• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Can Am Side by sides

Help Support Ranchers.net:

My son thinks they are the best.

The head mechanic at the one New Holland branch bought one and they sell Arctic Cat. I question him on this and he said they are just a better machine. :D

Why would you need one when you have the Xterra?

Can-Am are top rated with the off road/trail riding club's west of here. but I'm with BMR, why would you need one with a smaller SUV around? side by sides are expensive to buy AND maintain and no cab or heat :wink: but a lot of fun though

Big Muddy rancher said:
My son thinks they are the best.

The head mechanic at the one New Holland branch bought one and they sell Arctic Cat. I question him on this and he said they are just a better machine. :D

Why would you need one when you have the Xterra?

Couple of answers to that: "a boy and his toys." :p
Or this one, "we are spending our children's inheritance." :p :wink:
Or, We could take it when we go camping in the mountains (once in how many years), or when we go to Arizona (never have done that yet :p ) or here on the ranch. I think I've about covered the reasons why... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, and don't forget they are fun. :wink:

Why do we need one when we have the Xterra? That was my question.......if we got one, we would sell our 4 wheelers. I can't ride mine anyway because I have carpel tunnel in both hands and pinched nerve in both elbows. So I can't go very far and my hands go numb and I have to stop and drop them down. That's not much fun. They advised surgery, but I'm getting along okay with a little exercise I do, but when I ride the 4 wheeler my hands just can't take it.

Speaking of the Xterra, it's great! With one little problem, it leaks dust like the Scout, :shock: only the Scout is a 77 model and the Xterra is a 2002. Do you have any inside info on solving that, BMR. Other than finding another used Xterra? We are going to see about replacing the rubber gaskets around the doors. I mean, this is terrible. There is brown dust on the headliner even.

I tell Mr. FH, sell things that depreciate and buy things that appreciate. :D

So far, this Can Am thing is just in the talking stage. I thought I might find some negative information here and that would put a stop to it. :p

Thanks for the replies.

My son still has 2 Rangers ( 2010 & 2012 ) and he loves them - - - but I still have my 1996 extended cab S10 4X4 and you can buy others like it for under $3,000 not $14,00 for a Ranger.

I still drive it every day and it will go anywhere the Rangers will go - - - I can haul more and have a good heater ( until 3 years ago it had a good air conditioner ) and my grand kids are much safer in the jump seats.

But I do have insurance bills once a year ( PL & PD only ) and license plates that he does not have.

George said:
My son still has 2 Rangers ( 2010 & 2012 ) and he loves them - - - but I still have my 1996 extended cab S10 4X4 and you can buy others like it for under $3,000 not $14,00 for a Ranger.

I still drive it every day and it will go anywhere the Rangers will go - - - I can haul more and have a good heater ( until 3 years ago it had a good air conditioner ) and my grand kids are much safer in the jump seats.

But I do have insurance bills once a year ( PL & PD only ) and license plates that he does not have.

Not taking anything away from how handy your S10 is for you George, but I'll bet you a dollar you couldn't follow my Ranger very far where I need to go around here :)

Silver said:
George said:

Not taking anything away from how handy your S10 is for you George, but I'll bet you a dollar you couldn't follow my Ranger very far where I need to go around here :)

You sound like my son - - - Then we went thru the test - - - Just make sure you don't mind a few scratches - - - the S10 is not much wider and with the tires I have on it is amassing where it will go. My grandson calls it my magic truck as we go thru the creek and up and down the hills.

My S10 has a limited slip differential in the rear so when in 4 wheel drive I have 3 tires pulling - - - the ranger does not have this!

George said:
Silver said:
George said:

You sound like my son - - - Then we went thru the test - - - Just make sure you don't mind a few scratches - - - the S10 is not much wider and with the tires I have on it is amassing where it will go. My grandson calls it my magic truck as we go thru the creek and up and down the hills.

My S10 has a limited slip differential in the rear so when in 4 wheel drive I have 3 tires pulling - - - the ranger does not have this!

Rangers can have all four wheels pulling, in the proper setting.

Soapweed said:
George said:
Silver said:

Rangers can have all four wheels pulling, in the proper setting.

Yes!! I was a Yamaha fan until my dad bought a ranger. I thought the new Yamaha Viking was going to be better. All they did was made the rhino taller longer and wider. Rangers i believe are the best, but soap has been saying this for a while. I know it's hard to justify if your just looking at the price. But I have a little Toyota similar to your s10 and the ranger is by far faster more efficient way to do things. Also I bet the ranger can haul more than a small pickup. The bed isn't as big but weight wise more.

One of the nicest options of the Ranger that I have found is the bench seats... Most the other makes I looked at all had bucket seats.... With the bench seats- I can load 2 or 3 of the grandkids in the front with me and tour them around the pastures/fields...

I'm disappointed about your review on the new Viking. I have a Honda big red that I'm not particularly thrilled with that I was thinking about trading for a Viking. My big red is so noisy and rough riding, probably will last forever like most Hondas but not much fun to drive. I really like the ride and quietness of the Ranger but their durability I'm not so sure about.

Big Swede said:
I'm disappointed about your review on the new Viking. I have a Honda big red that I'm not particularly thrilled with that I was thinking about trading for a Viking. My big red is so noisy and rough riding, probably will last forever like most Hondas but not much fun to drive. I really like the ride and quietness of the Ranger but their durability I'm not so sure about.

Yes the durability was my concern as well. We used to run Polaris four wheelers when they first came out with the automatic and for about ten years there after. The last couple we had were not good machines. The Viking has the same engine the rhino has. One of the worst things about the rhino or new Viking is the rear end is not limited slip or one wheel drive ever basicly. Both back tires turn all the time. When having a tank full of spray in the back a person can hardly turn the dang thing on hard ground. Also the ranger is better riding and a ton quieter than the Yamaha side by sides. Dad just traded for a 900 ranger and he got a cab on it and they have a heater option that plums into your coolant like a vehicle. Pretty sweet but good god it was expensive. That's the one thing about the Viking. They improved it over the rhino but it's the same price as the rhino is.

The only down side I can see with the Can-Am is that the box isn't as large as the Ranger's.

The Outlander we just got holds 3 1/2 quarts of oil. Considerably more than a Polaris, and I would imagine the Commander side X side would take at least that.

If I buy one it would be a Ranger a Ford Ranger that is its 12 to 15 miles from home to work/cows and fuel economy would be my reasoning My land is fairly smooth and dry enough I can drive a pickup most anywhere and if not I just find a different route.

George said:
Silver said:
George said:

Ya, but I'm guessing you're short on 'skeg in your area.

Also, if the hind end of that ranger isn't posi then something must be wrong with it? I've not seen a Ranger that both real wheel weren't full time.

Oldtimer said:
One of the nicest options of the Ranger that I have found is the bench seats... Most the other makes I looked at all had bucket seats.... With the bench seats- I can load 2 or 3 of the grandkids in the front with me and tour them around the pastures/fields...

The biggest single reason I got the Ranger was for the bench seat. Wife and kids ride comfortably. Getting in and out of the Ranger is just like getting out of a golf cart, it couldn't be easier. At calving time it's a breeze to drive up beside a running calf and have whoever is riding shotgun just grab it and step out.
All in all they are extremely handy, and hard to imagine having to live without one now.

Silver said:
Oldtimer said:

The biggest single reason I got the Ranger was for the bench seat. Wife and kids ride comfortably. Getting in and out of the Ranger is just like getting out of a golf cart, it couldn't be easier. At calving time it's a breeze to drive up beside a running calf and have whoever is riding shotgun just grab it and step out.
All in all they are extremely handy, and hard to imagine having to live without one now.

I just bought a Ranger 900. The bench seat was a must for me. The Ranger has a higher load capacity. The engine is under the box on the 900 making it the quietest side by side I have been around and the suspension is greasable to make it last more durable.

The dealer I bought mine from also sells Honda and Yamaha. Over 90% are Rangers. The Honda has a problem with the air intake and sucks up a lot of dirt into the air filter. He keeps a couple of engines in stock for the Honda because of that. He recommends Rangers for ranch use but not Polaris ATV's. The Can-Am looks to me like a high powered play toy compared to a Ranger.

Cedarcreek said:
Silver said:
Oldtimer said:

I just bought a Ranger 900. The bench seat was a must for me. The Ranger has a higher load capacity. The engine is under the box on the 900 making it the quietest side by side I have been around and the suspension is greasable to make it last more durable.

The dealer I bought mine from also sells Honda and Yamaha. Over 90% are Rangers. The Honda has a problem with the air intake and sucks up a lot of dirt into the air filter. He keeps a couple of engines in stock for the Honda because of that. He recommends Rangers for ranch use but not Polaris ATV's. The Can-Am looks to me like a high powered play toy compared to a Ranger.

Glad to know about the bench seat, that's the only way we would want one. We haven't actually looked at the Can-Am but when I looked online, that was my thought, "it looks like a toy." One thing about the Ranger that we didn't like was the one we have ridden in has the exhaust under the seat making it really warm. Ok in winter, but not so nice in summer. Has anyone else noticed this?

Latest posts