• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CFIA Proposes New Import Regulations

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
I was just glancing through the March issue of the Canadian Cattleman magazine and this little blip of a headline caught my eye, and now I'm really PO'd

"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has announced proposed regulations to remove import restrictions from a range of U.S. cattle and beef products currently prohibited.

Based on the guidelines of the World Organization for Animal Health, the CFIA plans to permit the importation of live cattle born in 1998 or later, beef from animals of any age from which specified risk material has been removed and various other commodities

With respect to bluetongue and anaplasmosis, the proposed regulations will allow for year-round access for U.S. feeder cattle destined for slaughter into Canadian feedlots."

What is wrong with our government??? They obviously have no backbone whatsoever.

Shelly said:
I was just glancing through the March issue of the Canadian Cattleman magazine and this little blip of a headline caught my eye, and now I'm really PO'd

"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has announced proposed regulations to remove import restrictions from a range of U.S. cattle and beef products currently prohibited.

Based on the guidelines of the World Organization for Animal Health, the CFIA plans to permit the importation of live cattle born in 1998 or later, beef from animals of any age from which specified risk material has been removed and various other commodities

With respect to bluetongue and anaplasmosis, the proposed regulations will allow for year-round access for U.S. feeder cattle destined for slaughter into Canadian feedlots."

What is wrong with our government??? They obviously have no backbone whatsoever.

Any idea if those cattle will be branded with a U.S brand so they can be tracked.?

frenchie said:
Shelly said:

Any idea if those cattle will be branded with a U.S brand so they can be tracked.?

According to USDA's proposed rules if they go into Canada and then are sent back they will need to be branded CAN.

The article didn't say, but I don't suppose. Our gov't wouldn't think of requesting that stipulation. :wink: They'd rather bend over and take it instead!

Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
Shelly said:

According to USDA's proposed rules if they go into Canada and then are sent back they will need to be branded CAN.

So you're saying american cattle automatically become canadian cattle when they go back into the states? How does that work???

Shelly said:
Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:

So you're saying american cattle automatically become canadian cattle when they go back into the states? How does that work???

Thats the way the proposed rule looks to me-- Everything coming in from Canada has to be segregated either by sealed container directly to slaughter or branded CAN and carry a Canadian ID tag if going into an approved and segregated inspected feedlot..... Only thing that qualifies as US is those born, raised and slaughtered in the US-- which is exactly what MCOOL asked for, which would make it so easy to implement now.....

That just doesn't make any sense. Here's a scenario for you....american born critter sent to Canada and then shipped back to the states with it's CAN brand or ID tag is found to have BSE. Is Canada supposed to take the credit and blame for that?

Shelly said:
That just doesn't make any sense. Here's a scenario for you....american born critter sent to Canada and then shipped back to the states with it's CAN brand or ID tag is found to have BSE. Is Canada supposed to take the credit and blame for that?

Now Shelly Of course they would try to blame us...

Shelly said:

I would think that with your ID system- you would tag everything coming in and would have a record of where it originated--(unless it lost its tag in the feedlot....)

Could be interesting who would take claim or blame for that animals infection.....

Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
Shelly said:

Along with the U.S brand?

I think those american cattle should have an ID tag before they come to Canada, just like we do ours. Then there'd be no question as to who's fault it is.

Oldtimer said:
Shelly said:

I would think that with your ID system- you would tag everything coming in and would have a record of where it originated--(unless it lost its tag in the feedlot....)

Could be interesting who would take claim or blame for that animals infection.....

They should have a brand Ot.. tags fall out isn,t that what you told me.

frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:
Shelly said:

I agree- and if they were Montana cattle 95% of them would ... And all of them would have state inspection papers going along with them when they went north across that border- but what you do with those papers after you cross the line is up to you....But-They would also have papers on file that could be used to track down that calf when the Canadian tag falls out....

Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:

I agree- and if they were Montana cattle 95% of them would ... And all of them would have state inspection papers going along with them when they went north across that border- but what you do with those papers after you cross the line is up to you....But-They would also have papers on file that could be used to track down that calf when the Canadian tag falls out....

Oldtimer I,m talking a country of orgin brand. not local state brands..The U.S.A on a hip or whatever..

Latest posts