• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Casa Paloma where are you located?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

In the piney woods outside Palestine, Texas, about 20 miles or so. Expect to get hit with some wind (probably take down some trees) and a bunch of much needed rain (all the tanks are dry). Don't expect too much trouble - maybe some trees down on fences and such. Too high up to get any flooding. It will be a wild ride for the weekend. My two hired hands just moved their families out to this place to be safe.

How far is your place from the coast? I live about 100 miles inland and have had some bad stormes this far up. I hope you have a generator.

I'm a good ways from the coast - about 2 hours north of Houston. I've got my generators gassed up and tuned up and ready for the storm. We are all set - got lots of food in the freezer, plenty of water stored, gas for the lamps and batteries for the radios and flashlights. Got enough medicine stocked up to open a pharmacy and a vet clinic. Got generators hooked up to the two small houses my hired help and their families will be living in and believe we have covered all the bases. Appreciate the concern but we will be just fine.

That's two hours in normal times right??? :???:

Right now two miles north would be about a mile. :shock:

We've been watching the evacuations on TV. It's amazing. And so sad about those poor people on the bus. :cry: No one needed a terrible accident like that on top of all the tragedy of the last month.

Stay safe.

Just got back from town. Traffic in our small town is horrific. Lines at the gas stations that have gas. Parking lots are full. Went in Walmart to get a couple of items and they were out of beer and toilet paper. This is Texas - people have to get the necessities. Plenty of water and food staples but out of beer and toilet paper(?). Guess I'll have to break out the old Sears and Roebuck catalogs and magazines and get the still working again.

CP - Is Palestine worse situated vis a vis Rita than Austin? I just looked at Google Maps and it looks like they are a similar distance away from Houston and north, albeit Palestine is directly north of Houston and Austin is to the west. I know Austin just gets bad rain and an occasional tornado when hurricanes hit the Gulf.

We usually get the rain (60 inches a year) and plenty of wind and the occasional tornado. Haven't had any problems really. They (the local officials) are predicting Rita to blow over the top of us and sit here for a couple of days, so we should get the rain and wind again. Believe that because it is going right over the top of us, we won't have the tornado spin-offs to worry about. We are in dire need of the rain, but they can keep the wind.

Casa Paloma said:
Just got back from town. Traffic in our small town is horrific. Lines at the gas stations that have gas. Parking lots are full. Went in Walmart to get a couple of items and they were out of beer and toilet paper. This is Texas - people have to get the necessities. Plenty of water and food staples but out of beer and toilet paper(?). Guess I'll have to break out the old Sears and Roebuck catalogs and magazines and get the still working again.

Found you, with difficulty, on the map, Casa. Man that printing is getting smaller and smaller!
Looks like you may have lost your hair but not your sense of humor :lol:
Sounds like you're all prepared and setting a good example.

Casa Paloma said:
Went in Walmart to get a couple of items and they were out of beer and toilet paper. This is Texas - people have to get the necessities.

Several years ago we had several large prairie fires burning around the county......One large one was burning directly toward a small reservation town- the owner of the town bar started handing out cases of Budweiser to the local patrons who then went to work fighting the fire- The bar was about the only building left standing after the fire roared thru.... There are such things as priorities :wink: :lol: :lol: ..

The wind is starting to blow already. I can't tell if it is from Rita or Big Muddy and Haymaker at it again. Still have a tent up in the back. Will be interesting to see if it survives or just how far it will blow. Don't use the tent for anything anymore except a place for the cats and other wild critters to get out of the rain. Been busy as a chambermaid in a livery stable for the past few days. Kinda lazy today. Hardest work I've done was take a long squint at the sun an' a quick squat in the shade.

We hauled the last couple barrels of water out to the calves and the winds startin to kick up here, round 30 to 40 mph gusts, clouds rollin in but no rain yet. Beautiful sunset tonight tho. The clouds are heavy lookin, should start getting rain in the next hour or so. Will keep ya'll posted as long as possible.

Casa; 60 inches of rain is a 5 year supply for us on the high plains and you say you're dry?? While we complain about our constant wind I guess we wouldn't want to trade places with you folks tonight! Seriously, hang tight and I'm sure your preparations along with a little luck will bring you and yours through in fine shape!

Tonite on the news a newsman got in a wind tunnel to show what happens to a person in high wind. He said humans can only withstand up to 111 miles per hour and his face skin was flapping like a bird at 70 mph at which point he could no longer talk. It was really something to watch. I'd never seen that before and never hope to be in a wind like that. God bless all of you in Texas. We're praying for you.

Nothing new here, yet. Just some sprinkles and wind gusts about 30 mph. Everything still standing and power still on around area. Hope the rain makes it up here soon. Checked the livestock and everything snug. Friend went with me to check the pastures. That man has more guts than yuh could hang on a fence. He'd fight a rattler an' give him first bite.

We still have power, some winds and rain, just turned on the weather channel and the rain looks like it will get heavier in the next hour or so we'll be getting what they are showing as yellow bands. nothing damaged that I can see looking outside right now. but , hehe it's still dark.
Hmmmm think I'm gonna go crawl back in bed after such a late night and nothin really to report on, I could use a lil more sleep.

The rain finally started. Wind gusts of about 50 mph now, but only gusts. Had a couple of those little lawn windmills anchored in the yard. Wind took them out of their anchorage. Old tent in back still standing. Wish I had a camera - mother deer and a couple of babies standing under the tent grazing on old left-over hay and spilled grain. Power went out for about 15 minutes, but back on before I could get the generator started. Dogs going crazy running around the yard playing in the rain - been a long time since they have seen any around here. I'm sure they will want to come back inside and climb on the couch when they get tired. Wife is going to love that. The worse hasn't hit up here yet so if it remains like it is now, will be going out to check cattle and fences later today. Rain sure looks good, however. Noticed on the news that the poor folks in Houston are already starting to complain - "No one done come to get me." I guess Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton will be down there sympathize with them because they are too stupid to find the evacuation points for the buses.

Be careful casa paloma,there aint much warning for tornadoes,some of these storms spawn alot of tornadoes and some dont,let's hope this one dont.............good luck

Casa Paloma said:
The rain finally started. Wind gusts of about 50 mph now, but only gusts. Had a couple of those little lawn windmills anchored in the yard. Wind took them out of their anchorage. Old tent in back still standing. Wish I had a camera - mother deer and a couple of babies standing under the tent grazing on old left-over hay and spilled grain. Power went out for about 15 minutes, but back on before I could get the generator started. Dogs going crazy running around the yard playing in the rain - been a long time since they have seen any around here. I'm sure they will want to come back inside and climb on the couch when they get tired. Wife is going to love that. The worse hasn't hit up here yet so if it remains like it is now, will be going out to check cattle and fences later today. Rain sure looks good, however. Noticed on the news that the poor folks in Houston are already starting to complain - "No one done come to get me." I guess Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton will be down there sympathize with them because they are too stupid to find the evacuation points for the buses.

Wait till they find out Kentucky Fried Chicken is closed today.

We lost power this mornin about 9am rainin and a lil wind still, we look to be on the very western edge of rita, some limbs down around but not bad. Drove out to see if the cows were fairin ok, but they've all headed to the back part of the place across the creek. I didnt want to cross just in case a tree should go down while I was back there, I'll wait till it lets up some in the wind department before crossing.
LOL hubby was talkin bout gettin up and cookin breakfast right before the power went out. Unknowin to him I'd gotten up earlier,(when I posted earlier) and got the coffee pot goin, so I had coffee to drink. He dont drink coffee, so he didnt get breakfast. I guess if it stays off very long we'll hook up the stove and cook somethin. Ok..conserving battery on laptop, check back in with you all later. Power did just blib on then back off so maybe crews are already workin on em

Latest posts