• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cannin Maters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr,
Hanta started using the red mulch about 10 years ago, tomatoes ripen sooner, yield way more, we have them coming out our ears. She cans them, makes salsa, spaghetti sauce, BBQ sauce, you can slice them, dice them, boil them, have a mater sandwich, give them to Jinglebob,,,,,,, they really do grow well with the red mulch. The plants look kind of sickly this year for some reason but I'm sure I can still haul JB a box or two come August. We do have zucchini already, cabbage, peas and new potatoes, mesclun salad, can't wait for the melons.

Well Grrrr-eat! I'll get some red plastic. All this rain hasn't helped the pollination. The raspberries and squash look moldy.

Faster horses said:
sw, you and Hanta Yo save some of those goodies for when we bring
the barley fed beef over for supper!!

OT, are you coming?

We should be done haying soon, so we'll be able to pick a day
that works for everyone.

I don't know if we'll ever be done haying...Stacked from 4AM til 6AM- then swathed 40 acres west of the house- started hauling bales again about 11AM- looked at the thermometer in the truck and it was already 94...Decided I'm hibernating the rest of the day in the air conditioning...

But if this 100 degree stuff stays very long with no moisture I won't have to worry about harvesting :roll:

sw said:
nr,
Hanta started using the red mulch about 10 years ago, tomatoes ripen sooner, yield way more, we have them coming out our ears. She cans them, makes salsa, spaghetti sauce, BBQ sauce, you can slice them, dice them, boil them, have a mater sandwich, give them to Jinglebob,,,,,,, they really do grow well with the red mulch.

I'd heard that helped, but didn't know whether to believe it or not......maybe I should get some and try it here! :D

I'm just hoping I still have some maters still makin when my okra starts makin. I love tomatoes n okra canned together for goulash and soups. Okra is just startin to bloom.........oh, and.....woo hoo fried okra...I can't wait.

Ranchy said:
sw said:
nr,
Hanta started using the red mulch about 10 years ago, tomatoes ripen sooner, yield way more, we have them coming out our ears. She cans them, makes salsa, spaghetti sauce, BBQ sauce, you can slice them, dice them, boil them, have a mater sandwich, give them to Jinglebob,,,,,,, they really do grow well with the red mulch.

I'd heard that helped, but didn't know whether to believe it or not......maybe I should get some and try it here! :D

Ranchy,

I'm a FIRM believer here, first couple years planted tomatoes and I was lucky to get a couple green ones in by the first frost. sw read about the red plastic mulch, I said, let's give 'er a try, been using them every year since. Also heard the red mulch works with peppers, too. Haven't tried that yet. For short growing seasons (especially) I recommend the red plastic mulch for the 'maters! We put soaker hoses where we plant the tomato plants and lay the plastic down a week or so before planting to get the soil warm (we plant our tomatoes eary and use
wall 'o waters). Make a hole in the plastic and plant the plant in it, when I need to water, just plug the hose into the soaker hose. Works great, and no weeds around your 'mater plants!

Thanks, Hanta Yo. The in-laws use the Walls of Water on their maters (when they have a garden) and are very pleased with the results. Of course, it's about 10-15* warmer down there than it is here, so that could have something to do with it.

One year, I actually did have a few maters before frost got them........I planted them in old tires, just like I did the squash (which did great in them) and a couple of other things that I can't think of at the moment. Wonder if putting the red mulch stuff on the dirt in the tires, and surrounding the maters with a wall of water would make them go berzerk? Might be worth a try....................:D

I haven't seen any of that red plastic for sale anywhere, just the black.
And we have company coming, no time for shopping around so I rooted around the house and found a red plastic bag and some red file folders, and red Christmas cardboard box, spread those under the plants. Looks kind of super tacky/junky but we'll see if those plants like the red rays until we can find the real thing. I should have left half the normal way w/o plastic for a scientific control :roll:

Here is where to find it, www.gardeners.com They have it all. Ranchy, we put tires around everything, pulls in the heat, keeps the wind off of the transplants, put the wall of waters around them till they grow out the top. We have watermelons, canteloupe, honeydews, crenshaws, things that people say you can't grow in Montana. We have been eating zhuchinni for about a month now, have watermelons that are baseball size, and the first cherry tomatoes are red. I love the real deal when it comes to veggies and fruits, not the Mexican human fertilized stuff that tastes like cardboard :roll: We also put down black plastic sheeting for the melons and stuff to grow on, don't have to weed, warms the soil, makes those plants think they are living in the South. Use the tires to hold down the plastic, let most of the vines grow out of the tires, put soaker hose around the plants so watering is easy and the wind does not blow it away. I should have Hanta put on some pictures. :roll:

sw said:
Here is where to find it, www.gardeners.com They have it all. Ranchy, we put tires around everything, pulls in the heat, keeps the wind off of the transplants, put the wall of waters around them till they grow out the top. We have watermelons, canteloupe, honeydews, crenshaws, things that people say you can't grow in Montana. We have been eating zhuchinni for about a month now, have watermelons that are baseball size, and the first cherry tomatoes are red. I love the real deal when it comes to veggies and fruits, not the Mexican human fertilized stuff that tastes like cardboard :roll: We also put down black plastic sheeting for the melons and stuff to grow on, don't have to weed, warms the soil, makes those plants think they are living in the South. Use the tires to hold down the plastic, let most of the vines grow out of the tires, put soaker hose around the plants so watering is easy and the wind does not blow it away. I should have Hanta put on some pictures. :roll:
Yeah-yuh! pls put up some pictures! might spur some of us on

Hey speakin of stuff growin....HAYMAKER how's the peach crop around there this year? I sure do wish I had me bout a bushel of em. When we are thru that way durin peach season, we usually either stop at Stonewall, or that lil market place there in town at Fredericksburg and buy peaches.....by the time we get home with em ya hafta get em cut up and canned almost immediately cuz they get mushy from the ride....but it's worth it, when ya git to eat peach cobbler, or peach icecream.....

Hanta Yo said:
Ranchy said:
sw said:
nr,

Ranchy,

I'm a FIRM believer here, first couple years planted tomatoes and I was lucky to get a couple green ones in by the first frost. sw read about the red plastic mulch, I said, let's give 'er a try, been using them every year since. Also heard the red mulch works with peppers, too. Haven't tried that yet. For short growing seasons (especially) I recommend the red plastic mulch for the 'maters! We put soaker hoses where we plant the tomato plants and lay the plastic down a week or so before planting to get the soil warm (we plant our tomatoes eary and use
wall 'o waters). Make a hole in the plastic and plant the plant in it, when I need to water, just plug the hose into the soaker hose. Works great, and no weeds around your 'mater plants!

Found the article below which talks about how different plastic colors besides red, can effect which insects come and which is most beneficial to the type veg. grown. Interesting stuff! Thank you sw for the address.
I'll send for some.
" Plastic technologiesDrip irrigation ... Use of Mulch Color in Vegetable Production
Michael D. Orzolek and William J. Lamont, Jr.
Department of Horticulture - Center for Plasticulture, The Pennsylvania State University

When purchasing polyethylene film for use in the production of vegetables in the field, there are several characteristics of the polyethylene that users must consider for specific applications. Film thickness spans the entire range from 0.015 mil to 1.5 mil; the thinner films requiring specific applicators to place the film in the field, to the thicker films which would last for 2 years or a triple cropping sequence. Opacity of the film (how much light will pass through the plastic) will govern both the amount of radiation which will heat the soil and the growth of weeds under the film. The last characteristic which growers have to decide is mulch color: black, white, silver, red, blue, brown, IRT (infrared thermal), green IRT and yellow. Each of the colors will produce specific temperature (both soil and ambient) and light modifications within the micro-environment of the raise-bed/plant canopy.

Over the last 10 years, we have conducted extensive testing of the affect of mulch color and various vegetable crops. Some generalities that can be made regarding color are: 1) silver repels aphids, 2) blue attracts thrips - has been very effective in greenhouse tomato production and 3) yellow attracts insects. There also appears to be some reduction in disease pressure with crops grown on specific colors. Based on years of field research at the Horticulture Research Farm, Rock Springs, PA, the following colors are recommended for specific crops.

Tomato - this crop appears to respond more to red mulch compared to black with an average 12% increase in marketable fruit yield over a 3 year period. There appears to be a reduction in the incidence of early blight in plants grown on red mulch compared to plants grown on black mulch. When environmental conditions for plant growth are ideal, tomato response to red mulch is minimal.

Pepper - this crop appears to respond more to silver mulch compared to black with an average 20% increase in marketable fruit yield and fruit size over a 3 year period. Lowest yield of marketable pepper were harvested from plants grown on either white or light blue mulch at this location. In more southern climates, below North Carolina, pepper response to white mulch would be entirely different. Pepper plants grown on green IRT had similar marketable fruit yields compared to plants grown on black.

Eggplant - this crop appears to respond more to red mulch compared to black with an average 12% increase in marketable fruit yield over a 2 year period. Greatest response of eggplant to red mulch observed when plants were growing under stress conditions (temperature and water). There may be a varietal response of eggplant to the use of plastic mulch.

Cantaloupe - this crop appears to respond more to green IRT or dark blue mulch compared to black with an average 35% increase in marketable fruit yield over a 3 year period. Lowest yield of marketable cantaloupe were harvested from plants grown on either white or black mulch at this location. In more southern climates, below North Carolina, cantaloupe response to white or black mulch would be entirely different.

Cucumber - this crop appears to respond more to dark blue mulch compared to black with an average 30% increase in marketable fruit yield over a 3 year period. There was a difference in yield response between an open-pollinated and hybrid variety. Lowest yield of marketable cucumber were harvested from plants grown on yellow mulch at this location. In more southern climates, below North Carolina, cucumber response to yellow mulch may be entirely different.

Summer Squash - this crop appears to respond more to dark blue mulch compared to black with an average 20% increase in marketable fruit yield over a 2 year period. Lowest yield of marketable zucchini squash was harvested from plants grown on yellow mulch at this location. In more southern climates, below North Carolina, cucumber response to yellow mulch may be entirely different.

Onion - this crop appears to respond more to several different mulch colors including red, metalized silver and black compared to no plastic mulch with an average 24% increase in marketable bulb yield over 8 varieties. There was a significant difference in yield response between specific onion varieties and mulch color. This trial evaluated red onions, but other onion types should respond similar to the red onion varieties grown in this mulch trial.

Potato - this crop appears to respond more to several different mulch colors including red, metalized silver and black compared to no plastic mulch with an average 24% increase in marketable tuber yield. While there was no significant difference in yield response between the mulch colors, potatoes grown on the metalized silver mulch can have the highest marketable tuber yields, coolest soil temperature and least number of Colorado Potato beetle adults. However, the metalized silver mulch can be difficult to lay in the field and obtain a tight fit over the raised bed. Compared to black or red plastic mulch, the metalized silver mulch in cool years may also have the lowest plant population of potatoes because of poor plant emergence. There was a significant difference in yield response between specific potato varieties and mulch color. Use of black or possibly red plastic mulch will produce the highest yield of quality potatoes.

For additional information regarding plasticulture or the Penn State Center for Plasticulture, log on to the following web sites.

http://www.plasticulture.org - American Society for Plasticulture

plasticulture.cas.psu.edu - The Penn State Center for Plasticulture

30th National Agricultural Plastics Congress - San Diego, CA - February 23-27, 2002

2/4/2000

©2003 College of Agricultural Sciences at Penn State University
Copyright Information
Penn State is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.
Content questions or comments contact: [email protected]
Website questions or comments contact: Webmaster
Last modified Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:09 PM

Yeah-yuh! pls put up some pictures! might spur some of us on

Here you go, nr:

'Maters on the red plastic, they are finally growing and coming out of whatever their problem was.

garden1.jpg

Crenshaws, canteloup and zucchini, on black plastic with soaker hoses.

garden2.jpg

Watermelon, honeydew, cukes on black plastic with soaker hoses. This year we planted some orange watermelons, will share how they turn out.

garden3.jpg

Corn, peas - other night we had new potatoes, peas, carrots in cream sauce, yummy!

garden4.jpg

Hanta!That is one huge veg garden! And in full sun! Makes my mouth water just looking. Nothing as pretty as a productive vegetable garden. (well, maybe cattle since this IS ranchersnet:roll: :wink: :D )We're sort of stuck with all the trees around our cramped yard so just have to make the best of that.
One question I've had about mulching with plastic- I've read that tomatoes don't pollinate well over or around 90 degrees (not good at remembering numbers so that may be way off but I know it was under 100) so what happens when the plastic traps the heat and makes the garden hotter? I would think it would make for less fruit by mid July and August...

You may be right, but I've never had a problem of tomatoes not pollinating, our plants have always been loaded with tomatoes - to the point where they are bending over the stakes we have around each plant - sw made stakes out of ruined heavy duty cattle panels. :D

Also we have lots of bees :eek:

Thanks for the info on different colors of mulches...very interesting reading. You have too much shade...we don't have enough in our yard :(

I decided to use soaker hoses because the garden is in full sun and using a sprinkler was wasting water (a precious commodity around here) plus helping weeds grow. Weeds still grow but not so bad inbetween the rows. I had to take a pic of the corn because MCG helped me weed it and it looks nice. I wish I could keep on top of it all the time...too many other things to do, not enough daylight to get 'er all done :?

Here when tomatoes quit makin it's not because they aren't bloomin, and not because they aren't gettin polinated, it's because it's so hot, the blooms fall off. Sometimes if you keep watering and keep them goin thru the summer, you'll have a few fall tomatoes come on when the temps cool down in October and November. We were talkin the other day as to what we want to plant in the fall garden, I want some more black eyed peas, and then some collards, and cabbage. The collards will grow all winter long and then make a seed head in the spring (feb or march).

I tried growing some maters "Upside Down" this year in hanging buckets.
Don't work too good.

The plants grow upward at first then turn down due to the weight of the fruit and the stalk splits, then the plant dies. :oops: :oops:

I seen a few done that way last year in milk jugs, hole cut in the bottom small mater plant stuck in there, the thang made oodles of maters. The plant itself, grew with the leaves reaching upwards, but when the maters come on it did droop some, but they stayed on. they watered thru the hole in the top of the jug, and it was tied at the handle. I was gonna try that this year and totally forgot about it. now it's too late uhggggg.......

Mike...remind me....oh sayyyyy....about march next year...to plant hangin mater bushes. LOL

Hanta Yo said:
You may be right, but I've never had a problem of tomatoes not pollinating, our plants have always been loaded with tomatoes - to the point where they are bending over the stakes we have around each plant - sw made stakes out of ruined heavy duty cattle panels. :D

Also we have lots of bees :eek:

Thanks for the info on different colors of mulches...very interesting reading. You have too much shade...we don't have enough in our yard :(

I decided to use soaker hoses because the garden is in full sun and using a sprinkler was wasting water (a precious commodity around here) plus helping weeds grow. Weeds still grow but not so bad inbetween the rows. I had to take a pic of the corn because MCG helped me weed it and it looks nice. I wish I could keep on top of it all the time...too many other things to do, not enough daylight to get 'er all done :?

Bet you have really good soil, too. And all that free cow poop! Your set!

Well, this year I installed soaker hoses but guess what- with 7+inches of rain we probably won't dry out here til August!

Latest posts