• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cargill

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Cargill Limited and Better Beef Limited announced today that the two companies have reached an agreement for Cargill to purchase beef processing and related assets operated by Better Beef Limited, headquartered in Guelph, Ontario.

The agreement is subject to normal government approval and other conditions typical of these types of transactions.

"This combination has broad benefits and is a natural fit," said Bennie deJonge, founder and president of Better Beef Limited. "We see this as an opportunity to further strengthen the Ontario and Canadian beef supply chain in these challenging times."

The combination will significantly enhance product and service offerings for food customers and producers both in Canada and around the world. Cargill and Better Beef are committed to leveraging their experience and strengths to provide more value to suppliers and customers.

"As a company that has developed deep roots in Canada over the past 80 years, Cargill is committed to ongoing investment and a strengthening of the Canadian beef sector," said Bill Buckner, Cargill's corporate vice president and president of Cargill Meat Solutions. "This new development illustrates our commitment to not only enhancing our operations, but also solidifies our vision for value-added creation for our customers and producers."

Established in 1972, Better Beef Limited is one of the leading beef processing companies in Canada. The company provides superior quality beef products to consumers throughout the world. For more information visit www.betterbeef.ca.

Headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Cargill Limited employs 6,000 people across the country and has business interests in meat, egg and oilseed processing, animal nutrition, malt, salt, chocolate, natural gas, crop inputs, as well as grain handling and merchandising. The business is a subsidiary of Cargill, an international provider of food, agricultural and risk management products and services. With 105,000 employees in 59 countries, the company is committed to using its knowledge and experience to collaborate with customers to help them succeed.

Cargill (C&S) is closing down here. Rumor is that all the hamburger patties they supply will come from Mexico. I guess that's COOL.

Mike said:
Cargill (C&S) is closing down here. Rumor is that all the hamburger patties they supply will come from Mexico. I guess that's COOL.

I think I will switch to chicken and pork before I eat a patty from Mexico. YUCK!

rancher said:
Mike said:

I think I will switch to chicken and pork before I eat a patty from Mexico. YUCK!

You take a big swig of Tequila, bite about half a Jalapeno, it won't be so bad. Hardee's and Burger King (I think) are the food establishments they supply. McDonald's still likes those big ol' juicy Holsteins! :wink:

Whoa, drinking a worm and eating a mexican patty sounds like fear factor. Don't know if I can handle that part.

Well Rancher are you sure where the pig and the bird came from????
Since you are swithing to FOWL and FOWLER ENJOY! :lol:

rancher said:
Okay then chicken, gag, Agman says we don't import them.

I did not ever say we do not import lean beef. That is ridiculous. To the contrary I have explained in length the purpose of imported lean is to utilize and add value to our surplus production of 50/50 trim. I have stated that McDonald's until just recently did not use imported product. During tthe past year they have tested imported lean for blending in some of their Florida locations. I do not know whether they have decided to use the product or not. Better luck next time with getting your facts in order. Have a great weekend.

rancher wrote:
Okay then chicken, gag, Agman says we don't import them.
AGMAN replied-
"I did not ever say we do not import lean beef. That is ridiculous. To the contrary I have explained in length the purpose of imported lean is to utilize and add value to our surplus production of 50/50 trim. I have stated that McDonald's until just recently did not use imported product. During tthe past year they have tested imported lean for blending in some of their Florida locations. I do not know whether they have decided to use the product or not. Better luck next time with getting your facts in order. Have a great weekend."

Agman,
I don't see anything about beef being imported, just says that you stated that we don't import chickens. Or am I reading this wrong?

Agman, have a rough day? I was talking about chicken being imported. No need to say your sorry, I know somedays we just jump for no reason. I had a bad day yesterday too. If you are still feeling down today, I might let you in on the inside info that I have. It works, just don't push the on button though. When this heifer I am waiting on is done, I have 2 left and life will get back to normal. I still haven't figured out what normal is.

:shock: Havin a good chuckle over the Cargil takeover eh. You Rcalf boys can't see beyond the end of your noses, can you. Sit back and watch Swift move up here while you are at it. Dream on about stopping boxed beef, and then congradulate your efforts once more for KEEPING THAT BORDER CLOSED. This is the move your packers needed to take over the Canadian packing industry and even have more power over the producers of both of our Countries.

Have a good laugh about Mexican burgers boys. Globalization is here, and you assbackwards protectionist views are only helping it along.

rkaiser said:
:shock: Havin a good chuckle over the Cargil takeover eh. You Rcalf boys can't see beyond the end of your noses, can you. Sit back and watch Swift move up here while you are at it. Dream on about stopping boxed beef, and then congradulate your efforts once more for KEEPING THAT BORDER CLOSED. This is the move your packers needed to take over the Canadian packing industry and even have more power over the producers of both of our Countries.

Have a good laugh about Mexican burgers boys. Globalization is here, and you assbackwards protectionist views are only helping it along.

Sorry Rkaiser if my humor in life bothers you. I like to get up and see the sun shining every morning, that is a lie, I would like to get up and see clouds and rain on some of those mornings.

You are for globalization because you need it more than I do on selling your beef. I don't care for it, don't want it, but then that is my opinion. As for Cargill taking over your industry, I see no humor in that, it is like WELCOME TO THE CLUB. You can not do anything about it anymore than I can. Why do you get pissed when we don't want mexican burgers, BUT then you get pissed because globalization of packers is taking over your country?

:shock: You know rancher, all I'm saying is that globalization is inevitible, and the best hope we have is to curtail the monopolistic maneuvers of Cargil, Tyson, and Conagra by developing more competition from smaller players. Yes this is a problem in the USA and Canada, but it has become a huge problem in Canada the last few years.
Cargil and Tyson have made insane profits off the backs of Canadian producers due to the closed border. Doesn't Rcalf brag about that closed border being their piece of work.

Yes, I know, BSE closed the border, but politics and Rcalf's monkey Judge have had something to do with keeping it closed. Am I wrong.

Thus - closed border - insane profits for the pirates - makes for plant expansion and plant aquistion by Cargil and Tyson.

Personally, I'm about sick of all of it. Ready to throw in the proverbial towel with the "Help the Canadian Producer Campaign", and concentrate on our own rapidly expanding vertically integrated market.

There is nobody trying to help the average Canadian producer. Our own producer groups are overrun with a$$kissers ready to drop down and smooch the USDA and the American Packers. While we listen to you Rcalf boys laugh and joke about how proud you are to keep those Canadian cattle out for another day, while one more good cattleman in Canada bites the dust.

Hope you choke on your mexican burger rancher. Not choke to death, just choke enough to realize that human compassion sometimes involves a little smaller bite, with a bit left for the fellow dieing across some invisible line we call a border.

Hope you choke on your mexican burger rancher. Not choke to death, just choke enough to realize that human compassion sometimes involves a little smaller bite, with a bit left for the fellow dieing across some invisible line we call a border.

No one worried about the producer that was losing his ranch due to drough, high interest and low cattle prices down here before BSE. Seems like now it is on your plate we are suppose to go back to lower prices to save you. This price increase we have had is keeping a few more in the business south of the border. I am sorry BSE ever showed up, I am not sorry to see a friend or neighbor being able to keep his head above water because his cows and calves are bring more. Yes, the price increased down here, But so did expenses, hay at around 80-100 a ton and gas for one, but many more cost of living expenses for other businesses. Too bad ranchers didn't get a cost of living raise. Our health insurance, doctor bills are going nuts, try buying steel posts and on and on. So no we are not fattening the banks on your back, we are getting enough to hang on.

:) Whatever rancher. According to Rcalf, all those environmental problems and finacial expenses are not a problem in Canada, and in fact the governement pays us enough to cover all of that. What a joke.

We are in the same boat. Expenses rising, weather problems, packer control. The only difference is we have a group of protectionist taking advantage of a BS health situation to break some very fair and good trade arrangements.

Canada is not your problem. Yes you are recieving some short term price spikes, and you will then blame Canada when that price dips. Think about what you are doing. Is it truely going to help your future in the cattle business? Are you making friends where you will need them down the road? Or is it all about a buck now, and then an "I told you so" blame Canadians when the border does open. The unfounded war of words will go on.

In Montana, cattle numbers have dropped dramatically since a high of nearly 3.4 million in 1974. According to statistics from the Montana Cattlemen's Association, there are about 2.35 million cattle in the state nowadays.
On average, Montana is losing about 250 ranches a year, according to the association.
"I shake my head every time I hear an elected official discuss the ways to revitalize rural Montana," said Montana Cattlemen's Association President Dennis McDonald. "We are losing production, losing the ability to create new dollars and that is why we are losing rural Montana."

:shock: Come on Rancher, same story north of 49. So what, you figure that the only solution to solving that problem is to $hit on Canadian producers.

The actions of Rcalf over the past 2 years have done nothing to change your situation, have they?

Have any Rcalf actions helped with the challenges you face with Packer control, or competition?

Now you can tell me that you have received higher short term prices, but what effect will that have on the future.

Canadian ranchers used to buy a lot of cattle in the States. Lots of purebred cattle were traded back and forth. Have the hard feelings brought on by the protectionist policy of Rcalf hurt that, or helped?

Of course producers need a voice, and a strong legal arm once in a while. But constuctive use of that arm is far better than destructive.

No one worried about the producer that was losing his ranch due to drought, and low cattle prices up here before BSE either. We've had em all too. In fact, we had just dug ourselves out of a big hole from just such causes when the border slammed shut. Now we're back down in that hole again.

Having farmed in the 80's, I will say that high interest is not such an issue now as it has been. I remember paying 18 percent on our operating loan. Now that's high interest! :shock:

But we did have the same drought you guys did, and we did have our cattle prices tank a few years ago due to the shenanigans from Montana, combined with the help of Ms. Winfrey, so all has not been rosy for us either.....

Of course producers need a voice, and a strong legal arm once in a while. But constuctive use of that arm is far better than destructive.

I believe in a producer drivin org, R-calf fits it in some ways, and NCBA in others. I don't believe either is perfect and don't care for the flip flop they both seem to do to get their way. You were a protectionist market before BSE, but have flip flopped on that now to get your market going. I truely believe you would not be even taking boxed beef if we had the 3-4 cases of BSE. R-calf is not screwing you as much as the packers and your government that is letting them. Who knows if the price we are getting is short term, they keep telling us Japan is going to take our untested beef too soon.

rancher said:
No one worried about the producer that was losing his ranch due to drough, high interest and low cattle prices down here before BSE. .

Rancher ... It was ,nt exactly a bed of roses up here either....

Latest posts