• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Can Am Side by sides

Help Support Ranchers.net:

flyingS said:
The Ranger's are handy for sure. The newer ones seem to be built much better. The first one I used was probably a 2001 or 2002, it was a lemon. If you don't need to haul much and you like to giggle you should look at a Razr. One of the guys I work for has one, every time I get into it I want to drive out in a field and start spinning cookies. There used to be a car commercial with an older man and woman driving a car like crazy. The come to a stop and the woman says "Leland what on earth are you doing?" Leland replies "I don't know, but I like it." That's how that Razr makes me feel. It is a lot of fun to drive and tops out at 70mph, I think. They are super snappy.

That's all Mr. FH needs..........a Razr to spin cookies. :shock:

Thanks for the warning. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Faster horses said:
flyingS said:
The Ranger's are handy for sure. The newer ones seem to be built much better. The first one I used was probably a 2001 or 2002, it was a lemon. If you don't need to haul much and you like to giggle you should look at a Razr. One of the guys I work for has one, every time I get into it I want to drive out in a field and start spinning cookies. There used to be a car commercial with an older man and woman driving a car like crazy. The come to a stop and the woman says "Leland what on earth are you doing?" Leland replies "I don't know, but I like it." That's how that Razr makes me feel. It is a lot of fun to drive and tops out at 70mph, I think. They are super snappy.

That's all Mr. FH needs..........a Razr to spin cookies. :shock:

Thanks for the warning. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doughnuts in this part of the world.....

Well after 8 years and 3 rangers my son felt that John Deere finally came up with something better.

I waited a couple of months before posting to see how it would turn out.

The last Ranger was an 800 and I feel it was about a 2010 or 2011 and he traded it for a 2014 825 Gator - - - the main reason for the trade is my 6 year old grand daughter. Doors, power steering, more adjustment to the seat.

The gator is not quite as fast but will still go 45 MPH easily, hauls 1,000# and is Very Quiet!

Not to mention it was $2,000 cheaper and has brush guards all around.

Gatorfront_zpsd934e78f.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

Gatorrear_zps22c303dc.jpg
[/url][/img]

Really getting to be a lot of those around our community... A couple of neighbors have them-- and every trip to town you see a half dozen or so running around town or sitting in front of the coffee shots ... Lot of retired senior citizen geezers driving them around... Radios, stereo's wipers, heaters- almost loaded with everything... Some have full enclosed cabs and drive them all winter....
Since we have a big John Deere dealership- they outnumber the Rangers (dealership 150 miles away)... Sure haven't heard anything bad about the Gators but will probably stick with the ranger since its easier to load in a stock trailer...

I have a gator 825i with a bench seat and it will run 45 mph with a 50 horse gas engine. I've never been that fast but it will really go, much faster than my old gator 6 wheel. I got the deluxe cab but didn't get the glass doors as I thought I could find some canvas or plastic doors similar to Polaris and they would break the cold wind and be much cheaper. So far I've not been able to find any doors like that. If anyone knows of a source I'd be interested. Going down a gravel road it is dirty but not so bad if you open the glass windshield a notch. I would say it was some noisy. I like it a lot but it has some drawbacks. One is that I got extra headlights on top of the cab and they are great for looking for baby calves but it won't fit in my stock trailer. It will go anywhere unless you high center it in snow. The most popular around here are the Rangers and Gators, probably because of good dealers for both.

Faster horses said:
And it looks good too!!! :D

My grand daughter loves the "racing wheels" - - - I love the quiet and the smoothness of handling.

My nephew claims he had the ranger up to 70 MPH going from farm to farm - - - I don't know if it was really that fast but that helped make the decision to trade as the claimed top speed is 45 MPH and that is plenty fast enough!

A ranger has sure been handy around here for the last 3+ years. Mine is 3 steps from the house and when I go out I usually just take it where I'm going. If not I end up walking back to get it!! For checking stock, salting, fencing and even towing behind farm equipment they are hard to beat. And also for spending time with your spouse, grandkids, etc. It loads in the stock trailer and we often take it along with 2 saddle horses to do cow work. My wife doesn't ride a horse any more to herd cattle but enjoys using the ranger. Sometimes I ride with her leading my pony until we get to the far end of the field. That way my pony is warmed up and I get to visit. It cuts down stress and adds enjoyment to our lives.

One of the guys I work for bought a new 2012 model Ranger. He traded it off because it was junk. He had used the crap out of it but had literally thousands of dollars in repairs in it, some being major frame work. He tried to trade for a Yamaha and could not find anyone who would give him anything for his Polaris that wasn't a Polaris dealer. He likes his 900 Ranger much better but still doesn't know if will hold up any better than the other one. The neighbor that Lazy WP was talking about used that Ranger for one year and got rid of it because it would not hold up. It was a 6 wheeler, they got a 4 wheel Ranger to try. I'm not sure that I couldn't take the doors of my Ford Ranger and get along just as well as I could with a side by side. I would agree with FH, a side by side isn't near as heavy, but it also doesn't have the pay load and there is quite a difference in price. As far as where you can go, my experience is that if I can't get there with a pickup I shouldn't have been there in the first place. I couldn't every justify the expense of a side by side for what I can buy a small pickup for. The one thing I don't like about the side by sides I have driven is getting in and out of them, I am pretty tall with a long torso, I don't like gettin in them.

Happytrails91 said:
A ranger has sure been handy around here for the last 3+ years. Mine is 3 steps from the house and when I go out I usually just take it where I'm going. If not I end up walking back to get it!! For checking stock, salting, fencing and even towing behind farm equipment they are hard to beat. And also for spending time with your spouse, grandkids, etc. It loads in the stock trailer and we often take it along with 2 saddle horses to do cow work. My wife doesn't ride a horse any more to herd cattle but enjoys using the ranger. Sometimes I ride with her leading my pony until we get to the far end of the field. That way my pony is warmed up and I get to visit. It cuts down stress and adds enjoyment to our lives.

We use our Rangers in much the same way that you do. They are great machines that have a way of making ranching more fun. They are very efficient in saving time, labor, and hassle. We would hate to go back to life without them.

Based on the advice we got here, we bought the one I found in Rock Springs, Wy last spring. It is a 2009 700 that has been upgraded to an 800. We find we use it a lot. It's been good so far and we are very satisfied. We couldn't justify buying a new one because we won't use it in the winter time. This one was $6000 and our nephew brought it to Buffalo, Wy for us to pick up. Mr. FH has found many uses for the winch. The only thing we added was a half windshield. It came with new tires.

screen grab

Latest posts