull would hammer the other bulls when they would break into our place but our Hereford Ulrich bulls would never break out.
I just have barbwire for the most part but they won't touch it even with cows on the other side.
Peters bulls are really nice to handle and work around. Good minded.
Never met Peter but had several visits with Hans. Really liked him. Bought one bull from them in 1982, he left a lot of good daughters behind.

Do you notice any correlation between calving problems and certain bloodlines?
I don't know about that, but once you get heavy BW in your cows, it's hard to get it back out regardless of what bull you use. When we looked for heifer bulls a good Angus breeder taught me to look back through the bloodlines to see what the birth weights were and that really helped. Don't just go by the individual bw. Amazing what you find when you do that. It was good advice because we hardly ever pulled a calf out of a heifer and NEVER had a c-section.

Latest posts