• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Checkoff question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker

Reaction score
Why do the checkoff-funded ads in foreign countries have a red, white, and blue United States logo on them, but that same logo is omitted on domestic ads?

"All EU beef products, effective January 1 of 2002, must be labeled with the country of animal's birth, country/countries of feeding/fattening, reference number linking the meat to an animal or group of animals, country of slaughter and establishment number of the slaughterhouse, country/countries of cutting and approval number of cutting plant(s), and a label with the country of origin. Ground beef labels must have a traceability code, location of the slaughter member state, and member state of preparation. Japan has implemented full traceability within its domestic beef industry, with country of origin labeling required at retail meat counters.
Australian producers apply a registered tail tag number identifying the ranch on all cattle leaving that ranch. A temporary tail tag moves with the animal and then with the carcass to the end of the dressing line. Carcass tickets are affixed to each side of the carcasses for sorting by lots in the coolers and fabrication according to a production schedule. Carcasses, quarters, and boxed cuts are labeled after cutting with the establishment number and a date of packing to provide tracing of carcasses and cuts to the tail tag and ranch of origin"

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=cache:i91igwi37NkJ:www.ams.usda.gov/tmd/FSMIP/FY2000/LA0306.pdf+USA+labels+on+beef+in+foreign+countries

fedup2 said:
"All EU beef products, effective January 1 of 2002, must be labeled with the country of animal's birth, country/countries of feeding/fattening, reference number linking the meat to an animal or group of animals, country of slaughter and establishment number of the slaughterhouse, country/countries of cutting and approval number of cutting plant(s), and a label with the country of origin. Ground beef labels must have a traceability code, location of the slaughter member state, and member state of preparation. Japan has implemented full traceability within its domestic beef industry, with country of origin labeling required at retail meat counters.
Australian producers apply a registered tail tag number identifying the ranch on all cattle leaving that ranch. A temporary tail tag moves with the animal and then with the carcass to the end of the dressing line. Carcass tickets are affixed to each side of the carcasses for sorting by lots in the coolers and fabrication according to a production schedule. Carcasses, quarters, and boxed cuts are labeled after cutting with the establishment number and a date of packing to provide tracing of carcasses and cuts to the tail tag and ranch of origin"

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=cache:i91igwi37NkJ:www.ams.usda.gov/tmd/FSMIP/FY2000/LA0306.pdf+USA+labels+on+beef+in+foreign+countries

That must be costing them a huge fortune- since NCBA and USDA say just to pass a law prohibiting packers and retailers from cutting off or removing the labeling the imported meat has on it when it enters the country would be unjustifiably costly :wink: Our USDA and NCBA wouldn't fib to us now would they :???:

Must be product of Mexico stamps are much more costly than the USDA stamp :?

That must be costing them a huge fortune- since NCBA and USDA say just to pass a law prohibiting packers and retailers from cutting off or removing the labeling the imported meat has on it when it enters the country would be unjustifiably costly Our USDA and NCBA wouldn't fib to us now would they

Must be product of Mexico stamps are much more costly than the USDA stamp

Or, they have determined that the quality sold in those export markets will recognize the value of buying US/Canadian product by the advertising done. It may cost more by advertising by such companies, but the payback is greater.

Would the payback vs. cost be the same within North America?, I'm sure they know how it would relate to sales! They've probably determined that the product is the same whether from Canada, or the Northern States and marketed accordingly, considering loyality and cost.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Say Sandhusker could you post a couple of these ads. I haven't seen any in Canada. Thanks in advance as I know the post got a bit side tracked.

I don't think I can. Take a look at the 2004 annual report of the beefboard - page 14. www.beefboard.org?

Sandhusker, to answer your question re. advertising U.S. beef abroad.....we don't export imported beef, so the checkoff is not being selective when using a logo refering to the U.S. As in U.S. Meat Export Federation, which coordinates the foreign promotion and information efforts for the checkoff.

OT Can you admit there may be more to labeling imported beef than simply leaving on the label required for importation?

Isn't most of such boxed beef further processed or broken down into smaller cuts.....steaks, roasts, etc.? And wouldn't each of those pieces or packages require separate labels? What of the probablility that many boxes could be brought into that processing facility and the primal cuts would be grouped, possibly involving meats from more than one country?

I'm not saying it couldn't be done........only that it most likely is not as simple, nor as inexpensive as you want us to believe it would be.

And, of course, you totally ignore the fact that most imported beef would not be labeled because it goes through the restaurant, food service, and prepared or processed foods routes rather than into the retail markets.

Most importantly, real food safety benefits of labeling would require ALL beef, imported and domestic, to be labeled with ranch of origin and notation of every stop the animal made in the route from ranch to consumer. Anything less is perpetrating the fraud of pretending there is increased food safety because of the label. Unless and until there is absolutely no chance of any foodborne illness in USA beef.

MRJ

MRJ- what if some really really bad disease comes in on imported meat from country X and they need to do a recall. Are you saying they can't keep track of where imported X beef went, so will have to do a recall on all meat :?

MRJ, "Sandhusker, to answer your question re. advertising U.S. beef abroad.....we don't export imported beef, so the checkoff is not being selective when using a logo refering to the U.S. As in U.S. Meat Export Federation, which coordinates the foreign promotion and information efforts for the checkoff. "

That's not my question, MRJ. I'm asking why is there a logo refering to the US in the first place?

Sandhusker, was that a US Meat Export Federation ad you are talking about?

USMEF has many sources of funding.....government, various commodity programs, including beef, and advertises those commodities in foreign countries, so I'm wondering if the USMEF logo is what you refer to? I could not find it on the link you posted.

rancher, no, what I'm saying is that labeling ONLY imported beef is not as simple nor as inexpensive as some people make it out to be. I'm also saying that labeling and traceability should be on ALL beef, not just imported. It appears that the US beef has been the culprit in most recalls in recent years, hasn't it? I'm also saying that due to the current labeling of the boxes of imported beef, that it would be somewhat easier to trace back right now, as compared to the US beef with no identification required of it.

MRJ

MRJ said:

USMEF has many sources of funding.....government, various commodity programs, including beef, and advertises those commodities in foreign countries, so I'm wondering if the USMEF logo is what you refer to? I could not find it on the link you posted.

rancher, no, what I'm saying is that labeling ONLY imported beef is not as simple nor as inexpensive as some people make it out to be. I'm also saying that labeling and traceability should be on ALL beef, not just imported. It appears that the US beef has been the culprit in most recalls in recent years, hasn't it? I'm also saying that due to the current labeling of the boxes of imported beef, that it would be somewhat easier to trace back right now, as compared to the US beef with no identification required of it.

MRJ

How can you tell if it has been US beef that is recalled, most of it is hamburger and we know it might have 15,000 different cows in it. How do we know it was US beef?

MRJ said:

MRJ

It was page 14 of the 2004 Beef Board annual report. They are showing an ad used in Japan. Actually there are two logos - the US and a cartoon cow.

mj..."Sandhusker, to answer your question re. advertising U.S. beef abroad.....we don't export imported beef, so the checkoff is not being selective when using a logo refering to the U.S. As in U.S. Meat Export Federation, which coordinates the foreign promotion and information efforts for the checkoff. "

How do you know we do not export imported beef mj? Are you telling us they can keep it seperate if they want to?

Tommy,

CAN YOU PROVIDE ANY CASE OF MISUSE OF CHECKOFF DOLLARS?

Yes or no?

Rancher,

When there is a ecoli. recall, all beef is recalled from that plant and USDA starts testing beef backwards from the point of contamination to find the source of contamination. If it was an ecoli recall from a mixed batch of ground beef, the individual batches that contributed to the mixed batch are tested to find the source of contamination. If it's an isolated case, there will be no contamination found in the individual batches. If it's not an isolated case, contamination should be found in the individual sources of ground beef that made up the individual batches. At that point proper action can be taken to ban the source of contamination. Either way, USDA will go through the proper procedures to determine the source of contamination.

~SH~

If it's not an isolated case, contamination should be found in the individual sources of ground beef that made up the individual batches. At that point proper action can be taken to ban the source of contamination.

So they can trace back individual sources for e-coli, but not for labeling? :???: :?

Rancher: "So they can trace back individual sources for e-coli, but not for labeling?"

THEY CAN'T TRACE IT IF IT'S NOT CONTAMINATED RANCHER.

THINK!!!!!

They can only trace to the source of contamination IF ITS NOT AN ISOLATED CASE.

Testing for ecoli to find the source of contamination is hardly comparable to labeling beef to it's origin WHEN CONSUMERS AREN'T EVEN ASKING FOR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN LABELING. If they were, they could buy source verified beef. I see Angus Gene Net is now giving a $6 per head premium for source verified cattle. DRIVEN BY THE FREE ENTERPRISE SYSTEM INSTEAD OF A FLAWED GOVERNMENT MANDATE. What a concept!

~SH~

SH...Tommy,

CAN YOU PROVIDE ANY CASE OF MISUSE OF CHECKOFF DOLLARS?

Yes or no?

Scott I did not say there was a misuse of checkoff dollars, those are your words, not mine. I said state beef councils send money to the NCBA with no strings attached, that they do not have to contract for.

If there is no misuse of checkoff dollars, what's the problem Tommy???

~SH~

Latest posts