• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian Government standing behind cattle producers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SASH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Manitoba
Canada Mulls Legal Challenge to U.S. Cattle Ban

15:06 EST Wednesday, March 02, 2005

OTTAWA (Reuters) - A disappointed Canadian government pledged on Wednesday to fight the ban on the export of young cattle to the United States following a court decision in Montana that held up plans to allow the cattle shipments.

"We're looking at every alternative right now, including the legal route, and I can assure you we're going to be standing by our cattle producers," International Trade Minister Jim Peterson told CBC television.

Wednesday's federal court decision in Montana put a temporary halt to the plans by the U.S. government to allow young Canadian cattle to come across the border starting on March 7.

The United States had banned all imports of Canadian cattle in May 2003, after Canada found its first domestic case of mad cow disease.
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Why don't they actually stand behind the producers, allow testing, and take Japan and Korea away from us?
 

rkaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
:p They've been standing behind us all along. Only problem is when they hand us the vaseline jar and ask us to bend over.

Cannon fodder, just like the American Rancher.
 

SASH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Manitoba
They've been standing behind us all along. Only problem is when they hand us the vaseline jar and ask us to bend over.

I kind of posted that title in a sarcastic way. Maybe this will push them to give us some seed money to get a few producer owned plants up and running.
 

don

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
Maybe this will push them to give us some seed money to get a few producer owned plants up and running

They don't have to even do that. All they have to do is name a date when all animals will be tested and the border will magically open. Too bad our politicians don't have the balls to do it.
 

frenchie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
Location
nw manitoba
Sandhusker said:
Why don't they actually stand behind the producers, allow testing, and take Japan and Korea away from us?

How could they take them away from you, you don,t have their markets...

Btw would you buy Japans beef :?: ...You never did answer that question
 

Kato

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,679
Reaction score
0
Location
Manitoba - At the end of the road
Ya, but if we test, America has to test, and they wouldn't want that would they? :?

They might just find something they don't want to find. That's the real reason behind the reluctance to test for export in the United States. If you look you just might find. The reluctance to test for export up here comes from fear of reprisals. Pure and simple.
 

don

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
The reluctance to test for export up here comes from fear of reprisals.

yeah like they night keep the border closed or something. lol.
 

frenchie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
Location
nw manitoba
frenchie said:
Sandhusker said:
Why don't they actually stand behind the producers, allow testing, and take Japan and Korea away from us?

How could they take them away from you, you don,t have their markets...

Btw would you buy Japans beef :?: ...You never did answer that question

Sandhusker I was asking you a question..

Let me guess you don,t have an answer...how can you expect Japan to take your beef , when you won,t import theirs even though it tested safe.
 

JR

New member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
south dakota
Regarding fenchies question to sanhusker. I personally would like to try Japanese beef. Its a moot point though. There beef is very expensive and obviously short supply. Its tested why would it be risky to eat it? If they can get a small fortune for their beef why the heck would they want o export it to the average consumer? I am sure that if you are rich enough you can buy it on the coasts. After the market is fully depressed and the big boys are in the drivers seat, then, maybe we should test for export, and of course pass the cost down the food chain. JR
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
frenchie said:
Sandhusker said:
Why don't they actually stand behind the producers, allow testing, and take Japan and Korea away from us?

How could they take them away from you, you don,t have their markets...

Btw would you buy Japans beef :?: ...You never did answer that question

You are right about us not having their markets. We only have ourselves to blame for that.

I would NOT buy Japan's beef personally, and would not support buying any non-tested beef from Japan.
 

SASH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Manitoba
and of course pass the cost down the food chain. JR

I've never seen any of my costs get passed down the food chain yet. Seems like everytime the government mandates something, the cost gets passed onto the producer. As far as Kobe beef goes, I think I remember reading about an outfit somewhere in Saskatchewan or Alberta that raises Kobe beef for the Japanese market. Maybe one of the other prairie boys mught know. I'd bet you could buy it pretty cheap right now.
 

frenchie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
Location
nw manitoba
sandhusker...You are right about us not having their markets. We only have ourselves to blame for that.

hmmm you want to clarify that statement a bit more. :?:
 

elwapo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
817
Reaction score
0
Location
medicine hat
I have mixed feelings about the border not opening. It is time for us to buck up and export it all in boxes.....our economy will be better for it in the long run!
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
rkaiser said:
:p They've been standing behind us all along. Only problem is when they hand us the vaseline jar and ask us to bend over.

Cannon fodder, just like the American Rancher.

:lol: We both know neither of us can test because the AMI is against it. I've tried to point out a few times that the AMI is behind most of the problems between the US and Canada - never been a popular stance with others on this board but I remain steadfast. Most would rather crab about R-CALF, but if one steps back and takes it all in, I think it becomes apparent that R-CALF is really fighting the AMI thru the USDA. The way I see it, this whole border deal is because the USDA is so damn intent on opening the border for economic reasons (the AMI's checkbooks) that in their haste they are haunted by their original BSE policy, which was set up for health reasons. The border will open eventually, but the USDA has probably done more to drag it out themselves by getting sloppy and giving R-CALF plenty of ammunition.
 

frenchie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
Location
nw manitoba
elwapo said:
I have mixed feelings about the border not opening. It is time for us to buck up and export it all in boxes.....our economy will be better for it in the long run!


Don,t count on exporting beef to the U.S then...part of R-calfs suits was against beef of all ages.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Sandhusker said:
rkaiser said:
:p They've been standing behind us all along. Only problem is when they hand us the vaseline jar and ask us to bend over.

Cannon fodder, just like the American Rancher.

:lol: We both know neither of us can test because the AMI is against it. I've tried to point out a few times that the AMI is behind most of the problems between the US and Canada - never been a popular stance with others on this board but I remain steadfast. Most would rather crab about R-CALF, but if one steps back and takes it all in, I think it becomes apparent that R-CALF is really fighting the AMI thru the USDA. The way I see it, this whole border deal is because the USDA is so damn intent on opening the border for economic reasons (the AMI's checkbooks) that in their haste they are haunted by their original BSE policy, which was set up for health reasons. The border will open eventually, but the USDA has probably done more to drag it out themselves by getting sloppy and giving R-CALF plenty of ammunition.

Amen- Sandhusker- but the Canadians won't even question the AMI boys $400 per head profits-- Blame it all on R-CALF........Can't win a battle when you don't identify who your true enemy is.........
 

rkaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
:p Of course we can't stand being raped by your Americn cousins Oltimer, but to take this BS about BSE as being the excuse for Rcalf to kick the Canadians when their down is getting harder and harder.

Fight like a man you whimp, and call a spade a spade. Don't hide behind the veil of science when you know damn well it's all about money. :p
 

Latest posts

Top