• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canada changes import regulations for U.S.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Effective immediately, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has expanded access under its import regulations to allow for a range of U.S. commodities that have been prohibited since a case of BSE was detected in Washington State in December 2003. This is an important step towards the harmonized North American import standard for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) recently agreed upon by officials from Canada, Mexico and the United States (U.S.). The proposed regulations were posted for comment in Canada Gazette, Part 1, on January 30th and will be posted to Canada Gazette, Part II, on March 31st.

These new regulations demonstrate how Canadian import restrictions have been reviewed and updated to better reflect international import standards related to BSE, as well as to advance North American harmonization. Under the new import regulations, some of the commodities now allowed include feeder cattle less than 30 months of age and goats and sheep less than 12 months of age for feeding or immediate slaughter, and bulls destined for animal semen production centres. Bone-in sheep and goat meat from animals under 12 months of age will also now be permitted.

With respect to fertilizers and animal foods, the regulations have been broadened somewhat to prohibit the importation of these products if they contain ingredients derived from any ruminant animals. This is consistent with OIE guidelines.

Canada is not stopping there. CFIA is also developing a broader international import policy that will apply to imports from all countries. It will further illustrate Canada's commitment to updating Canada's import requirements based on the new North American standard and OIE guidelines, both of which are consistent with recognized scientific evidence related to BSE. The CFIA will be providing more information related to this new import policy in the coming weeks.

R-CALF wrote in their comments to the USDA on the final ruling that:

Under no circumstances should the United States accept any cattle, beef or beef products, from countries that do not maintain identical or more stringent safeguard measures that is presently required or presently proposed in the United States which measures have been enforced for at least as long as the United States.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander so I think they should also have to have a RFID tag in the ear that can be traced back to the ranch it was born on. Canada should not be accepting cattle, beef or beef product from a country that does not have the same or more stringent rules in place as we have in Canada.

This does not really impress me. If we are not allowed to trade into the US then why the hell should US cattle be allowed into Canada especially feeder cattle when we have NOT GOT ENOUGHT KILL SPACE. I am fuming over this . If it wasnt for R-sin then we would be back to close to normal trade again. Leo McDonell, your a F@@@## IDIOT

Tam said:
R-CALF wrote in their comments to the USDA on the final ruling that:

Under no circumstances should the United States accept any cattle, beef or beef products, from countries that do not maintain identical or more stringent safeguard measures that is presently required or presently proposed in the United States which measures have been enforced for at least as long as the United States.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander so I think they should also have to have a RFID tag in the ear that can be traced back to the ranch it was born on. Canada should not be accepting cattle, beef or beef product from a country that does not have the same or more stringent rules in place as we have in Canada.

Want to bet a drink on it Tam? Canadian government doesn't have the backbone.... If the packers and the packer owned Canadian feedlots want US cattle they are not going to let CFIA or CCA or Ottawa put any restrictions in place to hinder that.....Remember who runs your industry...

And you guys don't even have an R-CALF to go to bat for the producers :wink:

OT-
After we get a few bankrupt ranchers then they can head up a group called C-AIAPR (Canadians Against Ignorant American Protectionist Ranchers).

Manitoba_Rancher said:
This does not really impress me. If we are not allowed to trade into the US then why the hell should US cattle be allowed into Canada especially feeder cattle when we have NOT GOT ENOUGHT KILL SPACE. I am fuming over this .

Cool your jets M-R just step back and look at what this sets up. Right now will any American cattle sell North at the prices offered here? No! So status quo is ok for now.

Next step, this opens the way for us to control the kill and feeding industry in North America. Once all these proposed plants open we will be activly looking for cattle to fill them. Then we will be able to offer 10 cents less for American cattle because they have to be hauled farther etc.

At that point BSE testing on all foriegn cattle might be implimented to assure they are free of BSE as the Canadian herd will be proven by then.

I think there would be nothing funnier than R-calfers having to call Canadian feeders and or packers looking for buyers for their calves.

Hat said:
Jason said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:
This does not really impress me. If we are not allowed to trade into the US then why the hell should US cattle be allowed into Canada especially feeder cattle when we have NOT GOT ENOUGHT KILL SPACE. I am fuming over this .

I think there would be nothing funnier than R-calfers having to call Canadian feeders and or packers looking for buyers for their calves.

You guys are living in a dream world if you think this will happen. You don't have the feed, you don't have the slaughter capacity, you don't have the cattle, FUEL PRICES. The way I see it, if the packing plants are going to move any direction it will be south, bring the packing plant to the workforce, not the workforce to the packing plant.

What color is the sky in your world? We WILL have the slaughter capacity, fuel prices are just as high in the states as it is here, AND we do have the feed! It's called barley. Can you say barley??? Barley fed beef is way better than corn fed, and believe you me, there's lots of feed barley around. And if feedlots are unable to buy barley, there's lots of other feed grains around. Go put your head back in the sand and stay there awhile. You're starting to get annoying already!

OT: you said, "And you guys don't even have an R-CALF to go to bat for the producers "

That's very true. I am very impressed with the ability of R-Calf to stand up for the ordinary rancher. It's only too bad that they have to use slander and misprepresentation as an offense.

R-Calfs success has inspired me to start a new organization in Canada call R-OIL.

Hat, do you know what country is the 2nd for land mass in the World, not to mention water, not irrigated, with a low population density? Do these things have anything to with the amount you're able to grow.

does the US grow enough for the cattle it has within it's border? Or do they import grain from canada to feed them?

Murgen said:
Hat, do you know what country is the 2nd for land mass in the World, not to mention water, not irrigated, with a low population density? Do these things have anything to with the amount you're able to grow.

does the US grow enough for the cattle it has within it's border? Or do they import grain from canada to feed them?

What's the elevator at Whitehorse paying for grain these days?

Sandhusker, there is ranches north of White horse, Yukon.

The land is cheap, weather in Whitehorse is pretty decent, and the crops they can grow in 75 days of 24 hours of sunlight would amaze you, and it is all cattle feed. Such as Alfalfa, timothy and brome grass. There is also large grass valleys of cheap land, and lots of it. I know of 15 ranches up there that have between 500 and 1500 head each. So before you go off spouting about what we can and can't do in Canada, educate your self, cause you just prove to everyone how much of and idoit otherwise.

Have a good day, and keep on dreaming that you are the best, cause we want you to think that...it makes it easier to kick your butt on the export market around the world.

It would take you YEARS to get enough slaughter capacity to displace the US, you will NEVER be able to grow enough feed both Canuck and US cattle. Anyone who believes the packing plants will leave the US midwest and move to Canada is a complete and utter moron

We've been feeding American cattle for years in Canadian feedlots. Why do you think all the oldtimers are so upset about ana and bluetongue restrictions. Let me give you a clue, its because it stops them from sending more feeders to Canada. All those plants down there were built in the early eighties so Americans could import beef to the US for processing. How can you possibly think that those old outdated plants are going to compete with the shiny automated plants we'll have in Canada. Wake up and smell the coffee Puppet-boy. It's obvious you haven't been around long enough to know much about anything, let alone how the cattle market works.

Hat who would have thought that Oklahoma would have so many hog barns.Why did cattle feeding move out of Iowa?
If you are so much bigger why do they complain about all the Canadian Hogs?
What impact do our measly few cattle do to impact your market?
Answer a few questions honestly and look up the answers if you need to and you will be a little wiser.

Latest posts