• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chill your blood

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
Mostly around here in the late evening you will hear the cows bawling a bit or a few birds winding it down for the day.

But lately there's been another critter out making itself heard. It lets out the most blood-curdling scream we have ever heard. Sounds like tomcat on steroids looking for a fight. Sometimes it carries on in a prolonged mega-tomcat howl and others it just gives short screams that sounds like a girl screaming for help.

Might be a bobcat or cougar. The MNR says we don't have any cougars around here but a lot of people have reported hearing this critter and also a few sightings. Of course if the MNR didn't see it or a photograph of it, it doesn't exist.

Kinda makes the hair stand up on the back of the neck! It's usually coming from the swamp about about 300 yards from our front porch.

My guess is a cougar (not the kind Hay Maker talks about!) If the experts say it is not there is it then OK to shoot it? A couple of dogs that like to chase barn cats will put it up a tree. :wink:

Yes it could be a fox. They are plentiful around here and have denned up in our one sandhill in the past. The frequency of the sound would make me think it might be a fox since I think cats travels around a bit more.

It sure sounds similar to the video, but it also sounds much like the cougar or bobcat recordings as well. I'm just surprised that a fox could generate the stunning volume that we hear from this animal. I'm telling you, when this thing lets loose it has your full, sit-right-up attention!

Foxes are welcome here, the others, not so much!

Faster horses said:
I've never heard a cougar (used to think I wanted to, but I've since
changed my mind :p ) but I have always heard that the sound they
make, makes the hair stand right up on your neck.

Let us know if you find out what it is, if you don't mind.

Cougar's just sound like ordinary women :D

4Diamond said:
Faster horses said:

:liar:

:gag:

:wave:

Whatever it is it sure doesn't sound friendly. :shock: Be careful out there.

I've been packin' iron with me since Wednesday when I saw a large male mountain lion. I was coming home up the lane from co. rd. when it jumped out of the brush and ran up the lane in front of me, into the yard and hid under the combine. I went and got my CAR (cowboy assault rifle):wink: but it slipped away and didn't see it again.

Sorry about that I think you are hearing my 10 month old daughter. She seems to have found a new pitch to her squeal and is using it frequently. :wink:

hope it gets better for you

have a cold one

lazy ace

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You might be on to something, lazy ace. Now that you mention it,
our daughter could make noises that would send chills up your back!!
The good part of that came later, she's a beautiful singer with a great
range. Betcha your daughter is practicing for a singing career... :lol: :lol: :lol:

4Diamond said:
Faster horses said:

Yep-- scream just like an ordinary woman in her "old witch mode"... Will make the hair on your neck stand up wherever you are-- and if in the wrong place at the wrong time will leave you wetting your pants...

The last situation observation was while at 12 years of age - on foot in heavy timber- a couple of miles from home just as the sun went down- a week after I had one run right in front of me-- one decided to scream at the top of her lungs...... :roll: :shock: I guarantee you can run some pretty good 2 mile times.. :lol:
The thing is if you have lions around- they can show up anywhere- and when you least expect them...Be walking down a creek bottom- and get an uneasy feeling- backtrack- and find a cat track following you.....

gcreekrch said:
Need loan of my pipe Burnt? :lol:

I don't smoke a pipe . . .

Oh THAT pipe!

Well I'd have to see the critter first and so far I haven't seen what's making the racket! Otherwise, of course you know I'd want that pipe. :wink: :lol:

Faster horses said:

Well let me tell you sumpin' honey - the racket that thing makes, I ain't never about to go huntin for to see if I can see it! So unless it comes to me, I won't ever know what it is!

And if it does come my way, I hope to be holding more than GCreek's cat-clubbing binder roller! Paint me a coward if you like, but if that thing would ever let loose with one of those screams behind me I'm pretty sure I'd drop over dead with fright! :shock: :nod:

(Yanuck, I might need a "just messed my pants" emoticon :lol: )

We used to have a mountain lion go through. The cats were agitated and one time I had a colt in a fairly large pen. I could always catch him and he was really gentle, but after the cat went through he was always really hard to catch. Next to impossible in a large pen.... And amigo would sit and whine at the door. But if you opened up the door to let him out..... He wouldn't go out..

Latest posts