• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Christmas Blizzard

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Looks like Colorado, Nebraska and parts of the midwest are predicted for a Christmas Blizzard...

We're predicted to have a chance to get between 2 and 8 inches of snow in the next couple of days-- with winds and drifting on Wed--but it looks like the really nasty stuff will go around us....

Everybody better fill the woodbox..... :wink:

Blizzard to Take Dead Aim at Plains, Midwest
Updated: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:16 AM

A storm unloading up to a foot over the mountains of the Four Corners region, including in Flagstaff, will shift into the Plains and intensify into a blizzard later in the week. This major snowstorm will hit areas from the central Plains into the Upper Midwest with hefty snow and wind gusts up to 60-70 mph by late Christmas Eve into Christmas Day.

Massive blowing and drifting will create whiteout conditions that could last for several hours in some communities. Areas from Omaha to Sioux Falls and the Twin Cities could all be in the heart of the storm.

Portions of eastern Kansas and eastern South Dakota will easily be buried by a foot of snow, perhaps up to 2 feet of snow.

However, some areas along or just south and east of the storm will have mixing at the onset of the storm, keeping snow totals down. The track of the storm will be watched closely to see who gets all snow, a wintry mix, or rain.

Interstates 29, 80, and 90 will be severely impacted by the blizzard. Some stretches of the highways may even be closed for a time.
http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&article=0

It's snowing like mad here right now! We should set up a Ranchers.net weather network. We couldn't do worse than the guessers on tv! BBR could holler when it hits him in California and then we could stagger it across the country! Hope ya'll get hunkered down with a good fire and some hot chocolate. Feed enough for a couple of days and your family nearby! Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Forecast is all over the map here. In my neck of the woods, the forecast for Thursday is rain and 33, down in SW Iowa, were I want to travel to, the forecast is heavy snow and 33 :???:

Getting light snow- and is foggy here....Temp of 22...

My sister who is flying in from Texas just called-- too much fog in Billings to land- so they landed in Bozeman and are bussing them to Billings :roll: - and hopefully she can fly in here on the flight later today...Other option is rent a car in Billings and drive up tonight...

Everybody better fill the woodbox- mix a toddy and stay close to the fireplace.....I took Leanin H's advice and jerked a few days hay out of the stacks and put in the yard- in case they get blowed in...Usually always can find some place thats blowed open to feed...

Plumb nasty here this morning....Snowing- Blowing about 30 mph our of the NW...The old girls weren't too anxious to come out of their holes this morning when I fed-even if I did try to feed them out of the wind..

Radar looks like the snow is about past us...I hope so- and the visibility gets good enough they can land a plane here- as they cancelled the flights in last night...Roads are pretty nasty too with the drifting....

Temp is only 8 degrees and on the way to 10-15 Below for tonight....

Hope you all stay safe and warm thru that blizzard. And Wish all of you a Merry CHIRSTmas.

It's about 60 degrees here with 70% chance of rain...it's been rainin off and on for two days....nice and muddy. But last night on a trip to town to do some shopping...we seen SNAKES out on the road!!!!! :shock:

Well, hallelujah, there's one good thing about being in a blizzard:

NO SNAKES :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's our weather forecast:
Currently it is 16 degrees with a 19 mph wind. :shock:
BAKER... BROADUS... EKALAKA 926 AM MST WED DEC 23 2009 ... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM MST THURSDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM MST THURSDAY.

* SNOW WILL INCREASE THIS MORNING WITH A PERIOD OF HEAVIER SNOWFALL EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON.

* GUSTY WINDS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT CAUSING AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES.

* TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED BEFORE TAPERING OFF AROUND MIDNIGHT.

* COLDER TEMPERATURES WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA WITH TEMPERATURES FALLING THROUGH THE TEENS... AND BOTTOMING OUT NEAR ZERO BY THURSDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

My son and four other drivers went about 70 miles to Weyburn this morning for loads of contaminated dirt. The loads were called off so they had breakfast at the truck stop and had to drive home in the storm. He was happy to be home cause it wasn't very nice out there this morning

Got around 4-6" of snow here this morning. Had black ice all over the place from a freezing rain a couple of days ago. Tons of wrecks everywhere.
Go check out the NOAA weather page and see what is going on in the Pacific.

The wind is blowing good and it just started to snow here in NW Iowa at 3 pm. We have the generator ready to go if needed and I already have set water aside just in case rural water has problems. I can't go with out my coffee. Everyone stay safe.

Went Christmas shopping in Rapid and was foggy and rainy the whole day. Was slick in some areas. Yesterday was foggy and the lines are heavy with ice ground is and was slick. Lost REA last night and today. Going to be really nasty. And starting to snow with some wind. Might be along time with out REA. It went out again just now so have to hurry and post this...

i'm sure glad we don't have any more snow than we do, or it would be a full blown blizzard. electricity has flickered a few times this afternoon. there are some awfully low hanging power lines with all the frost. tractor and generator are on stand-by

11AM- my sister called and said they were sitting on the runway waiting for clearance to take off- which would put them in here about 12:30...Noon I headed to town to pick her up- just got pulling into town- phone rang- they were waiting at least another 1/2 hour to let conditions clear....Went ahead and stayed in town- did what little shopping I needed to do- and then went to the Waterhole to trade lies and stories....1/2 hour later my phone rang- and they were being taken off the taxiway to de-ice.... :roll: Finally at 3:00PM she called and said she was in Wolf Point and would be in Glasgow within the hour...
I got there a minute or two before the plane was landing- got the sister picked up- but her luggage had to be all left in Billings because of the reduced weight they needed to take off in the storm- will follow later tonight....
But at least we got her here (first Christmas back home in 17 years) and she can help out with all the wedding paranoia involving the sons wedding :roll: .....Kind of a culture shock for her coming out of Texas- as when she called her husband this morning who had to stay and work the holidays (pilot) - he was sitting on their deck drinking coffee in 70+ temps... :shock:

Snow quit about 2PM- wind has really dropped- skies have cleared- but now the temp is plummetting downward....2 Below- on the way to 20 Below tonight.... :(

Oldtimer said:
11AM- my sister called and said they were sitting on the runway waiting for clearance to take off- which would put them in here about 12:30...Noon I headed to town to pick her up- just got pulling into town- phone rang- they were waiting at least another 1/2 hour to let conditions clear....Went ahead and stayed in town- did what little shopping I needed to do- and then went to the Waterhole to trade lies and stories....1/2 hour later my phone rang- and they were being taken off the taxiway to de-ice.... :roll: Finally at 3:00PM she called and said she was in Wolf Point and would be in Glasgow within the hour...
I got there a minute or two before the plane was landing- got the sister picked up- but her luggage had to be all left in Billings because of the reduced weight they needed to take off in the storm- will follow later tonight....
But at least we got her here (first Christmas back home in 17 years) and she can help out with all the wedding paranoia involving the sons wedding :roll: .....Kind of a culture shock for her coming out of Texas- as when she called her husband this morning who had to stay and work the holidays (pilot) - he was sitting on their deck drinking coffee in 70+ temps... :shock:

Snow quit about 2PM- wind has really dropped- skies have cleared- but now the temp is plummetting downward....2 Below- on the way to 20 Below tonight.... :(

Glad you got her safely to your house OT,hope yall have a nice Christmas,yup she left some nice weather behind,70's here today,but storms tonite and then cold for Christmas.
good luck

Plain rain here tonight and most of tomorrow, changing to snow late in the day. The NWS is calling for 9-12 inches of snow from tomorrow night-Saturday, much more snow in Western Iowa & NW Iowa

Northern Iowa is a mess tonight with freezing rain.

Hate not being able to go home from Christmas, but getting back to the Des Moines area Friday night for the in-law's Christmas on Saturday which is iffy at best would've been a major pain, if not impossible.

Well while ya'll are havin blizzards up north....we are havin thunderstorms down here in the south....along with Tornado Watch in affect until 6 am in the mornin.... :?

Haven't seen anymore snakes tho...I think they drowned...it's been pourin all afternoon and this evenin.

It's pouring rain here and 40 degrees, a cold rain tonight. Supposed to turn colder tomorrow and change over to snow but I don't think we'll get the blizzard conditions they are calling for further north.

Latest posts