• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

chinks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

What are you tryin' to do smalltime, start a fight? :wink:

I have and wear at different times of the year, chinks and leggin's and woolies.

When it's wet and warm, I prefer chinks.

When it's wet and cold, I prefer woolies.

When it's just cool, I prefer leggin's.

When it's hot or in the branding corral I prefer chinks.

Chinks are probably the best all around, when you can only afford or only want one pair.

I have a pair of chinks now that are good for all around. They are made from a scottish highlander. The long hair on them keeps the hot off in the summer, wet off in spring and fall and makes them warmer in the winter.

Traditionally, bucaroo's wore chinks and cowboys wore leggin's or batwings. But in our "smaller" world now, things have gotten mixed up a lot more.

There are lots more slick fork saddles in this country than their used to be. Lots more mule hide on horns and less rubber. Lots of cowboys wearing chinks. For all of the reasons mentioned in the previous post.

I have a neighbor who hates flat brimmed hats and says we should all wear what we wore as kids and not change our styles. I just got a new book of all of LA Huffmans pictures from 1880 to 1920's and most of them fellers wore flat brim hats with about half or better having some shape to the crown of the hat. Charlie Russel got to Montana the same time as Huffman and used many of Huffmans pictures as reference material, They were good friends. Look at the hats that Charlie painted. Everyone know that ol' Charlie didn't lie!

The pictures I see of when we was kids, we all wore low crowned hats with the brims looking like syrup pitchers! So evidentley, somewhere along the way, we have changed styles! Don't see many like that now, unless on a dude.

Some wear flat brimmed hats as rememberance of them good ol' hands who came before and to pay them tribute and honor them.

I notice that people who are insecure, are quick to find fault with anything different than what they do or wear or use. :wink:

Yikes for a minute there Jinglebob I pictured you in the chinks,leggings and woolies ALL at same time :shock: :lol:

A- Men to every thing you said Jinglebob. I wear my leggins in the fall and winter. And wear my chinks in the late spring and summer. For all the others out in the cowboy world trying to decide which to wear just remember it's not what your wearin it's what you can do.

Is that insecure thing why I get teased all the time?I thought maybe it was because I was funny looking.Thanks JB.It's good to be vindicated. :wink:

Mrs.Greg said:
Yikes for a minute there Jinglebob I pictured you in the chinks,leggings and woolies ALL at same time :shock: :lol:

Momma seem to like that look on me.

:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock:

:roll:

:oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

I am insecure enough that I'll just stick to my old shotgun chaps, thanks. When it is too hot to wear them, it's also too hot to wear chinks. If it's cold enough to wear either, it's cold enough to wear the shotguns. Besides, us ol' pot-bellied fellers look funny in chinks or flat-brimmed hats. I just hate this insecure feeling. :wink:

By the way, when it is darned cold out, insulated bib overalls and a warm cap with ear-flappers are just plumb the cat's meow. Another thing that doesn't much glamorize the "cowboy way" is a good pair of LaCrosse lace-up boot overshoes, but it's sure nice having warm dry feet. Besides, I am the guy who leaves his spurs hanging in the barn if I think my mount for the day is going to buck. Those dang spurs have gotten me into more trouble than they have ever prevented. If I grip my legs tight, the spurs gouge the horse which further antagonizes him, making him buck harder, which greatly enhances my chances of biting the dust. Since I am the guy with the camera, it doesn't matter if my appearance doesn't quite fit the cowboy image. :wink:

I leave my spurs hanging on the wall all the time.I always thought spurs were for lazy horses. In recent years I have been lucky enough to ride horses that didn't need any encouragement in the movement department.

Jack finally found something to keep his feet warm. It is MUCKS. And they make a bigger stirrup so the mucks will fit in them.

His feet are like clumps of ice in the winter. He always said he could never be a real cowboy because his feet just get too daggum cold. :wink: The MUCKS have made a big difference.

We have some electric socks he can put on when he gets in the house if his feet are cold from wearing his boots and overboots. Otherwise, it takes forever for his feet to thaw out.

Even while wearing my "fake sheepskin" lined LaCrosse lace-up boot overshoes, my feet sometimes get cold with me just watching other cowhands in action. These hard-core cowpokes can be seen wearing high-heeled leather cowboy boots and dragging heavy steel spurs through six inches of new wet snow. They are a whole lot tougher than me. :wink: :shock: :)

On the urging(is that a word) of a young cowboy, new to this area who worked in a feedlot for a couple of years, I bought a pair of Whites, winter Laceup's. They have felt liners and sure are warm. I leave the laces loose so they will slip on and off like my boots(thats why we wear boots, so they will slip off if we hang up in a strirrup). I should maybe get a bigger pair of stirrups to wear them in, in the winter, but I believe they will slip in and out of my 4 1/2 inch bells anyway.

I made a pair of Tapadero's several years ago and am amazed at the difference they make. No they are not lined, just plain leather. And I too wear overboots. If I need spurs on a horse, I probably ain't ridin' him when it's cold or wet enough for overboots. Tho' I think I could get a pair to fit the lace ups.

"Spurs were intended to raise and legthen the stride of the horse". Sometimes they can get too long and too high! :lol:

And a swat on the butt with my romal usually gets a lazy one to payin' attention and not bein' so lazy! :lol:

:) I like justin lace up shoes mink oiled up with extra socks and loosly tied so in the event of a wreck with a horse my foot would slip right out. I'm with soapweed on a cold day i like insulated bibs but i wear a hooded sweatshirts hood on my head. I'm not into looking western I'm into being warm. :wink:

I was amazed at how warm a good pair of angora chaps are. With a wool shirt and a good carhart coat and my silk scarf and earflappers on my WARM felt hat, I can take quite a bit. Wore coveralls and then bibs for quite a few years and if I am going to be afoot, will still wear some bibs(lets see, where in the heck did I leave those darn things! Honey!) then, but don't like the way they bind on me. I hate them long coats that get between me and the cantle too, when I am riding.

One of the nice things about running a yearling stocker program on summer grass, is I usually don't have to ride very much when it get real cold out. But I've done enough of it to have kind'a figured out a way to get by. :wink:

The "real" cowboy never gaves a damn how he looks as long as he gets the job done!'
I woulld never ride a colt or a bronc without spurs,Also my spurs stay where my saddle is.!!!!!!
'

I have a habit of loosing my vanity in October and not finding it until April or May.

Latest posts