• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cheaper type cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jake

Reaction score
there any cheap older cows up in anybody's area? We've got some down home I'm thinking about picking up but I'd like to have 50-100 of $600-$650 bred cows.

Jake,

I just sold some, lol.....

As I buy Butcher cows, I have them Pregged. Oct 4, I had two that pregged at 3 and 4 months. I paid $449 each. Took them back today, same vet pregged them and marked them 4 and 8 months.........LOL

Anyway, I netted $607 after commissions,

The saleyard has started Pregging a lot of cows coming in and they kinda dropped the price by having so many,

I think there's places closer to you than NE Oregon though,

Good Luck, if I had ample cash flow, I'd have kept these and calved them out. Cows wieghed 1040 on average, solid and broken mouth,

PPRM

PPRM said:
Jake,

I just sold some, lol.....

As I buy Butcher cows, I have them Pregged. Oct 4, I had two that pregged at 3 and 4 months. I paid $449 each. Took them back today, same vet pregged them and marked them 4 and 8 months.........LOL

Anyway, I netted $607 after commissions,

The saleyard has started Pregging a lot of cows coming in and they kinda dropped the price by having so many,

I think there's places closer to you than NE Oregon though,

Good Luck, if I had ample cash flow, I'd have kept these and calved them out. Cows wieghed 1040 on average, solid and broken mouth,

PPRM

thanks PPRM, I'm looking for some to put on stalks until they calve then turn them over as pairs if they are good enough or split them and weigh out the calf and take $200 for the calf. Was talking to a friend yesterday about some SS cows that sold near him for between $310-500. I'd have loved to be there. Nobody can tell me how it makes more sense to buy a calf for $600-800 for them to get sick and die on me when a cow is $650 or less and they won't get shipping fever 99 times out of 100.

Jake,

On these cheaper cows, just remember, they generally need nutritional help. I assume they came from someone not doing this, can be pleasantly surprised if they came from someone that is doing it right. I not only put good feed and mineral out for them, I also will do some other things. Vitamin shots and in our area , Multimin. We are short Selenium. Mutlimin has Selenium, Copper, Zinc and Magnesium.....If the cow is really poor, I might also give her a bag of Dextrose, and Calcium/Mag like you would for a cow with milk fever. I give this bag Interparetnially and/or Subcutaneously. Mainlining it on a healthy cow is a bad idea. If she is poor, I might give her some Probiotic to......I have found that there are enough good bred cows that don't need too much help that I don't waste my time with the really cheap ones.

300 dollar cows generally don't have good udders, are crippled or have lumps on the jaw....Keep your eyes open and be patient. If you do it right, you can make some money on older cows. Oh, stay out of the Northwest, Dan Van Lithe is enough competition for me on these, LOL,

Good Luck!

PPRM

Jason,

I just read your marketing plan..sounds good, there's some things I learned over time that may help if you can realize them early.

I have been there and am still doing this. The thing on the calves is generally you turn your money quicker. I calve these cows and look at pairs vs calf prices. I think, well, I will wean the calf and make more. Then I look at fats vs weaned calves and will think I can do better feeding calves out. Turns it into a 18 month proposition for me and generally I do make more. But it turns into a cash flow management deal I have to be vigilant on.

Here's the thing. Market these cattle. You will soon realize, some of these calves aren't going to gain. Sell them as roping calves in the spring, dry the cow up and sell her on the May/June Fat Cow market. On the rest, get ready to bunch like calves. If you can sell them in bunches of 7 or more, you will get more. On the ones that don't fit large bunches, private sale them to Backyarders looking to raise a Locker Beef. Same applies if you are selling Pairs. Bunch Similar cows and calvs according to Size, Age and Breed. When you buy thee cows, think of it in terms of the final marketing.

Think of these cows in terms of cost per pound to. You will salvage the cow soon. If I pay $650 on a 1000 pound bred cow, I am into her 65 cents a pound when I go to sell her as a butcher cow. If I do the same on a 1300 pound cow, I am into her at 50 cents per pound. Don't go extreme, you will feed more. And a good 1000 pound cow beats a poor 1300 pound cow anyday. But if you can get some good framy bred cows that will raise great calves and you can add condition to, you might need to find a bank with a larger vault, LOL

I haven't needed to yet, LOL

Good Luck! You will develop an eye for all of this,

PPRM

Jake said:
there any cheap older cows up in anybody's area? We've got some down home I'm thinking about picking up but I'd like to have 50-100 of $600-$650 bred cows.

Jake- I don't think you will find cheap ones up here this year-- friend of mine just got back from the sale in Miles City and said that short-termers were in the $800-850 range......

We have a bred sale coming up on the 8th- but it sounds like more buyers out there than sellers......

OT,

What are decent Butcher Cows going for there??? I don't know where Jake is from, are you two fairly close in proximity?

Here they are $42-45/cwt. So, a 1200 pound cow sells for around $480-550. I mention this because we are roounding near the anuual lows in Butcher Cow Prices. So, if I can find some cows that will gain, they will not only outgain calves, but they will gain value on a per pound basis.

I have read where something like 1/3 of butcher cows are packing a calf in thm. So in theory, I could buy these blindly and get 1/3 to give me coupons. With experince, I can boost this percent...

So, If the circles are priced right, I can feed the Cows and come up ok, I can preg them and generally do very well,

Just a thot,

PPRM

It was Jake that started this thread, not The Real Jake, who lives in NW South Dakota. I don't think The Real Jake is looking for any short term cows.

Which, BTW, we sold just 3 at Lemmon Livestock last Saturday and they brought $900. There is no good buys on short term cows right now, I don't believe.

Go to Lemmon Livestock.com and look at the market report. A man from this area that sells there year after year got $1650 for his bred heifers. I would call the whole thing one heck of a sale.

The farm is down in North Central Kansas. I'm really not looking for cows much less than $600. I can make a good chunk on a 1100# cow at $650 buy either selling her split to a packer and selling the calf back through the barns as graft calves or bottle babies. Those kind of calves bring between $200-350 around here depending on the size.

We've got good cheap feed in stalks and DDGs. We've got space for about 100 or so but would prefer about 50. The friend of mine from TN said they were good cattle selling there but I've got places closer to here I can buy decent cattle that will perform for what we're wanting.

I've got the wrong numbers in front of me, I'll have to see if I can find them.

Jake- (this could be confusing :wink: :???: ) You sure couldn't buy any kind of thrifty cow around here for much less than 800 dollars. Anything less would not net you much when you resold her. Salvage value is the main thing to look at on those old cows. If they have some frame, and you have feed that might be ok, but don't fool yourself buying a bunch of old shells. I would rather pay a bit more and have a good cow to resell than buy a cheap one that is hard to keep alive.

I do think you are on the right track though, as good broken mouth cows can be bought here for 8-950/ hd. and a good young cow might be 1500 or more. I would feel more comfortable with the good cheaper cows right now until we see where this market will go. Then you could roll them over into a younger cow if you desired. Not that I am wanting the market to hit the skids, or think that it will, but I am cautious by nature. :wink:

Now TRJ I'm not wanting to keep them so any amount over about $700 is too much capital invested in the venture because at that point we just as well buy a pen of calves again.

Hometowngirl - Do you have anymore info on the feedlot that lost 5000 hd

hometowngurl said:
not here in cherry co. and brown co. in Nebraska as the storm from this past mon caused snow drifts of 8-10 ft or more. One feed lot lost 5000 head or more. OUCH!! :( :eek:

are you sure??????????????????????

Jake if you are in North Central Kansas, check with Quinten at the Washington Sale Barn.
He will give you a good assesment of how things are moving.

pm me and I can get you his home number.

where at in kansas are you?

Geez guys you'd be better spending half that money up here for good cows and leaving them here on shares. 7-800 your money will get you some pretty sweet cows up north of the medicine line. As for broken mouth cows they barely trade as breds.

jigs said:
Jake if you are in North Central Kansas, check with Quinten at the Washington Sale Barn.
He will give you a good assesment of how things are moving.

pm me and I can get you his home number.

where at in kansas are you?

Already talking with Marvin. He's was talking about some cows up around Pierre, SD. We're in Morrowville. Have worked for and done a lot of business with the Bergstroms.

Where are you?

Latest posts