• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle questions

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Inspiringfarmer101

Reaction score
1. If I have 20 acres of land how many cattle should I start off with? Number of cows, calf's, heifers? (Planning on doing ai)
2. How do I choose heifers I raise as beef cattle and sell. Which ones do I keep to breed, and how many? Doing artificial insemination
3. When my cows give birth to bulls do I raise them as beef cattle or or sell them when it's time to separate from there moms.

Where I live you couldn't keep one cow on 20 acres.
So where are you living?
How much grass does you 20 acres produce.
Bull calves are usually made into steers at a fairly young age and then could be sold at weaning.

my area is 20 acres to 1 animal unit (AU), so that would be one cow and a calf. lot of Wyoming is 40 acres /AU, with areas well over a 100acres/AU. some irrigated areas and intensive management they might get down to 6 acres/AU. Small acreages would be better for a sheep, hog, or chicken operation. less equipment and facilities needed.

On my place 20 acres in the irrigated you could run about 10 cows with good rotation. On the other side of the ditch going up into the hills 20 acres will run one cow for about 4 months maybe.

50 sheep and less livestock Equpment :)
1000 goats 66 acres of brush, noxious weeds, and invasive grass, and no livestock equipment required. A tried and proven eco-friendly plan sure to please everyone. :ROFLMAO:

@Faster horses might have visited the Pendleton Woolen Mills but has she ever seen the Pendleton Goats? ;)

The city of Pendleton makes it clear that these are working goats and not a petting zoo. Several guard dogs secure the perimeter. :confused:

The goat herders get paid a handsome contract fee, plus get free feed and drink for their goats. I am not sure if a mineral/salt block is included in the package deal or not. :sneaky:

I sure wish I was younger and in good health because I would get in on this lucrative deal. The taunting goat jokes wouldn't faze me as I deposited my check for $36,000 in the bank for TWO weeks camping and picnicking by the river and still have 500 young goats to sell that would bring $50,000-$70,000. I would enlist a few 4H girls to help me with the goats in trade for their choice of a weaned kid for their 4H project. :cool:

At the inflated 4H sale prices, those girls could rake in $1000 to $5000 for their efforts. :love:

5bf3b001aa77e.image.jpg

Last edited:
Around here there are or where lots of government deals on grazing for cattle but all of them are crooked and set up for certain friends of government
That is the beauty of contract goat grazing. No one wants to do it. The thing with this deal is you still have 50 weeks a year to pasture and care for the goats.

If there were several bidders I have no doubt it would be corrupt. No politicians around here have friends in the goat business. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1000 goats 66 acres of brush, noxious weeds, and invasive grass, and no livestock equipment required. A tried and proven eco-friendly plan sure to please everyone. :ROFLMAO:

@Faster horses might have visited the Pendleton Woolen Mills but has she ever seen the Pendleton Goats? ;)

The city of Pendleton makes it clear that these are working goats and not a petting zoo. Several guard dogs secure the perimeter. :confused:

The goat herders get paid a handsome contract fee, plus get free feed and drink for their goats. I am not sure if a mineral/salt block is included in the package deal or not. :sneaky:

I sure wish I was younger and in good health because I would get in on this lucrative deal. The taunting goat jokes wouldn't faze me as I deposited my check for $36,000 in the bank for TWO weeks camping and picnicking by the river and still have 500 young goats to sell that would bring $50,000-$70,000. I would enlist a few 4H girls to help me with the goats in trade for their choice of a weaned kid for their 4H project. :cool:

At the inflated 4H sale prices, those girls could rake in $1000 to $5000 for their efforts. :love:

View attachment 2256
At the roundup this year over by the Dairy Queen there was a pen of about 20 goats. They had a little roping chute in the pen and a sign saying for $xx you could test your roping skills.

At the roundup this year over by the Dairy Queen there was a pen of about 20 goats. They had a little roping chute in the pen and a sign saying for $xx you could test your roping skills.
Did you chat with our resident roper? I'm sure he was there teaching some 8-year-old ranch girl, that was impressed with his buckle, how to "deliver" a loop. :ROFLMAO: No, wait, he is headed for Wyoming. :love:

Neighbor (Devils Tower Goats) ran 1200 goats grazing leafy spurge, wild Licorish. not sure if weed and pest pays for any off the weed control, or they just got the pasture. Last year they sold most of them because of hay. This summer they brought up a herd from Texas, here in a week the kids will be cut off and then the nanny will go back to Texas. They herd them with dogs, horses and a sheep camp wagon. They bought our horde of bum lambs, so their gaud dogs had something to be with this winter. Their place is on our south and was actually a few hundred acres that was put together on this ranch.

Back in Lincoln County, the extension agent came from Spanish Fork Utah. He had a triple deck 5th wheel he hauls around 200-300 turkeys. he had a couple kids that would herd them on the big lots with the McMansions, the turkeys were for grasshopper and Mormon cricket and earwig control. So, he got paid and his turkeys got fed.

Last edited:
They did indicate cattle, but being the diverse group we are, we covered sheep, goats, and last but not least (well maybe), turkeys. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts