• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CCA to file in R-CALF suit

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SASH

Reaction score
CCA Seeks Permission To Provide Info In R-Calf Suit

WINNIPEG, MB, Feb 23, 2005 (Resource News International via COMTEX) -- The Canadian Cattlemen's Association (CCA), on behalf of Canadian cattle producers, has filed for permission to provide information in the R-CALF vs. United States Department of Agriculture law suit, a release from the CCA said Wednesday.

Legal counsel representing CCA and Canadian cattle producers has filed an amicus curiae ("friend of the court") brief in the case being heard in the United States District Court in Billings, Montana, the release said.

Amicus briefs are legal documents filed by non-litigants in court cases which include additional information or arguments that those outside parties wish to have considered in that particular case.

The CCA brief focuses on the economics of re-opening the border to both live cattle and an expanded list of beef products, and argues that re-opening the border will not harm the U.S. beef industry, the release said. An amicus brief filed by the Government of Canada focuses on the scientific arguments for re-opening the border.

"The purpose of filing the amicus brief is to ensure that the judge hearing the case has all the relevant information needed to make an informed decision," said Dennis Laycraft, Executive Vice President of the CCA in the release. "The information being filed dispels the myth that there are vast numbers of cattle waiting to cross the border on March 7. It also points out that consumer confidence has remained high in both Canada and the U.S. and re-opening the border will not negatively impact that confidence."

The judge hearing the case will decide if the brief filed by CCA, and amicus briefs filed by other interested parties, will be accepted, the release said.

ok boys, lets place the bets....2 to 1 the judge will not accept the briefs...after checking with Leo and Bullard.

I know i am being skeptic about the US legal system, but do you blame me, remember Rodney King and OJ. I wonder when this judge is up for re-election and who is donating to his election fund. I think me smells a rat...or is that a dead mad cow in Montana.... :shock:

SMS said:
I wonder when this judge is up for re-election and who is donating to his election fund.

The Judge is appointed for life- and it takes an impeachment act by Congress to remove him.......

I just had to bring this up, i quess i was right and the judge didnt allow the CCA to present its breif. Only listened to Leo and Bullard. Figures....

Did anyone listen to the CTV National News last night?

Our American friends would not have heard this due to the fact that Canadian news is as scarce as hen's teeth south of the border.

According to them, Paul Martin and GW spoke on the phone last night, and GW assured him that he will veto any resolutions to keep the border closed.

He also told him .... there would be a panel of three judges appointed to hear the case. :shock:

I had all kinds of comments to add to this, but won't do it. 8)

I'll let you guys wade in on this one.

:D I missed some of this one,,,,,,, who's briefs was the CCA pulling down and who's American ass was Laycraft trying to kiss this time? :roll:

Latest posts