• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian rumor??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch said:
We do that every year. :lol:

If we don't have enough to burn of our own we buy some from the neighbor so we can. :wink:

We like to burn the 150 a ton here . :lol: :wink:

If you mean as posted in this link Katrina then yes it is true .
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/09/13/ns-grass-pellets-heat.html
Farmers from across Atlantic Canada gathered in Truro, N.S., on Tuesday to learn about converting grass into fuel.

The technology is based on converting marginal grassland and unwanted hay into pellets that can be burned in wood or pellet stoves or furnaces.

Gus Swanson, a Pictou County farmer and inventor, created a furnace to burn hay pellets.

He said he came up with the idea several years ago when the price of oil went up.

"I had a farm with 400 acres of hay on it. We knew we could burn it if it's made into pellets so I thought I had it made back then but oil dropped down over the years," Swanson said, laughing.

"It's cheaper and it's on the farm in your own backyard. For farmers it would be ideal. My interest in it is, get the farmers' fields back into production and get jobs for the rural areas."

Swanson now heats a three-bedroom apartment, a two-bedroom apartment and a two-bedroom house with hay pellets for about $300 a month. He was previously spending $900 a month when he used oil to heat the properties.

I doubt there are any farmer's burning it.I went and unloaded bales at a neighbours yesterday,he had bought some last years hay for $5 for 6 by 5 foot bales,what the cattle don't eat he said he would just use the rest for bedding.He went and fed a couple while i was unloading it,and it didn't look like there was going to be much left for bedding.There is a lot of new hay in the country though,and no buyers for it.

My neighbor actually did burn about 400 bales worth of windrows this year. He was just "too busy" putting a cement foundation and floor under an old shop to get started when we had the weather. :roll: Started cutting in mid September and got 200 bales made before the snow hit us on the 22nd. I guess he has enough for the 15 cows he has left.

there is a big demand for straw, miscanthus and willow for a power plant here, at a time when both feed and bedding straw are in short supply, some pig units are using canola straw for bedding this winter.

gcreekrch said:
My neighbor actually did burn about 400 bales worth of windrows this year. He was just "too busy" putting a cement foundation and floor under an old shop to get started when we had the weather. :roll: Started cutting in mid September and got 200 bales made before the snow hit us on the 22nd. I guess he has enough for the 15 cows he has left.

Sounds like my neighbour,he doesn't like to start combining until they start playing christmas songs on the radio :roll: .2 years ago he was combining on december 22nd and it was minus 28 out.He had his straight cut header on so he could stay out of the snow.On the 23rd we had a snow storm and that was enough to shut him down until spring.

Advertisement in the local paper--

Hay for Sale- Good quality alfalfa 90 miles north of Opheim MT (which would be 84 miles north of the border)-- $30 Ton US currency.....

3words said:
gcreekrch said:

Sounds like my neighbour,he doesn't like to start combining until they start playing christmas songs on the radio :roll: .2 years ago he was combining on december 22nd and it was minus 28 out.He had his straight cut header on so he could stay out of the snow.On the 23rd we had a snow storm and that was enough to shut him down until spring.

I guess that would stop the worries of a stubble fire. :wink:

As for Katrina's original question, was there a wind blowing from the lower mainland of BC to Nebraska with the smell of thunder hay on it? :lol: :roll:

Latest posts