• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cinch Jeans?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I write a little poetry from time to time. I wrote this one in 1986 and read it in a high school FFA talent show. It was addressed to a bunch of wanna be cowboys who dressed the part but couldn't tell the difference between come here and sic em'

So ya wanna be a cowboy, you've bought some boots and a belt, you've even got some fancy cologne, 'bout the worst stuff I've ever smelt.

Ya think you're a real live buckaroo, and duded up for the dance. Well why don't ya come to the party? You ain't never even been on a ranch!

You've never had to rope a steer or ever mend a fence, and from what I've heard around the town, folks say your mostly dense.

Ya drive around in a four by four just waving at the girls, but underneath your cowboy hat is a bleached and wavy bunch of curls!

A shirt and spotless pair of boots may be cowboy gear it's true, but pal I kinda giggle when I see them worn by you!

It's like putting lipstick on a pig and it just don't make much sense. And I hate to rain on your parade or throw a monkey wrench......

But dressed up playing cowboy don't make a hill of beans,
Until ya live the life and earn your spurs, it's just chasing little boy dreams.

Eight seconds in an arena is a feat I love to see,
But daylight to dark, hot or cold, for fifty years is True Cowboy to me.

Some rodeo cowboys are amazing hands and welcome on any ranch, but most are too dang busy trying to keep the dirt off their pants.

So don't mistake a cowboy for a Feller playing a part,
Clothes don't make the man, it's about character and heart.

So now you are a cowboy? Well, you can go to heck!
You wouldn't make a pimple on a real cowboys neck
😁

H'

PS- no offense meant. But these are truly my thoughts. I've known a handfull of great cowboys who also rodeoed. But I have know and still know plenty who wouldn't last ten minutes working a ranch job. Cody next time ya reminisce about your glory days in an arena, take a minute and picture roping that same steer on a sage brush flat with a 12 foot wash running down one side and add a few boulders in for fun. It's a completely different universe. I respect the hell out of rodeo athletes and they ability they have. But it's a narrow skill set that rarely translates to actual ranch work.

Well, looks like this thread has gotten off-topic some, but I will say this:

I've never been a rancher, but did help my step-dad on his small hog farm during my high school years.

The guys I knew in Timed Events, had regular jobs and, from what I knew, never gave "ranching" a thought. We all had good paying jobs and done our "fun" on the weekends. But, there are certain PRCA rodeo cowboys that do help out on the family ranch, when they can and have time for it. Miss Rodeo America, Jordan Tierney, and her PRCA Timed Event brothers work their family ranch in So. Dakota and she has posted numerous pictures on Facebook showing them doing it.

The first rancher my wife ever met was a Ranch Foreman that was roping at a USTRC event in Pueblo, CO. We didn't meet them, but went to a ranch rodeo in CO Springs some years ago.

Many part-time/weekend rodeo cowboys just dawn the Wrangler jeans, boots and hat on weekends to hit the arena, go to the after-rodeo dance or to a nightclub when the rodeo season has not yet started. That was me and the guys I knew. Construction, law enforcement, law, electronics manufacturing, whatever our career was, on the weekends, following part of a Circuit, we were cowboys.........the rodeo type, nothing more, nothing less!

And, actually, I didn't realize there was so much animosity towards rodeo cowboys as I've seen in this forum. We aren't "wannabees" cowboys, being the fact of what we know and do or have done in the arena. We don't drive Tonka trucks with huge wheels. How can we and pull a horse trailer?

Yes, there are plenty of "wannabees" out there and I've met them. One guy even had an empty can of Copenhagen in his rear pocket. I really thought he "dipped", so I ask him if I could get a pinch from him. As he pulled the can out of his pocket, he said to me, "your mean this?". He opened it and it was empty! He then told me, "I don't use this crap, but carry it because you guys do."

Another dude, in a nightclub as well, told me he was a team roper. But, when I asked him the brand of rope he used, he said "I don't know" and walked away.

Now, what I'm wondering is, what you folks think of the stock contractors? Are they the "real" thing?

Also, one last thing here, if anyone in this forum is uncomfortable with the way my personality is, as in bragging, dropping World Champion names............whatever, let me know and I'll bow out of the forum for good.

IOW, I done a thread here asking about Cinch jeans, not to be ridiculed for being a former rodeo cowboy, instead of being a present or former rancher. I'm sure there are other so-called "weekend warrior" rodeo cowboys that wouldn't want to be ridiculed for not being involved in ranching.

The stock contractors I know are Ranchers. They raise bucking horses and bulls and take them out on the rodeo trail. But when they aren't on the road they are ranchers who raise bucking horses instead of beef cattle. Nobody said they weren't ranchers. At least the guys I know

We don't have animosity toward rodeo athletes, it's the arseholes that get us riled. You don't fit the first description............
So, it's the "former" rodeo athletes you have animosity towards. If my personality doesn't fit what you think it should be, all I can say is.........."tough"! My wife totally agrees. IOW, like the old saying goes, "can't please everyone all of the time".
Anyway, there are a lot of "former" rodeo athletes out there, including the famous Larry Mahan.

Mr. Cody I'm going to try to make one last attempt to vocalize how I, and possibly others, feel. Please don't take it personal if my tact isn't up to the level you'd like it. Here goes......

Most of the folks who frequent this site ranch for their livelihood. It's not that I don't respect you for your rodeoing on weekends. Its just that you seem to place equal value on spending a few hours each week roping steers in a groomed arena, with the guy who ropes and doctors a sick cow half way up the side of a mountain at 10 pm in a rain storm? Its simply not close to being the same thing. Here is an example for you. Several years ago a saddle bronc horse broke his leg in a very gruesome way at a rodeo i had attended. It made me sick to see it. Immediately the horse was surrounded by pick up men, the stock contractor and his helpers, even the rodeo clowns and the in arena announcer on horseback jumped in to help hold the horse and then load him into a stock trailer. There was a Vet on standby who attempted to save the horse, but ended up having to administer the drugs to put him down. Sad story and i was very proud of everyone trying their damndest to save that horse. Only a few years before, my best friend (who happens to be married to my cousin) and his son and son in law were bringing cattle off our BLM permit in the fall. They were in Pole canyon in some nasty, steep, rough, rocky country. There wasn't another person within 25 miles of them. Phil's wonderful horse Bandit took one wrong step and fractured his leg at the knee. Compound fracture and as bad as it gets. Two men stayed with the horse to do their very best to calm and contain him, while one headed for the truck and trailer in the bottom of the canyon 5 miles away for the rifle. They did all they could, which was to humanely put the horse out of its misery. Its still raw enough for me to need to compose myself as i typed that.

I guess the point of that example was to show that while i would consider all the participants in the arena, and up in Pole canyon, as cowboys, i would not consider the two experiences even remotely close to being the same. And THAT is what makes what happens in the arena so vastly different that what happens on a ranch! Rodeo is done in a mostly controlled environment. The arena is groomed, there are high intensity lights, there are pick up men and bulldoggers have a hazing partner, team roping steers leave from a chute, ect. Now i will admit i competed at a few rodeos where the chaos outweighed the control. I've seen bulls jump fences and steers refuse to run. But the majority of the time, control is the name of the game inside the arena. Conversely, ranch work is constantly not very controlled. Sure, we try to keep to a plan, but those plans often go out the window when things happen. Riding a saddle bronc horse for eight seconds isn't nearly the same as breaking a colt to become a ranch horse. Heading a steer on a level, groomed arena doesn't compare to chasing wild cattle in a BC thicket or on the Arizona strip.

We truly appreciate your interest in ranch life and this forum. What kind of irks some of us is you seem to place equal value on what happens in the rodeo arena and what happens 24/7 on a ranch. I need to be clear- I have a full time job and only ranch part time. My livelihood does not depend upon my ranch. The people who can totally sustain their family only by ranching have my highest regard. To me, they are true to life HEROS, in this day and age when 2% of the population feeds the other 98% of the world. But i have worked on ranches since i was eight years old. I take great pride in the fact that my neighbors call me and my kids when they need ranch help. Its a badge of honor that they trust me to help with their cattle and horses and livestock. You can also be very proud of your accomplishments as a team roper. AS YOU SHOULD! All Rodeo contestants are usually amazing athlete's and have done some really impressive things. But, and there's always a but, In my experience, only a very special few can leave the arena and be an asset on a ranch. The Wright boys from Milford Utah are exceptional ranchers. As are others i have no doubt.

Mr. Cody, i don't want you to run off from this site. But please quit lumping everyone in together in one big pot. There are many different levels of people in every vocation. Just because somebody wears this type hat or those style boots doesn't make them one thing or the other. And if you continue to judge everyone in a superficial way, frankly it makes you lose credibility. It's my hope that you enjoy yourself here and keep posting. If I'm not inclined to post a reply it's because I'm not interested. Nothing personal sir. But I'd highly encourage you to find a working ranch and spend a day seeing how different life is there compared to what you know from inside the arena. It will open your eyes and change your perspective. I'd invite ya out to our little outfit, but we are a long way from you. Thanks for letting me tell ya my side. Regards

Mr. Cody I'm going to try to make one last attempt to vocalize how I, and possibly others, feel. Please don't take it personal if my tact isn't up to the level you'd like it. Here goes......

Most of the folks who frequent this site ranch for their livelihood. It's not that I don't respect you for your rodeoing on weekends. Its just that you seem to place equal value on spending a few hours each week roping steers in a groomed arena, with the guy who ropes and doctors a sick cow half way up the side of a mountain at 10 pm in a rain storm? Its simply not close to being the same thing. Here is an example for you. Several years ago a saddle bronc horse broke his leg in a very gruesome way at a rodeo i had attended. It made me sick to see it. Immediately the horse was surrounded by pick up men, the stock contractor and his helpers, even the rodeo clowns and the in arena announcer on horseback jumped in to help hold the horse and then load him into a stock trailer. There was a Vet on standby who attempted to save the horse, but ended up having to administer the drugs to put him down. Sad story and i was very proud of everyone trying their damndest to save that horse. Only a few years before, my best friend (who happens to be married to my cousin) and his son and son in law were bringing cattle off our BLM permit in the fall. They were in Pole canyon in some nasty, steep, rough, rocky country. There wasn't another person within 25 miles of them. Phil's wonderful horse Bandit took one wrong step and fractured his leg at the knee. Compound fracture and as bad as it gets. Two men stayed with the horse to do their very best to calm and contain him, while one headed for the truck and trailer in the bottom of the canyon 5 miles away for the rifle. They did all they could, which was to humanely put the horse out of its misery. Its still raw enough for me to need to compose myself as i typed that.

I guess the point of that example was to show that while i would consider all the participants in the arena, and up in Pole canyon, as cowboys, i would not consider the two experiences even remotely close to being the same. And THAT is what makes what happens in the arena so vastly different that what happens on a ranch! Rodeo is done in a mostly controlled environment. The arena is groomed, there are high intensity lights, there are pick up men and bulldoggers have a hazing partner, team roping steers leave from a chute, ect. Now i will admit i competed at a few rodeos where the chaos outweighed the control. I've seen bulls jump fences and steers refuse to run. But the majority of the time, control is the name of the game inside the arena. Conversely, ranch work is constantly not very controlled. Sure, we try to keep to a plan, but those plans often go out the window when things happen. Riding a saddle bronc horse for eight seconds isn't nearly the same as breaking a colt to become a ranch horse. Heading a steer on a level, groomed arena doesn't compare to chasing wild cattle in a BC thicket or on the Arizona strip.

We truly appreciate your interest in ranch life and this forum. What kind of irks some of us is you seem to place equal value on what happens in the rodeo arena and what happens 24/7 on a ranch. I need to be clear- I have a full time job and only ranch part time. My livelihood does not depend upon my ranch. The people who can totally sustain their family only by ranching have my highest regard. To me, they are true to life HEROS, in this day and age when 2% of the population feeds the other 98% of the world. But i have worked on ranches since i was eight years old. I take great pride in the fact that my neighbors call me and my kids when they need ranch help. Its a badge of honor that they trust me to help with their cattle and horses and livestock. You can also be very proud of your accomplishments as a team roper. AS YOU SHOULD! All Rodeo contestants are usually amazing athlete's and have done some really impressive things. But, and there's always a but, In my experience, only a very special few can leave the arena and be an asset on a ranch. The Wright boys from Milford Utah are exceptional ranchers. As are others i have no doubt.

Mr. Cody, i don't want you to run off from this site. But please quit lumping everyone in together in one big pot. There are many different levels of people in every vocation. Just because somebody wears this type hat or those style boots doesn't make them one thing or the other. And if you continue to judge everyone in a superficial way, frankly it makes you lose credibility. It's my hope that you enjoy yourself here and keep posting. If I'm not inclined to post a reply it's because I'm not interested. Nothing personal sir. But I'd highly encourage you to find a working ranch and spend a day seeing how different life is there compared to what you know from inside the arena. It will open your eyes and change your perspective. I'd invite ya out to our little outfit, but we are a long way from you. Thanks for letting me tell ya my side. Regards
And, I want to truly THANK YOU for your post here. You have, without a doubt, opened my eyes much better than they were.

I hav watched documentaries on ranching and most definitely know how much work goes into running one. It is not, and I do mean "not" an easy job.

And, I want to truly THANK YOU for your post here. You have, without a doubt, opened my eyes much better than they were.

I hav watched documentaries on ranching and most definitely know how much work goes into running one. It is not, and I do mean "not" an easy job.
You saw a lot of the romance of ranching in most documentaries. People at brandings dressed for the camera, cowboys riding off to find strays etc. Very few are covered in cow sh..., very few with ball caps or gum boots, very few driving older vehicles because other things take precedence for money.
My wife and I started with nothing but dreams, ambition and opportunities. We didn't get where we are today by worrying what jeans were best or if our hats had dust on them. We raised two fine young men who have their own lives and we are proud of them. We top most every cattle sale we sell at and have buyers offering big money for our calves in private sales every year.
This all was accomplished by hard work, integrity and honesty. If you have those and a belief in the Good Lord there is not much that is impossible in this world.
When someone like you comes along that really represents none of these things to me and places value in appearance and what you think WE are above other things it gets my back up.
As I said before, some blessings we don't ever appreciate enough and the fact that you are not a community member in my hometown is definitely one for me.

Done now.

You saw a lot of the romance of ranching in most documentaries. People at brandings dressed for the camera, cowboys riding off to find strays etc. Very few are covered in cow sh..., very few with ball caps or gum boots, very few driving older vehicles because other things take precedence for money.
My wife and I started with nothing but dreams, ambition and opportunities. We didn't get where we are today by worrying what jeans were best or if our hats had dust on them. We raised two fine young men who have their own lives and we are proud of them. We top most every cattle sale we sell at and have buyers offering big money for our calves in private sales every year.
This all was accomplished by hard work, integrity and honesty. If you have those and a belief in the Good Lord there is not much that is impossible in this world.
When someone like you comes along that really represents none of these things to me and places value in appearance and what you think WE are above other things it gets my back up.
As I said before, some blessings we don't ever appreciate enough and the fact that you are not a community member in my hometown is definitely one for me.

Done now.
Actually, "no" or "very little" romance in the documentaries. Now, the movie, Yellowstone, that's exactly what it was, was a movie. But, the Director stated that he wanted to make it as authentic as possible. To wife and I, it was pretty authentic, but then again, we love that kind of movie.

When I done my weekend rodeos, the sponsorship patch program wasn't going on, but different contestants, like myself, had PRCA Circuit jacket to wear.
Come to think about it, at the NFR in Vegas, I've seen numerous embroidery jackets with the name of a ranch on the front and back. So, many ranchers like to show off their ranch name.

Now, calm down, Mountain Cowgirl!! I know what you think of urban full-time working rodeo cowboys, like I was. I only done rodeo on the weekends, just like the guys I knew.........a defense lawyer, a Deputy Sheriff, a high school teacher and on and on. Yes, we were all "urban", but so what??? And, I'm sure, without a doubt, none of them would take it too nicely you calling them "urban contestants that lack common sense". Tell that to the lawyer, Deputy and high school teacher. I'm sure they'd have some nice, and perhaps, not so nice, things to say to you.

And, if you really want to know, I can be very arrogant, and humorous, and my wife absolutely loves it.
"And, if you really want to know, I can be very arrogant, and humorous, and my wife absolutely loves it."

Good thing she does because several of us don't.
Humor goes a long ways here but arrogance is another thing and you've given us big doses of it.
As for "moving along"...maybe you should take your own advice. We have been nicer to you than you deserve.

Well, I was very graciously accepted into this forum due to my interest in the ranch life. There are those in this forum who are no longer ranchers that are totally accepted.
I will make this last try to explain something to you that I have failed at before. Try to see I am directly addressing what you posted above. I am not picking on you, just trying to get you off your high horse and open your eyes that it was not the forum members, but you that created the problem.

You joined the forum saying you had an interest in ranch life, but you never participated in threads dealing with members' ranch lives. This is not a rehearsed or edited documentary, this is the real deal and current history. Now calmly think about this. We have posted about branding with photos and interesting stories. Did you comment, ask questions, or engage in any way? No, you did not. Why would someone that has the interest you claim you have in RANCH LIFE not comment when Webfoot posts a photo of amazing 60-year-old ranch women that is just about as good a roper as anyone anywhere in the world whether ranch or rodeo? Her horse is a beauty and a great roping horse, but yet no comment from you who claims to know everything about roping and roping horses.

There are many other threads that I would think would have sparked your interest, but nope, no interaction. Instead, we see you posting many posts about things that interest very few if anyone here, but some reply to be kind and encouraging. If you get no reply, you get uptight and rude in my way of thinking. You demand attention!

Faster Horses says it accurately. She is older than you and still mentors youth in roping and riding. She is still active one way or another in rodeo. She tried to engage with you and find out more about your former roping horses. You ignored her and changed the subject. Immediately some here got suspicious. Why would one like yourself so enamored with timed event arena roping, not want to talk about their former horses? Why would one that likes to brag about weekend rodeo roping not post an old photo of at least their horse? FH was genuinely interested as she has great knowledge and love for what you claimed you were an expert. Any honest expert roper will admit that their horse is the better half of the equation participating in timed events. You have mentioned header and heeler more times on this forum than most highly accomplished ropers do in a lifetime. We got it, you know the jargon. Who doesn't? In my opinion, the one that ropes the back legs is more skilled than the one that ropes the head. You speak of your heeler like they were working for you and you were the star of the show.

So please think about it Cody, you join here expecting others living the life or ones like me that did and still do to a smaller degree as health allows, to be impressed with photos of plastic ranch animals and corrals or talk of your rodeo life that is in general and avoiding all questions about your horse or ropes. You show no interest when Webfoot posts a photo from one of his many rodeo bull rides and you don't comment or ask questions. You might have found out he does know more about rodeo than all the rest of us put together.

It is your own lack of genuine interest and interaction on threads dealing with daily ranch life and continual posting of topics of low or no interest in which you beg for responses and attention, that has led to many here getting fed up with your continual mention of famous names, repetition about your favorite western wear, and always mentioning rodeo roping. It seems impossible for you to post anything that doesn't come across as boastful or arrogant. As a woman I find your comments about your wife to be disrespectful.

In summary, I fail to see that you have one speck of genuine interest in the ranching way of life.

Last edited:
I will make this last try to explain something to you that I have failed at before. Try to see I am directly addressing what you posted above. I am not picking on you, just trying to get you off your high horse and open your eyes that it was not the forum members, but you that created the problem.

You joined the forum saying you had an interest in ranch life, but you never participated in threads dealing with members' ranch lives. This is not a rehearsed or edited documentary, this is the real deal and current history. Now calmly think about this. We have posted about branding with photos and interesting stories. Did you comment, ask questions, or engage in any way? No, you did not. Why would someone that has the interest you claim you have in RANCH LIFE not comment when Webfoot posts a photo of amazing 60-year-old ranch women that is just about as good a roper as anyone anywhere in the world whether ranch or rodeo? Her horse is a beauty and a great roping horse, but yet no comment from you who claims to know everything about roping and roping horses.

There are many other threads that I would think would have sparked your interest, but nope, no interaction. Instead, we see you posting many posts about things that interest very few if anyone here, but some reply to be kind and encouraging. If you get no reply, you get uptight and rude in my way of thinking. You demand attention!

Faster Horses says it accurately. She is older than you and still mentors youth in roping and riding. She is still active one way or another in rodeo. She tried to engage with you and find out more about your former roping horses. You ignored her and changed the subject. Immediately some here got suspicious. Why would one like yourself so enamored with timed event arena roping, not want to talk about their former horses? Why would one that likes to brag about weekend rodeo roping not post an old photo of at least their horse? FH was genuinely interested as she has great knowledge and love for what you claimed you were an expert. Any honest expert roper will admit that their horse is the better half of the equation participating in timed events. You have mentioned header and heeler more times on this forum than most highly accomplished ropers do in a lifetime. We got it, you know the jargon. Who doesn't? In my opinion, the one that ropes the back legs is more skilled than the one that ropes the head. You speak of your heeler like they were working for you and you were the star of the show.

So please think about it Cody, you join here expecting others living the life or ones like me that did and still do to a smaller degree as health allows, to be impressed with photos of plastic ranch animals and corrals or talk of your rodeo life that is in general and avoiding all questions about your horse or ropes. You show no interest when Webfoot posts a photo from one of his many rodeo bull rides and you don't comment or ask questions. You might have found out he does know more about rodeo than all the rest of us put together.

It is your own lack of genuine interest and interaction on threads dealing with daily ranch life and continual posting of topics of low or no interest in which you beg for responses and attention, that has led to many here getting fed up with your continual mention of famous names, repetition about your favorite western wear, and always mentioning rodeo roping. It seems impossible for you to post anything that doesn't come across as boastful or arrogant. As a woman I find your comments about your wife to be disrespectful.

In summary, I fail to see that you have one speck of genuine interest in the ranching way of life.
First thing, why would wife and I be a Supporting Member (donated money), if we had no interest??? Very good question, huh?
And, on top of that, if wife and I had no interest in the ranching life, why on earth would we have a full length counter, between our kitchen and dining area, with miniature livestock in corrals and three cowboys (two on horseback with ropes)? We also have miniature farm equipment and a stock trailer. We aren't small children that would play with this stuff, we are displaying it, because we like the way it looks!

And, on top of that, I have asked questions about ranching, including the type of cattle ranchers own and about going to a livestock sale. We actually go to a livestock sale to watch, do you? And, I can watch many "live" sales on my desktop.

Now, if that doesn't show an interest in ranching, I don't know what does. Neither of us have ever ranched, so asking those questions and having a small figurine display is the best we can do.

I have very little interest in bull riding or other rough stock events. I wasn't involved with that.

Last edited:
"And, if you really want to know, I can be very arrogant, and humorous, and my wife absolutely loves it."

Good thing she does because several of us don't.
Humor goes a long ways here but arrogance is another thing and you've given us big doses of it.
As for "moving along"...maybe you should take your own advice. We have been nicer to you than you deserve.
First, when I said "move along", I was quoting that from Star Wars and intended it to mean "let's get back to the thread".
Don't like somewhat arrogant people? A good thing about being arrogant, to a point, is being self-confident. Being self-confident is a good-go-great thing.
My wife loves my personality. She would tell anyone, "not a dull time here".
My wife is very proud of my years in rodeo, just as much as I am. We absolutely love rodeo and one of the major reasons we left northeastern Florida, after living there for 10 1/2 years, and returned to Colorado.
And, it's hard for me to understand your saying, "we've been nicer to you than you deserve".

Perhaps I did make a mistake in getting involved with this forum. But, I will say this also, apparently not everyone feels the way you and some others do, or I'd been kicked off of this forum long ago. Right? I mean, the Admin can shut me down and not allow me to sign in............but, so far, that hasn't happened!

Admin doesn't kick people off here just because they aren't ranchers.
Abusive, Bullying or foul language would get you kicked off.
Most of us have been here 15 years almost 20 , Gone through format change, owners of the forum and lots of posters.. This place is a shadow of it's former glory, Back in the R-calf days, BSE in Canada we had huge arguments , a few people got mad and left , some got warned but I can't name one that got kicked off, Maybe they weren't very memorable.

I just want to make sure that everyone in this forum knows that we contributed some money to this forum. That is why we have Supporting Member listed under our name.

Now, if we had no interest at all in ranching, why would we financially support this forum?

Even though I no longer rope, we support PRCA rodeo as well, by getting The Cowboy Channel and being yearly members of the Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs.

Was also thinking of other ranch/farm things we could show some financial support to.

Showing financial support to something isn't being a "wannabee cowboy" or a "wannabee farmer".

Anyway, just some things for members here to think about before criticizing me or us too much.

Thanks!

400wm.jpg

Latest posts