• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CFIA Blew It On BSE Issue

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

BEEF NEWS
Expert: Canadian authorities blew it on BSE issue

by Pete Hisey on 7/14/2005 for Meatingplace.com

Canadian governmental authorities followed U.S. procedures in regard to bovine spongiform encephalopathy without understanding that Canada's risk profile was completely different from that of the United States, said William Leiss of the University of Ottawa and former president of the Royal Society of Canada.

The United States exports only about 10 percent of its beef, while Canada before the discovery of BSE in its herd exported nearly 75 percent, Leiss said, leading to the brutal loss of some $8 billion (Canadian) in just two years.

"In food issues, we are cursed with the political attitude that we've just got to be onside with the U.S. and nothing else matters," Leiss told the Canadian Press. He also charged that like the United States, Canada's feed ban is "half-hearted" and "full of holes."

Canadian authorities replied that their mandate was to judge risk in solely disease-related terms, not economic ones.

I have read Dr. Leiss' papers and he is a wise man. He has advocated increased testing for "export" markets all along plus numerous other precautions that go "against the grain" of USDA thinking.

It's sad that the ranchers in Canada have had to face such economic hardship in exchange for "Political" maneuverings in Ottawa. No two countries' risk can be exactly alike because the very same cattle and/or MBM weren't imported in the 1980's.

BSE itself may not be as big an issue in North America as it was in Europe but the politicians here are "Hell Bent" to do a better job at covering it up.

One thing he is wrong about is that Canada's feed ban is not working. Canada has never fed it's cattle all the crap that the US continues to feed, and it is US feed processors that continue to violate the law, not Canadian processors.[/b]

redriver said:
One thing he is wrong about is that Canada's feed ban is not working. Canada has never fed it's cattle all the crap that the US continues to feed, and it is US feed processors that continue to violate the law, not Canadian processors.[/b]

He did not say that Canada's feed ban "is not working" (your words). He said it's "full of holes". One of your last positive animals proved that it might be, by being born after the ban.
If the U.S. feed processors are violating the law and ruining your feed. Stop buying it. Very elementary.

The only hole was the government'S including the US didn't recall the feed that was in the system and destroy it. How many times do you have to be told that. The feed was not made after the feed ban it was left over pre feed ban feed. :roll:

Tam said:
The only hole was the government'S including the US didn't recall the feed that was in the system and destroy it. How many times do you have to be told that. The feed was not made after the feed ban it was left over pre feed ban feed. :roll:

A hole is a hole is a hole. How many times do you have to be told that? Matters not who's guvment it was. Besides, your buddy Red said it was the U.S. and not Canada that had holes. Dang it Tam, we both got holes. Our hole might be bigger than yours, who knows? IT'S STILL HOLES!
This is not a Canada vs. US issue for me. Although it is obviously that way for many.

frenchie said:
Callis said:
This is not a Canada vs. US issue for me. Although it is obviously that way for many.

Then why are you trying to keep the border closed

Mike, what a callous attitude you show by keeping the border closed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps you should take this opportunity to explain your actions. :wink:

You are right in saying that this should not be a Cdn. vs. US. issue. I supposes we are all familiar with the divide and conquer strategy. It has been used quite effectively in this industry. And guess who has conquered? It ain't the cattleman.

Quote (from the article)- ".....Canada before the discovery of BSE in its herd exported nearly 75 percent, Leiss said......."

This is incorrect. For this to be true, Canada's domestic market would have to be only 25% of its production. Think about it. :roll:
If I remember right, Canada exported between 40 and 50% of production. 75% of that went to the US as beef and live cattle. Some of those live cattle came right back into Canada in boxes.
Maybe someone else knows the exact numbers but I believe these are pretty close. :)

Maple Leaf Angus said:
frenchie said:
Callis said:

Then why are you trying to keep the border closed

Mike, what a callous attitude you show by keeping the border closed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps you should take this opportunity to explain your actions. :wink:

Which actions? Are you having me followed? :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

TimH said:
Quote (from the article)- ".....Canada before the discovery of BSE in its herd exported nearly 75 percent, Leiss said......."

This is incorrect. For this to be true, Canada's domestic market would have to be only 25% of its production. Think about it. :roll:
If I remember right, Canada exported between 40 and 50% of production. 75% of that went to the US as beef and live cattle. Some of those live cattle came right back into Canada in boxes.
Maybe someone else knows the exact numbers but I believe these are pretty close. :)

Hey you are right on that.

One neighbour up here was hauling beef halves down to Chicago for yrs. Backhauled hamburger .

frenchie said:
TimH said:

Hey you are right on that.

One neighbour up here was hauling beef halves down to Chicago for yrs. Backhauled hamburger .

OK Jethro. You MIGHT have caught him on a technicality. I still agree with some of his writings. :wink: :wink:

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mike said:
Which actions? Are you having me followed? :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Would I not lose the advantage of subtility by answering your question? :)
You sneaky devil you! On the issue of Canada vs. US, I will maintain a degree of patriotism though. To the "Confederate States of America"! :wink:

Mike- "OK Jethro. You MIGHT have caught him on a technicality. I still agree with some of his writings. "

Might have....???? :???:

Technicality...??? :???:

Ya, OK. I'm goin' balin' now! :roll: :roll: :wink: :lol:

Latest posts