• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Check out our new Red Angus bull!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
I think this is one of the best Red Angus bulls I have seen in a long time. What do you all think. Take a look at his dam too. She really sold me on him.

10H.jpg

75R.jpg

That bull would be like what I'd pick to buy and bring home. Small head, smooth shoulders, and meat all the way along to a thick butt. Good buy!

Beautiful pair. Look to be moderate framed which I like. 2 questions. How much of their fleshing ability was due to 'groceries'. And second, what are the bull's #'s.

The bull was raised by OHR Red Angus in ND. They sold it in their bull sale last week. They still own the cow and will enter their donor program this spring. We bought possession and 1/4 semen interest in this guy and several other patners share in 1/4 semen interest. OHR kept 1/2 interest.

His weaning weight is 778lbs, Yearling weight is 1477lbs. He scanned a 16.3 inch REA and a 3.6% IMF. EPDs are:
BW 3.2
WW 43
YW 67
Milk 22
TM 43
ST 11

I really think his birth EPD will go down some. His sire is a -2 and dam is a 2. Their isn't any birth in his entire pedigree. His yearling will go up too, because his yearling info hasn't been turned in yet. He ratioed pretty high on the yearling. So once it is turned in it will go up quite a bit.

His dam is the fleshiest cow in their herd. I went through all of them. She is pretty easy keeping. They do get fed well, but not to much.

Just remeber that Karl Olson is one of the best fitters around. He can make a silk purse out of a sows ear any day.

SDSteve said:
Just remeber that Karl Olson is one of the best fitters around. He can make a silk purse out of a sows ear any day.
Karl, is that Ed's boy? You sure he's a fitter? The bull in the picture is sale clipped but he sure isn't fitted to a T.

I know, but I only live about 20 miles from them. I have been watching this cow for a few years now and watched the bull develop all year.

BRG we lost the cheat sheet for carcass what was the fat and ratio's on rib and IMF? I think he is a very complete and I wish he was cleaner fronted. It was a very nice purchase but are you sure that cow is big enough for you guys? What frame do you think the bull is.

Say hello to the mrs. for us!!!

Turkey Track Bar said:
BRG we lost the cheat sheet for carcass what was the fat and ratio's on rib and IMF? I think he is a very complete and I wish he was cleaner fronted. It was a very nice purchase but are you sure that cow is big enough for you guys? What frame do you think the bull is.

Say hello to the mrs. for us!!!
I think she looks big enough. How big is she? What does she weigh?

I framed the bull myself a week before the sale and he was right at a 6.8 Frame The cow is no smaller than a 6 but I don't think she is a 6.5 either. Don't remember what the backfat is, but he had a 16. 3 REA with a ratio of 125 and a IMF score of 3.62 with a ratio of 96.
I don't know the weight, but I would guess her at 1400 to 1450lbs. Extremely long bodied cow, woth loads of middle.

He does have a little hide up front, but I like a little hide. That ussually means performance, not always, but ussually.

BRG said:
I framed the bull myself a week before the sale and he was right at a 6.8 Frame The cow is no smaller than a 6 but I don't think she is a 6.5 either. Don't remember what the backfat is, but he had a 16. 3 REA with a ratio of 125 and a IMF score of 3.62 with a ratio of 96.
I don't know the weight, but I would guess her at 1400 to 1450lbs. Extremely long bodied cow, woth loads of middle.

He does have a little hide up front, but I like a little hide. That ussually means performance, not always, but ussually.
I don't hardly think the cow is a 6 to me. If she is she looks like she could weigh more than 1450. She's heavy. I have to have that kind of volume the cow displays. If I were to fault the bull it would be his heart girth. He IMHO, doesn't need any less heart girth. He's a good bull though and I would use him just because he's out of that dam and dakota.

She is at least a 6 frame but she may weigh more than that. I am not a good weight guesser but I did come within 5lbs of a chicken once. :D

BRG said:

I have never heard of that before. Where did you come up with that?

Have a good one

Lazy ace

Latest posts