• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian thistle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Do any of you have any luck with the Ceutorbyncbus Litura ? Common name; is the Canada thistle stem weevil. I have a lot of canada thistle and am wondering about this mode of treatment. I do a lot of spraying but would like to try the Weevil. The thistle is in tree's and brush .Any information would be appreciated.

R-Calf said:
coyote said:
Do any of you have any luck with the Ceutorbyncbus Litura ? Common name; is the Canada thistle stem weevil. I have a lot of canada thistle and am wondering about this mode of treatment. I do a lot of spraying but would like to try the Weevil. The thistle is in tree's and brush .Any information would be appreciated.

We gotta a bunch to. I estimate we have spent over $5000 the last 5 years keeping it in check. Everyone around here fights and fights it. Just goes to show you nothing good ever comes out of Canada. One of my good friends bought the beetles a few years ago, they help a little, but they aren't going to control much of a patch. I don't remember how much they cost but I think they were kinda pricy.

If you were not such a peckerhead, I would tell you how to git rid of it.

frenchie wrote:

If you were not such a peckerhead, I would tell you how to git rid of it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, it is truly easy to get rid of - you just need to know how. Not many agrology types know this trick. Their education comes from universities. Not from the field.

We've been doing thistle cleanup for years with great success. I bet we have cleaned up miles of it. And at very little cost. I would be surprized if we have spent $800 over the past five years. Hardly any left in this region now.

I'm with frenchie. Keep spending your money. Idiot.

BC

Who said anything about pastures? You. Certainly not me.

It is natural and everyone here uses it. It is not chemical and it is not something you can bottle/package for export. Although I suppose I could send you some more thistle seed pods if you want. I'm not so sure they would be coming from Canada tho.

What is Canuckadan? I have never heard that before.

Every bent backed, leather faced, calloused hands oldtimer in this part of the country knows how to control thistle and they have certainly passed it on to the next generation.

Sigh ...

Once again you are wrong.

Just because a fancy chemical company attempts to provide a cure for your weed problem and it is expensive. You think it works. Well boy, keep spending your money. Maybe that fancy education you are getting will help you someday. Idiot

BC

Canada Thistle is a tough weed to get rid of if your soil is out of balance.

There is no cheap inexpensive sure fire way that is legal safe or environmentally sound to get rid of them.

Some pour gas or diesel on the root stalk, very dangerous and kills the soil, not economical in a large field setting.

A natural way to get rid of them is to use calcium peroxide, but it isn't cheap.

Round-up at the right stage is about the easiest way, for a crop rotation that is, pasture of course the round-up would kill the grass too. There a lontrel product would be used. I would try a soil audit and see the reason the thistle is there in the first place.

One reason thistle grows is salt. If your salt is too high a reduction in those salts will get rid of the thistle. If the soil balance is out and a high Mg to Ca ratio exists with high PH and low organic matter, the thistle is there just so something grows. The soils needs ammending.

Using a surfactant can reduce chemical need and even 1/2 litre an acre could do the trick to clean the field, but without adressing the original balance they will come back over time.

Jason

Our county weed board uses Tordon in the pastures- It is expensive but at the same time they spray leafy spurge along with the canadian thistle.We are seeing great results- just have to keep going back each year and we also GPS everything so we no from year to year where we sprayed before. I've heard there is some good results from some type of vinigar you can use for organic farming. I'm sure it is a higher consentrate than your average house hold vinegar. It is supose to be environmentaly safe. We have a mill levy on our land tax for noxious weed control so we do get a cheaper rate on our spraying than the chemical actualy costs. Like I said earlier we are going to try and get a insectery started with the weevils and see what happens. Thanks for your info.

Actually I would have to go up there to visit you. Not much chance of that. Not interested. I figure you would be to poor a host.

Who pulls thistle? Never heard of that.

What's a Canuckadan?

Boy, you got a lot to learn about the land from the sound of it.

BC

A mixture of Grazon and Remedy kills thistle and about any other brush for us and is reasonably priced.

Anonymous said:
A mixture of Grazon and Remedy kills thistle and abo ut any other brush for us and is reasonably priced.[/quote also add some surfactant.

Remedy and 2,4-D (with surfactant) works good on weeds and multiflora rose, blackberries, persimmon, etc. Good stuff.

R-Calf said:
Roundup will knock it back and not let it flower, but it will not kill it.

Shows what you know, any glysophate (round-up) will kill thistle at the bud stage in a heavy enough dose.

Some of the other chemicals mentioned will work, but are more expensive than Round-up, and more dangerous.

Its easy to say there is an easy cure, but without stating what it is, your just blowing smoke.

Jason

TORDON will clean it up and it will stay withyou for a few years if you put out plenty.

While I won't pretend to know anything about Canadian Thistle, I do know that in Western Montana we had a lot of it in a pasture. We got some bettles from the Co. Agent at that time. They came in a paper sack, with plant leaves. We rode along and threw the leaves out amongst the thistle. This thistle was so thick and tall you could not ride a horse through it. The next year it was ALL GONE!! Totally gone. The fall we put it out, you could tear apart the seed head and find the beetle there and no seeds. I don't know for sure what beetle it was, but it worked!!

We tried the same thing for knapweed, different bug, and it did not work. We tied those plants on the fence every so often. Didn't see the results with them that we did with the Canadian Thistle.

Whoops!! It wasn't Canadian Thistle, I just thought about it--the beetles were for BULL THISTLE. Sorry! Good thing I started this out as not knowing anything....well, if someone wants to know about controlling Bull Thistle, there is a way!!!

Latest posts