• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

catch pin design. "PICTURES"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Not so much too short just run a plank across the top of the wire panels keep the cows from jumping them then run a row thru the middle it will hold them sure enough. the post's look to be treated pine post they tend to break easy.Set some RR ties in with what you have you should be fine I've used those panels so I know how cows treat them..Sure like those Black cows no affence Mike..

here's the best I could do with a design from the program I have on this computer. would work best in a corner so you could run the cattle along the fence into a wing, they must turn the corner, it is important that there is MORE than adequate spacing so that they don't feel pushed, they can flow naturally forward. the same wing then turn into a wing/ holding pen for the catch pen/working pens/loading area. red is the patter of the gate, green is the gates. brown is the solid catchpen fencing, grey is barbed or wovenwire fencing depending on the segment blue signifies the cattle flow
untitled.jpg

Denny said:
Not so much too short just run a plank across the top of the wire panels keep the cows from jumping them then run a row thru the middle it will hold them sure enough. the post's look to be treated pine post they tend to break easy.Set some RR ties in with what you have you should be fine I've used those panels so I know how cows treat them..Sure like those Black cows no affence Mike..

No offence taken here. I agree, that they are good cows. I was by a few weeks back and they even look better than the pictures.

I went over to borrow a bull from Bama to breed MY black cows to! I guess that means I am not TOTALLY biased. :wink:

Jake , would they not work better with the gate on the wing fence side of the coral instead of the outside fence side. You could swing the gate to the outside and make that a wing for them coming in also. Looks like they would like to slide down the fence ?

Red Robin said:
Jake , would they not work better with the gate on the wing fence side of the coral instead of the outside fence side. You could swing the gate to the outside and make that a wing for them coming in also. Looks like they would like to slide down the fence ?

they would, the outside fence needs to be over more and they should be funnelled to a smaller spot than that and there needs to be another gate installed inside the catch pen there. but it was quick and it was just a basic idea for a layout.

pens.jpg

I could'nt get it all in here Alabama,but ,7-16x16 pens with a 8x64 alley.The intent here is as you run them in the sorting pens from the catch pen,you can sort and move em pretty easy,and I did 'nt draw this right, but the way the gates swing ,when you are moving cattle down the alley,you have a gate between you and the cattle,some of these brahma influenced mama's can get mean,as you run out of one gate you start swinging the next till you get her to the next pen,or squeeze,or at the end of alley to load her,these are 4inch pipe with 2 3/8 runners,with cattle panels welded in place,and they are covered,to work cattle in the TX heat.I know this is not what you were asking, but something to think about.I have heard/read all the stories about curves in cow pens,and I will agree as we have a set. but curves are a lot harder to build than squares,built these myself years ago..............good luck PS good looking black cattle ,got length I like that :wink:

Nice looking cattle, nothing prettier than a good black cow, IMO. What mineral are you feeding?

ok folks,

Lots of good ideas, but the key here is it is for about fifteen head on a rented piece of property. Start burying stuff and it is no longer yours once the lease is up, it is part of the property.

Here's what I see in the pictures, a typical transition. People start with welded wire panels, they don't work, so then the cheapest portable panels are next. They get bent and people try to use them in spite of the sharp points created by the mashing of the cheap stays the manufactures use. Eventually, they either learn to buy good panels first or get out of the business, sometimes after some serious doctor bills. Thing is, there are several brands that have good heavy materials.

The aluminum flat panel gate is real telling. In our country, if stock doesn't take them out, a strong wind will.

Bama, I think my design would entail 3 adjustable alley bows, 9 good panels and one 10 foot 16 guage bowgate. It is durable, functional, portable and not too pricey for a small operation. It puts safety back into the equation.You can use the cheap panels for what they were meant for, lower pressure perimeter areas.

My guess is about $2000 to $2500, depending if you use panels or a sweep tub leading to the crowd alley,

Just send me a fax number, I'll give you the layout,

By the way, The pipe thru the alley to keep calves from backing up, that has borken more than one Femur. I sold a guy a $7500 system 4 years ago (lots cheaper Steel then). He priced it the previous fall for $7,000, decided it was too expensive. He got on the wrong side of that pipe and a cow jumped back, the pipe snapped his Femur. It cost him nearly $14,000 out of his pocket in Dr. Bills, nearly twice what a good system would have,

PPRM

We started last fall replacing a little at a time, I know what your saying about expenses since it is a rent pasture. But for about $2000.00 3 1/2 inch drill pipe for posts and 7/8 sucker rod welded onto the posts, someplaces 5 and some places 6, our catch pens are 55 foot wide and 130 ft long. I tried drawing our pens as best as I could with the paint program. Man did I ever feel kindergartenish lol but if you look long enuff you will find a way to do it affordably is what I"m gettin at. These pens are now really stout and will stay a longgggggggg time.

From the color book of jersey lilly,
Catchpendrawing.jpg

PPRM nailed this topic on the head, head-first. Your set up didn't look all that bad, might could use some 2 x 8's. About a dozen (or less), good heavy panels, that you can also use at home, or also at the rest of your rented places, and you look to be ranching in tall cotton.
Refer back to Soapweed's bull loadout post if you need inspiration.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
We started last fall replacing a little at a time, I know what your saying about expenses since it is a rent pasture. But for about $2000.00 3 1/2 inch drill pipe for posts and 7/8 sucker rod welded onto the posts, someplaces 5 and some places 6, our catch pens are 55 foot wide and 130 ft long. I tried drawing our pens as best as I could with the paint program. Man did I ever feel kindergartenish lol but if you look long enuff you will find a way to do it affordably is what I"m gettin at. These pens are now really stout and will stay a longgggggggg time.

my only question is where do ya load them at? other than that I like the system

I ran out of room on my drawin board lol
in the picture, green indicates gates, lower left corner of drawing there's a gate we crowd calves into the small part of the corrals and back the trailer up to that gate, open the gates on the trailer to the outside, and run calves down to that end and they go right in. I'd like to eventually have a loading chute on that end but as it is now it's working well.

There are a lot of folks around here going with something like this and they like them a lot. I have talked to some that even took the permanent ones out so he didn't worry about people stealing his cattle with his stuff and these would work better then his permanent ones would too. This is not the ones around here but they look a lot a like. I don't know how much they cost and how much your going to spend. Just something to look at.

FYI the way I work my two pastures that hold only 15 pairs is I load them up and take them to the house that has a good corral. I hope I helped and God Bless.

http://www.for-most.com/portablesystems.html

We work 120 pairs or there abouts in ours, twice a year, sometimes three times if we have late calves. Works real good with all the different sections, can work 20 or 30 at a time nice and easy without alot of pushin goin on. All I can say about the cost is, the good lord was lookin after me, when it became my job to get on the phone and shop around. Them $5 sucker rods saved our behinds.

I saw one of the neatest ideas on a FM model squeeze chute. They had 2 pipes welded together and with a bend sloped up from the floor to keep the animals from laying down. Looked like it would be great! I didn't give the best description. I might be able to draw it somewhat when I get home.

That's exactly what they did Jinglebob-my farmer neighbors were horrified I didn't level it ans make it into a field. Pretty nice having an all weather driveway though-we had to start feeding yearlings up on it this year because of all the mud.

Latest posts