• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cheyenne Frontier Days

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cleland

Reaction score
We are heading to CFD rodeo this week. Staying in Laramie, are there any other attractions or shops in the area to visit? We will be coming across I-80 from Eastern KS. Just looking for ideas, we don't have any plans except the rodeo. If anyone knows anything else to do clue me in.
Thanks

There's great scenery all the way across NE, imo. Pioneer museum at Grand Island, or close. may not have the town correct.

Lake McConahey (sp?) not far north of Ogalla, the original Cabellas' at Sidney, Kimball and Mitchell are nice little towns near the WY border. I've read of a cool book store/coffee shop near the border that might have some good pie..........if it has survived since I heard about maybe a year ago. I haven' t personally gone through that are for a couple of years but will be doing so on the 25th.

We are going to NCBA mid-year mtg. in Denver for two days before going back to Cheyenne for final two days of rodeo........something we have enjoyed for at least 20 years, come drought, flood(last year!) or whatever. Seeing a little of CFD has been our 'real' vacation!

There is a lot to see in Cheyenne, too. History, shopping, good steaks. Laramie, same story. The scenery is my favorite thing, though. Hope it hasn't ALL burned up.

We are smelling lots of smoke this morning. sure hoping it is from the fires at Rosebud, and not a new one!

With so many praying for rain, I'm surprised we haven't gotten enough to help put out all those fires. But, we do have to be patient and keep praying.

mrj

PS, if you REALLY want an overdose of rodeo and other horse events, there are quite a few opportunities to watch slack, team penning events, etc, but I'm not sure how you find them except by going to the fair grounds and asking around.

mrj

The Gateway Arch on 80 just east of Kearney is pretty neat to tour. Pioneer Village at Minden is a good place to go through as well.

The Cabela's at Sidney is pretty awesome. I haven't been there in 15-20 years, though, since the Kearney store is only an hour from me. My kids would say: Cody Go-Karts in North Platte!

Have a good time and enjoy yourself. We will be headed to Loveland a week from today for a few days of meetings and R&R.

I know its a little out of the the way but worth the trip if you like grasslands and ranches, Highway 2 from Alliance to Grand Island is a scenic drive.

Vedawoo between Cheyenne and Laramie is a popular hiking/picnic spot. Saratoga Hot Springs are further west out of your way but I'm told are good. The Cabelas in Sydney is good. There's an old prison on the west side of Laramie that's a popular tourist attraction (haven't been there, closed during school year) and the Ivinson mansion in Laramie that's another neat spot to tour (have been there). Other than that... actually haven't been to CFD; I lived in the area for undergrad but wasn't around in the summers.

milkmaid said:
Vedawoo between Cheyenne and Laramie is a popular hiking/picnic spot. Saratoga Hot Springs are further west out of your way but I'm told are good. The Cabelas in Sydney is good. There's an old prison on the west side of Laramie that's a popular tourist attraction (haven't been there, closed during school year) and the Ivinson mansion in Laramie that's another neat spot to tour (have been there). Other than that... actually haven't been to CFD; I lived in the area for undergrad but wasn't around in the summers.
old pen was used for livestock bar when I was in College.took my oldest down years ago for a Cowboy sheep game and we went tru a haunted pentatenty one night

is the Remount ranch between cheyenne and laramie still functioning. last i heard it was a purebred longhorn outfit. still a historical site? Mary O Hara's my friend Flicka series was one of my favourite's

Latest posts