• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cameras

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
would like some input as to what make,,etc of camera to get for carrying with you , as some of you must do constantly. looking for something tough and extremely simple to run,not very technically inclined :? :? :D

My shirt pocket camera is a Fujifilm Finepix 12.0 mega pixels and my daughters is Lumix by Panasonic 18X optical zoom. At the time it was about the biggest point and shoot . After that you had to go to a Canon Rebel with extra lenses. The Sharptail pic was taken with the Lumix

The camera I have carried for the past several years is a pocket-sized Sony Super Steady Shot DSC-T100 with 8.1 megagpixels, and a Zeiss 5x optical zoom. It has been a good camera.

A few weeks ago I got a new lighter slimmer Canon Power Shot ELPH 300 HS, with 12.1 megapixels and a 5x zoom. So far, I like it very well.

The Canon Powershot is an excellent camera and hard to beat for the price.

I use the slightly larger Olympus SP-S10UZ 7.1 megapixel 10x optical. Not for the shirt pocket though. It has a viewfinder as well as a 2.5 inch screen and a flash. Most of these new cameras take good pictures, the trick is to be there to take it.

I like a "bridge" camera. Not a small point and shoot and not quite a DSLR, but the pictures have a DLSR quality without the price of a DSLR.
I used the Canon Powershot S3 IS for the past 3 years or so. I really liked the camera. I don't think its available anymore. It died on me about a week ago ( I dislike being cameraless :mad: ) After several grueling days of reviewing and comparing cameras online I've decided to go with a Nikon Coolpix L120 with the 21 optical zoom. I like the clarity of the photos and the quality of the videos that I've seen online. I like the idea of having the AA batteries. Many of the other cameras have different battery systems which where I live would be difficult to find or get. I would have liked the tilting LCD or like my Canon had, the LCD that flipped out and could rotate it in any position.
Here is a good site to check out. It will give you options that you would like in a camera and in the end will suggest cameras for you.
Click on "Camera Advisor" or "Find the right camera" ... http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM
That helped me decide what camera I wanted after reviewing the camera's pictures and videos on Youtube.
I'm getting my new camera this week, so I will report back as to how I like it. Good luck. :)

per said:
I use the slightly larger Olympus SP-S10UZ 7.1 megapixel 10x optical. Not for the shirt pocket though. It has a viewfinder as well as a 2.5 inch screen and a flash. Most of these new cameras take good pictures, the trick is to be there to take it.

When Per and I met this last January he noticed that we owned the same make and model camera and wondered on the chances of that.

gcreekrch said:
per said:

When Per and I met this last January he noticed that we owned the same make and model camera and wondered on the chances of that.

Those cameras must have an "Equalizer" feature cause you were both the same height. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Sony H7 , 10 MP (I think, may be 8 mp), 15X opitical zoom. Really like it but now it is having focusing issues. Don't know if it is fixable or not. Like Jigger Boss' camera, it is 3 years old. I remember she got hers a tad bit before I got mine :) I hope 3 years isn't the magic self destruct age now so we have to buy new cameras!

JB, I will be anxiously waiting to hear how you like your new one, in case I have to get one too. Mine has had a rough life, I take it pretty much everywhere in a not very dust proof case.

i just love this site, put in a simple request on anything from boots to cameras and get an overnight review panel suggesting possible solutions

thank-you all very much for your real life considerations :D :D

BMR, what model of fugi camera is yours.

boy, getting the right model, combination of features and price etc is a real challenge. maybe even harder than picking a new rifle/scope/calibre.

hayguy said:
BMR, what model of fugi camera is yours.

boy, getting the right model, combination of features and price etc is a real challenge. maybe even harder than picking a new rifle/scope/calibre.

FinePix F50fd

Walmart special I think. It does pretty good but underpowered compared to what some here use. :D
I do have a little Merkury optics telephoto lens that sticks on magnetically that Tam picked up for just a couple of dollars on clearence. Really helps the zoom. :D

Rebel cannon with the extra lenses is great. cost over $300 to get fixed a lense and camera when Sue slipped on the ice this spring. Kids have Casio exilim, and little kodak easy share m530, each works good . I got one of those $30 pamida specials that actually dose some good pictures.

BMR if you can picture this Arvid and I were camera shop talk about the blind leading the blind. It's hard to find a camera any more that you can just shoot pics through the view finder instead of using the flip out screen.

I have a Canon powershot A560, (probably obsolete by now)

it is a bit bulky but real easy to use, my son has a Canon powershot as well it looks about the same but has more features and better quality, (I can't tell the difference)..

regular batteries is a great feature, my last camera worked fine, but I couldn't get a replacement battery, (Pentex)

I like the SD card feature as well, I have only filled it once.. and my printer/all in one has several slots and once you insert it, the computer does the rest.. (real simple)

I've used my brothers' Rebel.. nice camera, it is real lightweight, easy to use, but still a bit to bulky for everyday...

I have a canon elph for my shirtpocket that is tough and freeze proof. I have an underwater case for it that has come in handy as well.
I also have a Pentax DSLR that I love. The pentax is nice as the stabilization feature is built into the camera rather than the lenses, so even a knockoff lens will shoot a nice pic. As well it has better dust seals than the canon or nikon (important for me).
I also now have a camera phone that is uber-handy when all else fails.

As I said in an earlier post that I would report back on the new camera I got.. Nikon Coolpix L120.
So far I don't like it. Its easy to use, but the image quality isn't there in my opinion. If you want to take action shots, its not gonna happen with this camera. I found there is very little for image stabilization. You have to be very still to be able to take a clear picture. I have yet to take a perfectly clear picture with it. I don't care for the fixed LCD viewer. My old Canon had the articulating LCD screen and I could flip the screen into the camera to save it from scratching. I've had this Nikon camera for a week and already have scuff marks on the screen. I like to wear the camera around my neck so therefore the screen will rub against my shirt or coat which in turn rubs against buttons, snaps and zippers. I don't like the idea of having to pack around the camera case just to protect it. I like having the camera handy rather than having to get it out of the case every time I need to use it.... by that time the "Kodak moment" is long gone.
The macro setting is pretty good, but all in all the camera doesn't do what I'd like it to. I think it would be a good beginner camera for someone stepping up from a compact point and shoot just for the ease of use.
I think I'm gonna go back to Canon even though my old one only lasted not quite 4 years.

that is a bummer JB!! When I got my last camera I got it at Walmart even tho some online places were cheaper. At Walmart you can use a camera for a month and return it no questions asked! I tried the Canon you got and my Sony. Was going to try a Panasonic but got tired of test photoing. :wink:

Latest posts