• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian beef groups create a new alliance

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PORKER

Reaction score
Anti-establishment
Frustrated Canadian beef groups create a new alliance outside the industry's mainstream

(MEATPOULTRY.com, January 28, 2008)
by Steve Bjerklie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frustrated by previous attempts to lift the Canadian beef industry from its post-BSE doldrums, including those made by the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, a consortium of five producer groups has banded together to forge a new path back to profitability.

At the suggestion of Alberta's provincial government, representatives from the Alberta Cattle Feeders Association, the Beef Initiative Group (BIG), the Western Stock Growers Association, the Provincial Feeders Association of Alberta and the Alberta Beef Producers met in early in January with provincial officials to discuss ways to address the Canadian cattle industry's economic problems.

Already, however, there has been disagreement: in November, all of the organizations except the Alberta Cattle Producers endorsed several new strategies. According to Randy Kaiser, vice president of BIG, "the government saw the light and realized they had really dropped the ball on BSE and after. They want to hear some new ideas." But, he added, the same isn't true of the industry's mainstream: "The Alberta Beef Producers and the CCA, they've become a distorted kind of lobby group. Producers are disgruntled and don't want much to do with them anymore."

Over the past five years the Canadian beef industry has been hit hard twice, first by BSE, which was first found in Canada in Alberta in May 2003 and which resulted in the loss of dozens of key export markets, and second by the devaluation of the U.S. dollar compared to the Canadian dollar, which has encouraged Canadian producers to send their cattle south of the border and has made Canadian export beef more expensive abroad than competitive U.S. beef. Moreover, the BSE problem hasn't ever really gone away after the initial discovery: to date, 11 BSE-infected bovines have been discovered in Canada, the most recent announced last December. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said in December that it expects to continue to find more BSE-infected animalsover the next 10 years "as Canada progresses towards its goal of eliminating the disease from the national cattle herd."

Kaiser, who runs a 200-head cattle operation focused on the Welsh Black and Galloway breeds and who heads the Natural Celtic Beef Alliance, told MEAT & POULTRY that "the main thrust" of the five-member consortium's approach will be to rebuild the value-chain. To do that, it wants to establish a new brokerage to grow Canada's beef trade with non-NAFTA member nations. The plan, said Kaiser, involves custom-slaughtering Canadian cattle at Canadian plants, then exporting the beef overseas, possibly under a special brand such as "Canada Gold." "The main goal is to reduce our dependency on the American market," he said. "We've already talked to Cargill and Tyson in Alberta about it, and they're very interested. Of course, they have an interest in keeping Canadian cattle in Canada to keep their capacities up at their plants" in High River and Lethbridge, Alb., respectively. All the cattle the consortium produces will be age-verified and will have to meet certain quality specifications.
Last November's agreement proposes a producer-owned brokerage corporation to allow producers and feeders to maintain ownership of their livestock all the way through to the point of sale as beef. The aligned groups want to become full participating parts of the value-added chain and to create and support partnerships with feedlots. The agreement states that inclusion in the value-added market is essential to the future of Canada's beef industry: "We must be allowed to cease selling cattle on the hoof at a discount and become marketers of beef."

The five aligned organizations also want to reconstitute the Canada Beef Export Federation (CBEF) and the Beef Information Centre. The agreement from last November states: "CBEF has been hamstrung by both industry leadership and packer domination for too long. Current Canadian major packers obviously favor the north-south trade."

"We're in this as a business. This isn't about being protectionist," Kaiser told M&P, adding, "If we'd been more proactive on BSE a few years ago, we could have put ourselves in a much better position than we're in now. That's why we've got to do something now before it gets even later."

"The Alberta Beef Producers and the CCA, they've become a distorted kind of lobby group. Producers are disgruntled and don't want much to do with them anymore."

Boy if that isn't an understatement from the Canadian neighbors I've gota chance to talk to (and tip a toddy with on occasions :wink: )......

They've pretty well realized that 5+ years of the same-o same-o BS multinational corporate packer backed rhetoric from some of these old "industry leadership" fogies doesn't cut it- and that these folks are not out to benefit either the US or Canadian cattleman- and that its time to move on to some new ways of thinking.....Kind of the way most the local folks have came to realize that the NCBA is not out to promote or help the family farmer/rancher and have only the Corporate world/Big vertically integrated (packer owned) producer as their interests....

I only hope Randy, Cam and the boys that are progressive enough to see this are able to work out some agreements and common stances with the progressive US cattle and marketing groups in the US, like R-CALF, OCM, and USCA...

This story sounded so familiar I had to check my files. Sounds a lot like a repeat of this 07 article.

http://www.westernwheel.com/071024/news-ag%20minister.htm

(I know nothing of this site, just found it doing a search one day!)

Just a bit further along with negotiations fedup. And gathering support from the amazing number of Canadian ranchers fed up with the current leadership.

Now we have to deal with a provincial election to be called in the next week or so.

As one of our members always says. Kaiser Rome wasn't built in a day - but we weren't on that job either.

A lot has happened since the November trip to Japan by our minister. This train is not going to be stopped that easily now. In fact Cam and I joke around lately about how easy it is now that there are others pulling the cart.

One of the most amazing steps for me was the interest shown by the packers to look at our proposal.

Once again proving that business can move faster than BS political groups like ABP/CCA or maybe your NCBA. They admit that they kicked our ass for their shareholders, but are also willing to look at the future as long as it is in the best interests of their shareholders once again.

Is ABP/CCA able to admit anything. **** no. All the money they wasted on lobbying the American feds was spent as well as Rcalf's money spent on the border. Wasteful and useless.

Any word from ABP/CCA that they chose the wrong path by sucking up to Uncle Sam. Hell no. In fact the NCBA convention will have a group of them spending more of our money buying drinks for their NCBA buddies.

Did they listen to the Ag Minister when he says that the Japanese told him we would have been doing a lot more than the .7 percent of Japanese beef imports that we did in 2006 had we chosen to invite them over to find a solution and employed BSE testing when this crisis began. Hell no. In fact they pumped their policy paper on BSE to his office again the other day - even though they know the ag minister and his staff, and the majority of producers in this country, want to embrace market access testing.

A distorted lobby group that needs to be held accountable. If this thing fails due to ABP/CCA arrogance or political games, I will never stop until ABP is cut off at the legs by redirecting or taking away the checkoff.

Did they listen to the Ag Minister when he says that the Japanese told him we would have been doing a lot more than the .7 percent of Japanese beef imports that we did in 2006 had we chosen to invite them over to find a solution and employed BSE testing when this crisis began.

Hell no. ( You Got That Right)

In fact they pumped their policy paper on BSE to his office again the other day - even though they know the ag minister and his staff, and the majority of producers in this country, want to embrace market access testing.

Go Get em Randy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Randy, now that your famous will you still talk to us little people? :wink: :D :D :D :D :D

Go get em! 8) But don't forget to invite the other provincial associations to get involved. I'm sure they'd get on board too.

Hardly famous Kato, and no political motives. Started as a request from our Provincial Minister of Agriculture. We have already spoken with a group called the Canadian Legacy Partners which includes producers from the Border Beef Group, Natural Valley in Saskatchewan and Natural Prairie Beef Producers in Manitoba. Between the group, they loosely claim 250,000 momma cows.

I would like to grab the mike in every auction barn in the country and announce this proposal, but we need some roots before we jump the gun.

No one will be left out Kato. I would suggest about three weeks before a formal announcement ------ besides old Kaiser and his big mouth.

How's the support for market access testing in Manitoba? MCPA having an AGM soon? I hear that Ontario and the OCA may be not only pressing but passing a resolution at their upcoming AGM. If only the deadbeats over at ABP/CC central could get their heads out of there butts.

Don't be so modest Kaiser, they love you or hate you but not to many haven't heard of you. I'm with Kato and not only that I'll put gas in your tank as you go by or drive the truck if you would like. A thought occurred to me the other day when you mentioned in some thread somewhere that you will keep at trying to remove the ABP checkoff even if you are the last outfit left. If you are the last one standing then you would be the only one paying the tax! All you would have to do then was retire.

ABP has, "as a whole", done very little for the producer's long term sustainability since BSE hit us May 20, 2003. I'd like to direct my check-off to whichever group I feel best helps me (and those that think natural beef is the way to go).

When we sold our yearlings last fall, all our steer but one, went to one feedlot. They know our animals, have bought quite a few over the years. They know that we don't use growth hormones and we only treat sick animals with antibiotics on an individual, as needed, basis. No extra vaccines, just an 8 way at branding (as calves). Yet, they topped the sale with another local ranch's animals (also treated in a similar manner).

I read somewhere on this board, an article about how Tyson Food's "natural beef" program was doing better than they anticipated. Randy, we really need to get these feedlot operators on board, and stop the use of growth hormones in Canada/Alberta. The customer doesn't want this **** in these animals, and their meat [or their milk]. Whether it is detectible or not. We have completely missed out on one of the best marketing tools available - why, because the manufacturers of these products make claims that the implants will make you an extra 20 bucks per animal. Well, maybe we could make a heck of alot more moola without the growth hormones. If everyone, in Alberta (Canada) went this way, we'd have a decisive edge on this expanding market.

Here's a little taste of the very preliminary draft plan being developed by B5 or as the folks up on agriville are calling it B41/4 since ABP is being dragged along, kicking and screaming.

Just to keep your interest up.

Don't tell anybody that I let this out. Ah **** tell everyone if you like - even though we still have no name (Canada Gold has been suggested) and the pages and pages of documents are being adjusted daily.

Bottom line is Kathy, we are leaving no stone unturned. Asia, EU, Domestic, Healthier Domestic, and of course that wonderful American consumer with all his or her monopoly money. :wink:

The Canada Gold verification process will also permit the development of Canadian industry standards to create opportunities to market additional production streams. Examples may include:

Canada Gold Verified Tender and Tasty
Canada Gold Verified Antibiotic-Free Beef production standard
Canada Gold Verified Hormone-Free Beef production standard
Canada Gold Verified Natural Beef production standard
Canada Gold Verified Organic Beef production standard

'healthy' resonates with consumers more and more and no wonder with all the food recalls and reports of problems with chinese, etc. we're facing a wonderful opportunity, imo and i have to admire the people who have persevered against the bureaucracy and established industry groups. i only hope that, as producers, we don't fall for that old umbrella group ploy and not hand over control of our product and livelihood to the packers again.

Randy, one part of the puzzle you can't leave out...your organization has to own the beef coming out of the packing plant, NOT THE PACKERS! If not, all the production efforts by producers and feeders will go into the packer's pockets.

Oh, and don't worry about competition from the USA, we have far too many mrj's that will keep the packer's pockets full...that should help you Canadians!! :)
And give me job security!!! :wink: 8)

So Randy, is this finally an admission that the billion-buck-BSE-bailout - which saw the money gushering up to the feedlots and the packers instead of trickling down to the cow-calf guys - was a disaster for producers?
Which has been my contention all along. Including the Tories' support of Tyson during the Lakeside strike. Which, as you know, turned violent and deadly.
If so, then I feel vindicated at last. Let me be the first to say, I told you so. And Shirley and the ABP squadered a whole pile of Alberta taxpayers' money.

Robert Mac. Your point is on the top of our list. Cargill and Tyson are discussing custom work with us --- to my amazement...

Neil.

Admission ---- you have to be kidding. No one is admitting to anything. That is why we are having to pull ABP along like a whining two month old poodle. Is the Ministers office admitting anything --- hell no, they may be enjoying passing the buck to ABP, who was directing the Shirley's of this world.

The new minister has asked us to come up with a plan and the plan is different. And the plan is good. And the plan includes BSE testing for market access. And the plan includes producer ownership.

Listen folks. Had those in power at the time accepted the need to unbolt from the Americans, invited Japan, and, or any other country over to tell us what we needed to do, to work with them when BSE first showed it's ugly head ---- I would likely not even be here barking. I have a very nice little business but it is based on premium pricing. If the conventional price is so low that premium barely means break even - what the hell else am I supposed to do but fight for the conventional Canadian Beef/Cattle System which ABP/CCA has held back due to their arrogance and flawed business ideas.

Hey Rk good to see a new group up and making advances. I have been away for a while down in the US delivering cattle and taking in the NWSS. Some crap went on down there at the NWSS but in reality most cattlemen in the US are reasonable and that is why the USCA is getting more members. From what most cattlemen say MCOOL is NOT going to help anything.
Personally with MCOOL coming i would like to see some new regulations on US exports to Canada . And if we are going to get that going it should be a chain of custody system where any foreign meat produce coming into Canada has to have a chain of custody paper work. So we can trace it back to ranch of origin if there is a problem. This should be applied to all imports not just retail meats. Afterall it is our country and we set the rules why not make MCOOL look like a joke. Just look at the companies importing US CAB for their resaurant trade. No reason they can't be using canadian beef

Randy, what's to stop Cargill and Tyson from stepping in after you guys have done all the work of opening markets, shutting off their services and taking over? Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't trust those guys as far as I can throw them - they've got a 100+ year history of hosing anybody for a nickel.

I can see them giving you some cock and bull story that they need the hooks so they can pinch you guys off and then they go to your customers and offer to give the same product for a penny less.

QUESTION said:
Hey Rk good to see a new group up and making advances. I have been away for a while down in the US delivering cattle and taking in the NWSS. Some crap went on down there at the NWSS but in reality most cattlemen in the US are reasonable and that is why the USCA is getting more members. From what most cattlemen say MCOOL is NOT going to help anything.
Personally with MCOOL coming i would like to see some new regulations on US exports to Canada . And if we are going to get that going it should be a chain of custody system where any foreign meat produce coming into Canada has to have a chain of custody paper work. So we can trace it back to ranch of origin if there is a problem. This should be applied to all imports not just retail meats. Afterall it is our country and we set the rules why not make MCOOL look like a joke. Just look at the companies importing US CAB for their resaurant trade. No reason they can't be using canadian beef

According to your countrymen/women, that would constitute a protectionist trade barrier because you can't put regulations on imports that do not apply to domestic product as well.

SH- we canadians can do what ever we want , other countries like the US do that so why do you think canadians should have to play by the rules if other countries do not ? After all it is to ensure saftey for the consumer, no wait it is to protect the health of the canadian cow herd, no wait it is what the consumer wants afterall i am a consumer and i want all foreign meat traceable to ranch of origin. How dare you try to tell as foreign country how it should run it's business. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Sound familiar. We can be unreasonable too :p

Latest posts