• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Can a horse be good under saddle and good in harness?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

can't blame me!~ DJL started it :) That's my story and I'm sticken to it! This was one of the driftiest threads ever :)

I use the horses near everyday; I think I will find a buggy maker and get one made. Its allways fun to try something new. As a kid I sure liked it.

Curly, You will have alot of fun with your new adventure! Just make sure you have someone teach you how to put your harness on properly and everyone will have fun!

Judith said:
Curly, You will have alot of fun with your new adventure! Just make sure you have someone teach you how to put your harness on properly and everyone will have fun!

Yea that's the plan. I found a trainer not too far from here, in Deer Lodge, Montana (The Fraser School of Driving). I emailed him today about getting together for some lessons/advice.
Sometimes us horseman think we know it all so it isn't easy to go to others for this type of stuff; but in this case I think its best. I want to get the most of it so learning from someone who specializes in driving will be great.

Here is a Morgan Mare that is a multi titled halter mare. She won the high point championship for NY and Penn-Ohio as a yearling over aged mares. She's had harness training and loves to lope in harness (great conditioning). This mare does have Withers, even as such a proven show horse she loves to chase cattle.
WorkingCows006.jpg

WorkingCows013.jpg

WorkingCows004.jpg

WorkingCows003.jpg

WorkingCows005.jpg

http://www.skyloftmorgans.com

Having grown up training Morgans- I couldn't resist. I totally agree that a hard mouthed horses is 'made' by the rider/ driver. They are not born that way- we as handlers make them what they are. So no, harness training will not make them hard mouthed. All our horses are started in harness or at least learn to ground drive before we ever back them. They learn voice commands, the feel of the lines along their sides and around their hocks, etc. Long lining is excellent for tuning up even seasoned horses. Most advanced dressage horses are taught hi level movements with long lining first. Either way- harness or saddle horses should learn how to bend, flex and move off the rider/ drivers aids. Even ranch horses can benefit from dressage work- the better they can bend and give, the faster and more balanced they will be when they turn after a cow. Just an opinion...

I think that there are many horses that can excel in both riding and driving, and then there are some as well that will just take to one or the other more favorably. One of our Morgans that we sold went on to be a versitility champion under saddle in western, jumping, sidesaddle, hunt seat, dressage AND was retired at Walnut Hill Driving Competition (very prestigious carriage show) as a multiple harness champion! I do however think that the more you can do with your horses- the better animal they become. After all- way back they needed a do all horse that took the family to church in the buggy on Sunday and that could also go bring in livestock during the week.

Even our 'prissy' :eek: show horses here get down and dirty. Our halter / show champions are expected to be harness broke, trail rideable, not spooky, and they have all seemed to really take to working the cows at the farm with much enjoyment. Keeps them from getting bored!

So cheers to the Morgan enthusiats- although I love ALL good horses! The above mare is Skyloft Seduction and 5th generation of our breeding program...

www.skyloftmorgans.com

Call me a thread hog if you want I don't care.
I have ridden a lot and driven a little and I think it only improves a horse the more you do with them if it's done right . That being said I have yet to see one of my mothers reg. Morgans not have withers and they are just as cowy as any other horse. I think every breed has lemons, I've ridden some QH that you would be ashamed of , matter of fact I have one here to be started that is bred up the wazoo that is a comformational wreck. I am going to take pics of my hubbies morgan gelding and start a new thread for this. You'll appreciate that won't you Curly :) :)

Heel Fly said:
Call me a thread hog if you want I don't care.
I have ridden a lot and driven a little and I think it only improves a horse the more you do with them if it's done right . That being said I have yet to see one of my mothers reg. Morgans not have withers and they are just as cowy as any other horse. I think every breed has lemons, I've ridden some QH that you would be ashamed of , matter of fact I have one here to be started that is bred up the wazoo that is a comformational wreck. I am going to take pics of my hubbies morgan gelding and start a new thread for this. You'll appreciate that won't you Curly :) :)

I dont mind heel fly-- I got what I needed. Besides, you are from Montana, you can do no wrong as far as Im concerned. :)

By the way-- that guy emailed me back and he is going to set me up with some training and a buggy!!

Curly , That is great it wont take you very long to get the hang of driving :)

Ben, She's gorgeous! Can we see more of your babies!

Latest posts