• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Carcass weights and Choice Select Spread- what say you

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oh,

Forgot to say that one reason I fell we can get minimal backfat and good YG and Marbling is that we used to think BW and growth had to b contradictory. in my program and many others, we've had low to moderate BW and good growth for a long time. There aren't many sires that can do this. Start putting more selection criteria on and you can really narow down what you use for bulls.

Selection is one thing, I think cross Breeding gets you a real good jump on this though,

I had an interesting experience with a group of one source cattle. Although both heifers and steers had greater >= 60% yield grade A1, the quality grade on the steers was around 40% AAA (USDA choice) whereas the heifers graded 78% AAA.

I don't have a lot of data to compare this with. Does anyone else find this unusual?

PPRM: "I think my cros breeding combination gives me a jump on this. The Simmental seems to help with YG, while the Angus helps with marbling."

Give that man a cigar.

That's just the carcass advantage. Now factor in performance on the cow, performance in the feedlot, fertility and longevity in the cow herd.

Why anyone who isn't selling bulls would want a straightbred herd and give up heterosis is beyond me.

The numbers speak for themselves.

~SH~

Murgen said:
Hey guys, ultrasound is great, but it's still only a phenotypic measurement, what about using genetic potential and managing and marketing by genotypes?

Murgen,

I'm not sure I understand your comment above. How can backfat measurement, intramuscular fat evaluation and estimated ribeye area of the the ribeye muscle be called "phenotypic measurement"? Frame scores and the like are phenotypic measurements!

Our ultrasound system software measures these three areas of the ribeye muscle and makes an evaluation based on these numbers in relation to breed type, weight, environmental factors, market pricing and grid parameters.....all geared to the most profitable, optimum outdate!

We have over 75 systems nationwide and in Canada evaluating feedlot cattle on a daily basis, sorting all these cattle to deliver on some type of marketing grid. As a matter of fact, one of the largest corporate feeders is using our system to evaluate and market ALL their cattle. All these cattle go to one packer on a specific marketing grid. They have been using this system for two years and have made some very interesting changes as to how they manage and market sorted cattle.

Whatever you use to market grid cattle, it had better be based on the best information as it relates to the carcass you are marketing.

If you have more questions or comments as to the effectiveness of ultrasound marketing of grid cattle, please visit our website for a brief explaination of the process. www.backfat.com

Brad S, I will be at Quality Feeders, Great Bend, KS on Monday, Feb. 21 to work with the technician there. Come by if you have a chance.

GLA

Latest posts