• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Checkoff dollars and Foriegn Countries

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
Do we get checkoff dollars on every calf sent to the USA???? What about some checkoff funds for every so many pounds of meat imported???

I was reading another thread and OT said something to the effect of Canada surviving on the backs of markets we built. If you read my posts, you will realize that this isn't anti-import rhetoric. But I think it is a fair question.

The Beef Promotion is relatively cheap, and it benefits the sale of all types of Beef, so shouldn't everyone selling Beef in the USA contribute. It should ultimately help us all,

PPRM

PPRM said:
Do we get checkoff dollars on every calf sent to the USA???? What about some checkoff funds for every so many pounds of meat imported???

I was reading another thread and OT said something to the effect of Canada surviving on the backs of markets we built. If you read my posts, you will realize that this isn't anti-import rhetoric. But I think it is a fair question.

The Beef Promotion is relatively cheap, and it benefits the sale of all types of Beef, so shouldn't everyone selling Beef in the USA contribute. It should ultimately help us all,

PPRM

PPRM, yes, the Beef Checkoff is required to be paid on ALL imported live cattle, and the live weight equivalent of processed beef.

I do not know if the ten day exemption for cattle traders exists on imported cattle or beef.

You can get the answer by emailing [email protected], or [email protected].

They will hand your question off to the compliance officer if they do not have the answer. I'm embarrassed that I cannot give you his name. It slips my mind at the moment.

MRJ

MRJ

Thanks MRJ,

I was thinking today how I'd feel about beef promotion dollars being colected if I sold cows into another country. I'd be glad to as it would help the market in the market I am going into,

PPRM

I visited with a member of the beef board and asked him about the foreigners on the board and their contributions. He told me the foreigners didn't like having to be part of the checkoff and would rather be excluded - they didn't feel they were getting their money's worth.

Sandhusker said:
I visited with a member of the beef board and asked him about the foreigners on the board and their contributions. He told me the foreigners didn't like having to be part of the checkoff and would rather be excluded - they didn't feel they were getting their money's worth.

Sandhusker- Monte Reese told me the same thing about two weeks ago when I talked with him-- he said that he had been meeting with foreign groups that were talking a suit because they didn't think they were getting their money's worth.....

My advice was- tell them to keep their checkoff and their beef and use all the checkoff to advertise USA-RAISED BEEF......

CCMP now has the USA-RAISED BEEF bumperstickers, window decals, gate signs and banners available for sale--Just filled out my order for them....

Wow,

That just amazes me Sandhusker....But I guess maybe they don't have the same capitalistic outlook we do.....I mean, cripes my Advertising Budget is $1.50 per calf sold to IBP, hmmmmmm...$1.50 per $1100...... A lot of businesses would love to have that,LOL

PPRM

BTW, I've heard most, if not all importers are US citizens.

Does anyone have information to the contrary?

I understand the procedure of importing feeder cattle and selling to, or owning them, through a feedlot and selling to a packer, but how is the imported boxed beef and other imported beef products handled?

That is an area I believe most ranchers know little about unless directly involved. Wouldn't it be good to have more information about that part of the beef trade?

MRJ

Latest posts