• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cannin Maters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Horse poop mixed in the soil with maters really makes them grow good!!!

But I like the tire thing HantaYo does, think I'll try that next year with our Maters in the garden, and maybe the squash too.

Dad raises his tomatoes in a square bale of hay. He takes and digs a hole 1/2 the depth of the bale, puts the bale in, then cuts out his openings for the tomato plants, lil bigger, bout the size of a coffee can, then adds a little horse poop, and a lil pottin soil, puts in his mater plant and waters. The bale of hay really holds the moisture good and they don't dry out as fast as if they are in just plain soil.

okay, you guys got me takin notes like crazy lol, plannin for next year...

I lied in my earlier post last year it was only five dozen tomato plants...anyway

hanta, do you cut holes in the plastic to plant them, or do you put it around the plants, and do you roll up your plastic in the fall or leave it out?

I like the square bale idea, but we don't really have any left in the spring... It would be naturally mulched and less weeding. could put red plastic around it... :!:

but I also like the tires idea, especially if I lay down plastic...

I think it is so interesting that different veggies like different colors of plastic, cool :lol:

I am still kind of dumb at this, I plant stuff, try to take care of it, if it grows great and I can a lot of food, but am not good at solving problems or knowing what the stuff needs to grow better.

Very interesting data, thanks for sharing it!

Best garden I ever had was when we were at Encino, NM, back in 2000.

The owner's (then) deceased husband had been an auction freak, would buy lots of this and lots of that, if there was one thing in the lot he wanted. Once, he bought a lot that was bathtubs, there must have been 40 of them behind one of the barns there. Not sure what it was he really wanted, but I put 7 of those tubs to good use.

Hubby hauled them to our yard with this huge Army loader, then brought corral cleanings and filled them. I watered them well, and put black plastic over the dirt, and weighted it down. The weeds all germinated and died from the heat, then I removed the plastic and planted them......had tomatoes in one, radishes, lettuce, salad type stuff in another, Al planted his favorite carrots in one, it was just wonderful. They were set side by side, so to weed or work in the garden, I just sat on the edge of the tub next to it. There was only 1 that I had to bend over to mess with. I loved the set-up, and wish we had moved those tubs when we left.

Ranchy said:
Very interesting data, thanks for sharing it!

Best garden I ever had was when we were at Encino, NM, back in 2000.

The owner's (then) deceased husband had been an auction freak, would buy lots of this and lots of that, if there was one thing in the lot he wanted. Once, he bought a lot that was bathtubs, there must have been 40 of them behind one of the barns there. Not sure what it was he really wanted, but I put 7 of those tubs to good use.

Hubby hauled them to our yard with this huge Army loader, then brought corral cleanings and filled them. I watered them well, and put black plastic over the dirt, and weighted it down. The weeds all germinated and died from the heat, then I removed the plastic and planted them......had tomatoes in one, radishes, lettuce, salad type stuff in another, Al planted his favorite carrots in one, it was just wonderful. They were set side by side, so to weed or work in the garden, I just sat on the edge of the tub next to it. There was only 1 that I had to bend over to mess with. I loved the set-up, and wish we had moved those tubs when we left.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :idea: Great clever idea! IF you know somebody who has collected bathtubs! Can you imagine having been his wife having to deal with all his collections? Fascinating what people collect. We knew an old guy who collected antique and not so antique milk bottles and had them everywhere in the house, piles of boxes on the porch- couldn't use the porch it was so full, and another not-so-old friend collected all kinds of washing machines- took up his whole basement.
Nice you were able to help the elderly widow clean out and put the tubs to good use. A gardening magazine might pay for that idea especially if you have a picture. They're always looking for ways for senior citizens to do things more easily etc.

sw said:
Here is where to find it, www.gardeners.com They have it all. Ranchy, we put tires around everything, pulls in the heat, keeps the wind off of the transplants, put the wall of waters around them till they grow out the top. We have watermelons, canteloupe, honeydews, crenshaws, things that people say you can't grow in Montana. We have been eating zhuchinni for about a month now, have watermelons that are baseball size, and the first cherry tomatoes are red. I love the real deal when it comes to veggies and fruits, not the Mexican human fertilized stuff that tastes like cardboard :roll: We also put down black plastic sheeting for the melons and stuff to grow on, don't have to weed, warms the soil, makes those plants think they are living in the South. Use the tires to hold down the plastic, let most of the vines grow out of the tires, put soaker hose around the plants so watering is easy and the wind does not blow it away. I should have Hanta put on some pictures. :roll:
That red plastic is on sale now at Gardeners.com for anyone else interested

hanta, do you cut holes in the plastic to plant them, or do you put it around the plants, and do you roll up your plastic in the fall or leave it out?

We cut holes in the plastic to plant them, when all the 'maters are done, we roll up the red plastic and get rid of it.

Start all over for the next year...I would love to get my stuff in a pile and have all my raised beds all ready for next planting...just need to get my stuff in a pile... If you didn't notice, our tomatoes are in a raised bed. Same with the peppers, onions, luffa plants, and of course, my herb beds.

Hanta Yo said:

We cut holes in the plastic to plant them, when all the 'maters are done, we roll up the red plastic and get rid of it.

Start all over for the next year...I would love to get my stuff in a pile and have all my raised beds all ready for next planting...just need to get my stuff in a pile... If you didn't notice, our tomatoes are in a raised bed. Same with the peppers, onions, luffa plants, and of course, my herb beds.
Raised beds really do seem to make a difference. The strawberries seem to do better in them here. A builder asked me if I'd have some use for composite wood leftovers from another job he'd done! Would I ever!They'll make another good raised bed that'll never rot.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Horse poop mixed in the soil with maters really makes them grow good!!!

But I like the tire thing HantaYo does, think I'll try that next year with our Maters in the garden, and maybe the squash too.

Dad raises his tomatoes in a square bale of hay. He takes and digs a hole 1/2 the depth of the bale, puts the bale in, then cuts out his openings for the tomato plants, lil bigger, bout the size of a coffee can, then adds a little horse poop, and a lil pottin soil, puts in his mater plant and waters. The bale of hay really holds the moisture good and they don't dry out as fast as if they are in just plain soil.

We tried that this year and I recomend that you let the hay stay wet for several weeks before you put the mater plant in it. We planted some and then watered them and the dry hay went through a heat and burned the roots. After about two weeks of keeping the hay wet we replanted with good results.

Faster horses said:
Hanta Yo and sw, you are to be commended on your garden and everything you are able to raise out of it!!

Pretty awesome, and especially for Montana!

Thanks, FH. It is our food to keep us over the winter so we don't have to buy veggies or jellies - only lettuce and salad stuff. I've even found out we can freeze watermelon, honeydew, canteloup - tried it last year - when we want to eat it I partially thaw it out and eat it. Retains the flavor, feels good to eat (esp 90 + outside) and a real nice treat. :D Not as good as fresh, though. :wink:

Latest posts